• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI WR8 - Getting Back Into the Game?

Kpowell911

Hi. not made an R/C related post for a while. Me and my friend are looking at potentially picking up a WR8 each. He still has a few R/C bits, But I'd be starting again.

For now, I'd use the stock radio, and just pick up 3x 3S lipos and a charger. I noticed the following on Modelsport which looks like it will fit the bill:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-sport-11.1v-3350mah-25c-lipo-pack/rc-car-products/370002

And this charger

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-lipo-battery-balance-charger-ac-dc-rc-6s-80-watt/rc-car-products/371014

Or is it still worth using Hobbyking for this sort of stuff? Any thing anyone can recommend on there for similar money?

Also, onto the car choice..... His main reason for it is he loves Ken Block, and I like HPI so we are kinda combing the 2, Having the same model has its positives too, Im not looking at getting back into this as hardcore as before ;)

Ive done a little research, I expected it to be kinda Vorza and 4S-6S Based, but i it appears based on the Bullet Flux, which I had and was fairly happy with, and the 10th Scale electrics would bring costs down. As I say I liked the Bullet, but it wasnt too fast on 2S, but was perfect on 3S. Have the electrics been upgraded to safely run 3S out of the box? Also, there was some issue with driveshafts (I believe it was them) on the bullet, has this been rectified?

Whats the WR8 like off road? 1/10th scale Rally cars weren't really upto it IMO, hows the WR8 fair?

Thanks

Yeah check out my review ^^ ;) (That was a joke, I am in no way related to or working with Jang, I am purely a fan) The rally car seems to be a lot stronger than the original Bullet. The wheels are smaller so the drive line and shafts dont take as much strain so they hold up. As for the battery shizzle, Hobbyking is the place to go. Good choice on charger :)

Thanks for the replies. I really liked the Bullet for what it was. I was one of the ""Guinea Pigs" on here to buy them when the first came out, on 3S it was a blast but wasnt really that strong, but for a Rally Car that may not be an issue!

Ill check out the video, thanks

• Like 1