• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Trimming a hpi baja body...

Pistonpower

Guys first of all thank you for all the support and wise words you lads have giving me when my grandad passed away, the funeral was yesterday and I really need to get something of my mind so I'm going to start on my hpi baja body to keep me sain.... The body needs trimming and I was thinking what tool is the best for trimming a lexan body? Thanks

Guys first of all thank you for all the support and wise words you lads have giving me when my grandad passed away, the funeral was yesterday and I really need to get something of my mind so I'm going to start on my hpi baja body to keep me sain.... The body needs trimming and I was thinking what tool is the best for trimming a lexan body? Thanks

lexan curved scissors and a dremel sander wheel/disc for making nice wheel arches

A scalpel is defintiely NOT what you want to use. Scissors work far better followed by a bit of sanding. Far too easy to slice into the shell with a scalpel whilst cutting as you will need a fair bit of pressure to cut the lexan.

There are no tricky corners on a Baja shell really, and even if there were, a scalpel is much harder to cut inside curves with due to the shape of the blade.

You have asked fror advice....and been given it. Including links to the right tool for the job but you are still linking back to scalpels. If you really want to use scalpels ...use them.

A scalpel is defintiely NOT what you want to use. Scissors work far better followed by a bit of sanding. Far too easy to slice into the shell with a scalpel whilst cutting as you will need a fair bit of pressure to cut the lexan.

There are no tricky corners on a Baja shell really, and even if there were, a scalpel is much harder to cut inside curves with due to the shape of the blade.

You have asked fror advice....and been given it. Including links to the right tool for the job but you are still linking back to scalpels. If you really want to use scalpels ...use them.

Ok tha Los for that I've ordered the scissors should get then on Tuesday next thing to order is paint still deciding on a paint scheme I was thinking of something plain (one colour) but now I would like to try some patterns anyone have any tutorial how to cut and spray up a lexan body much appreciated

There are lots on YouTube.

A few simple guidelines:

1) Use thin coats and let it dry to at least tacky before putting on the next coat. Dont be in a hurry to lay on loads of paint. It will just run and sag and look awful

2) Surface prep is VITAL. I wash a shell and then scour it with one of those green washing up pad things everywhere bar the windows to key the surface

3) Warm up your paint. This cold weather is a killer for paint. Run some warm water from the tap ( not so hot you can't put your hand in) and dunk the paint in before use for 5 minutes or so.

4) Spray in a well ventilated area and use a mask. Aerosol paint is nasty stuff

I use a scalpel to cut Baja shells along with lexan scissors, ok to use a scalpel if you have a steady hand, go light first to make a score line, go over with scalpel a second time applying a little more pressure then use scissors for the awkward sections