• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hubsan mastered, what next?

Carpmart

So, I've been playing with/learning/mastering a Hubsan for a few weeks now (BTW - how do you set it permanently to expert?) and even if I say so myself, I'm relatively competent now, all be it indoors only so far!

As a novice, am I learning the same skills I will need to fly a helicopter (controls wise) or have I just learnt how do do something which has little or no bearing to flying a copter?

Assuming the skills are transferable (?) what recommendations do people have for my next flying craft?

Thanks!

Skip coax, if u can fly a quad in expert then a Fixed pitch heli or a biiger quad will be fine...might even be able to go collective pitch if our brave...I went from a 3ch to a 6ch helicopter without many issues...I'd recommend a cheap collective pitch...as you WILL get bored of a cx2 in days and many even straight away given your quad experience and its not a step up skill wise.

I'd recommended a MSRX or if you want to save on buying to helis before you go onto a 450 get a ncpx + dx6i then in the new year move onto a full size 450 or bigger....

Peoples make a big fuse that colletive pitch is hard to fly but in reality with a a good TX and a sim of some kind you can learn to fly collective with no other experience, but to save cash start on a small bird like a ncpx, mcpx, Or if brave trex 250, Eflight 130x or 300x of u have a bit more money.

So OK IMO just go for It , you don't need to bother with small coax helis, although they are good fun even if your a pro there's a place for cheap 4ch helis as its nice easy fun with no need to worry about concentrateing hard and they can be flown indoors.

Edited by TheCollectiveAnt

Thanks for all the responses so far. The replies have made me realise that I'm even a novice at understanding the language of Heli's coax, fixed pitch, collective etc. Is there a simple guide to the different types of heli? From the replies, I guess with the controls I have on the Hubsan in expert, I've similar experience to the controls on a 4 channel fixed pitch heli, is that correct? So, what are the best/easiest/cheapest for spares in this class?

Also with a larger quad, what should I be looking at? Is a large quad as much fun as a larger 4 ch Heli?

coax is 2 sets of blades

fixed pitch is one set of blades that are fixed at a certain pitch

collective pitch is where the blades change pitch as your flying with what the controller inputs are

Yep so I had that level already, (although thanks for the reply) but where can I get a more detailed on-line, easy to digest guide to heli's and quads?

Will tell u everything you need to know from power, to types, reviews, chargers everything in between....most usfull heli site I ever found.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com

Major detail as well so you can really learn what you need to....on some of his longer posts like those about lipo battery's expect to set aside 20-60 reading time depending how fast u read...

Just use tabs on left and work or way down, ipthe beginer tops r first and advanced at the top, if you already know a lot and just like more info just pick any topic u want....he also has Ebooks for beginners on sale and reply a to emails withing 48hra as I got a reply withing 24hrs when I asked a Q.

• Like 1

Was just going to post the link above. Great info on there and I have bought a couple of his E'books as well.

Do you think heli's are something you will really to get into Harvey?

Hey Danny - how you doing? I see you've got into them recently, heli's that is!

I see it as another fleeting fancy for me (probably?) but I've enjoyed the Hubsan X4 so much and frankly with the big lounge space, have been flying that around quite successfully now. I've got though a few blades as I learnt but touch wood, its been very reliable and brilliant fun! I thought about getting something bigger (quad wise) but was then unsure if I've learnt to fly a heli now having mastered the Hubsan, or if none of the skills were transferable?

I looked at some of the larger quads (ifly4 looks great) but might also fancy a fixed pitch Heli. I'm not one for sims (or video games etc) as they just bore me to tears, so I need something that isn't mad money, spares are cheap and easy to get, my current experiences are directly transferable and that's about it really!

have you tried flips and roll-overs.

how many have you caught and how many hit the deck.

stick the hubsan into extreme mode then try some indoor flips and fliprolls.

if your flipping and rollflipping with out your own input try doing them manually

grab a cheapy spy cam hook it up and do some video flying like me.

its cool seeing the area where your flying from a different perspective of view

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 1

Was just going to post the link above. Great info on there and I have bought a couple of his E'books as well.

Do you think heli's are something you will really to get into Harvey?

not to be rude but! (beat you too it hehe.)

:tease::tank::tease:

and yhea its a good site, I would recomend getting into helis (this is obv biased) as it is hard, expensive, but rewarding...the highs you can get when you manage somthing you being trying for ages are imense...and I would compere them to flying 1:1 scale as I have done acrobatics with the cadets I used to be in and got to fly the plane and have a go at acrobatics myslef a few times and helis are the only thing that for me comes close to the thill...cant imagine what it will be like when I get into 450's!

Edited by TheCollectiveAnt

Collective Ant, thanks for your posts, great detail, a fantastic link and all in all VERY useful!

No problem as I just want to help, and if you dont like sims then a small CP heli will is basicly a sim anyways as its a no worrys flying machine, dont really ahve to worry about brakeing it once you got the basics mastered.

have you tried flips and roll-overs.

how many have you caught and how many hit the deck.

stick the hubsan into extreme mode then try some indoor flips and fliprolls.

if your flipping and rollflipping with out your own input try doing them manually

grab a cheapy spy cam hook it up and do some video flying like me.

its cool seeing the area where your flying from a different perspective of view

Yep, done a few flips and rolls and catching most now. Its not too easy indoors with six foot of altitude to play with. Looking forward to some better weather so I can try outdoors and be a bit more creative.

