• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

anybody tried these batteries please?

biggamehunter

hi all just wondering if anyone can help me , has anyone had any experience/used/owned one of these batteries from hobby power please they are 5100mah and are pretty cheap ?? which raises the questin are the good or bunk , i have had batteries in the past ,not these , but other cheap makes and they have turned out to be nothing like the listed ampage and much much less than it has said on the wrapping ,wondering if these are the same or are they tidy , any help will be very much appreciated thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230741034552

or these ,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220926356221

i have a 3600 of the core ones and its not too bad but second hand when i had it and dont know how old so cant tell realy

Edited by biggamehunter

I think that may be the reason right there. LiPo batteries have become the mainstream choice, so economies of scale allow them to be made, distributed and sold more cheaply than high-capacity NiMH batteries, which are not as popular. That's my theory at any rate!

• Like 1

Bought one from Toxic Basher (5100 Powertech), should be delivered tomorrow.

Will give it a good charge and post back.

Also be using it with my brushless when that arrives next week

Edited by roy8846
  • Like 1

Bought one from Toxic Basher (5100 Powertech), should be delivered tomorrow.

Will give it a good charge and post back.

Also be using it with my brushless when that arrives next week

excelent !!!!! and thanks greatly for your input roy , :thumbsup:

I have the rc power tech 5100 and have been using since Xmas. My advice is stear clear. It will only take about 1800 mah at a time (regardless of how many amps im charging at) and after that will take two or three more shots of about 500 mah, so capacity seems to be about 3500 at best.

Pain in the arse having to keep topping it up and still not getting good long runs out of it.

I bought it instead of an hpi 3300 mah 8.4 v battery because it should have given longer runs (no other good branded, large 8.4v bats available with the tamiya connector). That was a mistake. Called modelsport who said I should do some full charge, discharge cycles. I'll finish that at the weekend and if it still plays up it will be going back. I assume from Modelsport it should be easier to return sub par goods, rather than on eBay, so I am optimistic of getting it replaced for a product that works as described.

Long story short, my experience of these batteries, not good so far, stick with a known brand if you can.

• Like 1

I have the rc power tech 5100 and have been using since Xmas. My advice is stear clear. It will only take about 1800 mah at a time (regardless of how many amps im charging at) and after that will take two or three more shots of about 500 mah, so capacity seems to be about 3500 at best.

Pain in the arse having to keep topping it up and still not getting good long runs out of it.

I bought it instead of an hpi 3300 mah 8.4 v battery because it should have given longer runs (no other good branded, large 8.4v bats available with the tamiya connector). That was a mistake. Called modelsport who said I should do some full charge, discharge cycles. I'll finish that at the weekend and if it still plays up it will be going back. I assume from Modelsport it should be easier to return sub par goods, rather than on eBay, so I am optimistic of getting it replaced for a product that works as described.

Long story short, my experience of these batteries, not good so far, stick with a known brand if you can.

thanks greatly , thats exactly what i wanted (or not ) i got the same problem of batterys saying one thing and acting like another ?? these seem to be the same then ?

Yep, same as one in your first link. It was sold as modelsport brand and chap on the phone said it would be fine quality when I said will it be as reliables as an hpi. So not happy really. If they'll exchange it with no fuss then no problem. As far as I'm concerned it's faulty, says 5100 mah and it's clearly not.

Whereas the two hpi bats I have charge to max, and even the1800 mah one that came with my steps son's maverick strada works fine. In my short experience, trusted brands seem to be the way to go with batteries.

Ive wrapped mine in leccy tape so cant see the labels, i'll try and get a link but they are 4s 5000mah 50C, always balance properly and take about 4600-4700 every charge so give or take 500-1000mah left in the pack after a run cut off at 3.4v per cell.

Hmmmmm, cant find them on there, same look as the winmax ones, will unwrap one

Edited by NuttyProfessor

my dad has the first battery in your first post and steer clear!

even only used for a bait boat its crap! total and utter waste of money!

get a decent make of battery, i have 6 of these http://www.modelsport.co.uk/orion-sport-power-pack-4500-7.2v-/rc-car-products/37587

amazing batterys, last so long i give up before they do!

great info guys , a big thanks to old willy, nuttyprofessor, bonez and dglegend , great info fair play !!!!!!! :thumbsup: i think im going to go for the orions in your link bonez , and nuttyprofessor i have never seen any batteryleyeyles like that , lmfao :xd: but thanks greatly for your time and input

• Like 2

If it was my money I would go for the vapextech too Orion are over ratted in my book.