• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

hi octane fuel ?

snapon

High octane ratings don't in themselves mean you will get more power. The octane rating of a fuel is simply a measure of its resistance to detonation so you need to increase the compression ratio of your engine to take advantage of the high octane. Its the compression ratio which determines the power in this case. Real cars have engine management computers and knock sensors, some cars are set up to use high octane fuels but for more there is no advantage as the ECU can only retard the ignition from its standard setting, not advance it until you get detonation.

So, to sum up, the best fuel to use is the one that just avoids detonation.

• Like 1

Reading through are you ok using standard petrol?? As that is what I use, And would you notice difference going to shell v power as that is all that my dads tvr runs on! Sorry for invading your thread mate :whistling:

you may see a slight, and i mean slight improvement in performance but nothing to write home about. they are perfectly fine to run on 'standard' fuel bare in mind our fuel is more potent and of higher quality than standard fuel in the states and in the manual it will say to use standard 'gas' so you are already running it effectively on premium fuel

you may see a slight, and i mean slight improvement in performance but nothing to write home about. they are perfectly fine to run on 'standard' fuel bare in mind our fuel is more potent and of higher quality than standard fuel in the states and in the manual it will say to use standard 'gas' so you are already running it effectively on premium fuel

True thanks

No improvement in performance from standard 95 Ron over 98 Ron UNLESS your running more compression. You can do this relatively easily by removing the head gasket and just using silicone or a thin copper gasket. You need to be very careful though and check squish or compression ratio CR. Too high compression and you'll get detonation, although the higher octane fuel will help with this.

Anyway, the upshot is that running 98 over 95 will give ZERO increase in performance unless you change something else.

BTW, the US grades its fuel differently to the UK, their 91 standard pump gas is not as poor quality as it sounds.

• Like 1