When you say extreme mode, do you mean expert? Where you press the joy stick and it sharpens up the controls and makes the pseudo gyro more responsive. I guess all quads are electronic wizardry as opposed to real gyro's etc.

All good here Harvey :thumbsup: Yourself?

Yep just started my heli journey, hooked!

If you can fly the Hx4 ok I would just jump straight into CP heli's but I would recommend you get a sim. Crashes are free :D Something that happens a lot when you are first learning, also as you progress you can learn new things on the sim before attempting them with your heli. Everyone I fly with put a lot of sim time in, hence why some of them are damn good pilots! Depends really if you want to get right into flying or just want to take something out the box and use it like the Hx4.

Flying CP heli's have a steep learning curve, not going to be mastered in a few weeks. Also set up is very important. Loads of Google and reading :yes:

seeing as you have a large lounge for flying in what about a Blade Nano its a Collective Pitch micro helli ?

ready to Fly

http://www.rc-choppers.com/index.cfm/product/blade-nano-cp-x-rtf-831

Bind n Fly if you already have or are planning to get a decent tx like a dx6i

http://www.rc-choppers.com/index.cfm/product/blade-nano-cp-x-bnf-813

^^ I have not flown Ncpx but it is a smaller version of what I have got the MCPX and its small size makes it hard to see at a distance but not too bad but for indoors and garden flying its brill, and from what I here the Ncpx has a lot better tail hold thus elimnateing the problem of blowouts in extreame 3D ...not that your gonna be doing that for many years lol, its also cheaper, lighter, more crash resitant and a better flying heli than my mcpx so I have heard! seond this recomendation,.

yeah expert mode buddy,

but some have hidden features, like extreme mode where they have expert rates but pro expo also dialed in.

wait till you get outside buddy, indoors is more mind numbingly slow. in the open air your not held back by any ceiling high.

as for something bigger.

it depends on how big you want to go.

a size up in quadcopter would be the Blade MQX or the Clone MQX.

bigger still your getting into the realms of Buy and Build kits.

your going from like 100g max flight weights to past 6KG flying bricks.

do you want a standard fly quad or something more clever, or something you could go nearly fully automated.

heres some of the things a quadcopter can do with a clever brain at the helm.

waypoint flight, follow waypoints

heading hold, and allitutde lock

return to home ( when quad looses signal or RTH is enabled, it sets in motion a series of moves and onboard gps to return to original point of arming.

the quad then lands and shuts down unless signal is regained)

add a secondary reciever and power source and servos.

you can hook up a camera ( DLSR/camcorder) and have a co-pilot work the pan and tilt action of the camera.

if your mainboard is clever it will also allow camera to be worked via handset.

Add a micro camera and a cheap lightweight 5.8ghz video sender, you could see what the camera is pointing at.

or fly the quadcopter in a first person perspective view ( making sure relevent laws upheld ( secondary live feed and co-pilot)

its all upto you how far you want to push the boundrys of the hobby and what to step upto next. the more technical

means the more money it will cost in the end. its just how far your willing to go.

The quad will be more like a CP Heli then you think. If your doing coordinated turns using elevator aileron and rudder then your ready for a cp Heli. The two extra channels are only mixed in the radio and just allow a more finely tuned flight.

IMO a blade nano or 130x would make an excellent next step for you, they would provide an excellent challenge and allow you to progress to 3d flight.

I guess all quads are electronic wizardry as opposed to real gyro's etc.

not really the mainboard in your hubsan quad / copter

is what we call a three - four in 1.

the old style gyro's were big servo like boxes and inside some chuncky 1980's electronics or a largish crystal gyro.

the new 2011-12 gyros are sometimes called MEMS gyros, these are a small chip with the sensors built in. and each gyro

is about the size of you little pinky finger nail, some are even smaller, but do the same job.

thesedays with Moore's law we are getting smaller and smaller, it means we can now shove lot's of electronic sensors

into one single small PCB board.

i expect one day these sensors will be added to rc choppers to give full automation. maybe even FPV flight ability.

maybe try a quad or go a size up into mini helicopters 120 -130 size

i was in same boat as yourself, had lots of little helis mainly blade cx2, cx3, raptor 30 but got board all too quicky and too scared to fly the raptor incase i lost control, brought a blade mqx and hubsan x4 and loved it easy to fly, bullet proof, ive now upgraded and currently have 2 xaircraft x650v4 quads with gps and i built a hexacopter ( 6 blades) and love it, only advise is see if there's anyone local too you i find quads alot easier to fly then helis but that prob just personal preferences, done correctly you can build a nice quad for little money if you've the time and patience

Edited by chris7star

i was in same boat as yourself, had lots of little helis mainly blade cx2, cx3, raptor 30 but got board all too quicky and too scared to fly the raptor incase i lost control, brought a blade mqx and hubsan x4 and loved it easy to fly, bullet proof, ive now upgraded and currently have 2 xaircraft x650v4 quads with gps and i built a hexacopter ( 6 blades) and love it, only advise is see if there's anyone local too you i find quads alot easier to fly then helis but that prob just personal preferences, done correctly you can build a nice quad for little money if you've the time and patience

So I think I'm set on another quad, just which one to get? There was some advice at the start of the thread but are the iFly's any good?