• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

Yep I've tried three different oil filled shocks on the rear,I've tried softer springs and lighter oil right down to near enough water wt but the lb just doesn't have any wieght on the chassis to make the shocks work.

Got sick of the brick type bouncing off road so stuck the original friction shocks back on the rear and oil shocks on the front .

• 2 weeks later...

So, I had a Pumpkin back in 1989, loved it, still got it despite 20+ years away from the hobby.  Couple of years ago I spotted the release of the CW-01 Unimog and snapped one up straight away.  Realising my RC knowledge was well out of date, I started poking about online, saw all the stuff people were doing with their Lunchboxes and thought I ought to try it with this.

So I needed bearings from the word go, a 2.4Ghz Tx/Rx and a servo.  And a NiMh battery and charger (LiPo is a stretch too far yet).  Might as well put a Sport-Tuned motor in it as well then.  Flicking through the instructions revealed an optional driver figure so along came Willy.  Then I was tempted by a lighting kit, which led (!) to warning strobes and a receiver switch.  A set of Fastrax shocks were next, with the intention of doing the 5th shock mod plus the front strut brace.  But then I learned about the FX10 conversion so a package arrived from CRP.

After all this, it was bugging me that I'd still never had an actual Lunchbox.  So I bought a new LB body kit and alloy mounts.  And then I had inspiration on how to paint it, which required white wheels.  And so another set of tyres too.  So now I've got 2 projects to do with a shared chassis : Lunchmog/Unibox.  S'pose I ought to get on with it.  But there's a stripped-down WW2 on the bench at the moment...

unimog3.jpg

• Like 2

Are there any tougher wheels you can buy for these? Completely separated the centre from the rest of the rim!!

You could fit the 12mm hex conversion or these look decent http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tires-set-F-R-4pcs-Shock-for-tamiya-Lunch-Box-Midnight-Pumpkin-Mitsubishi-Mont-/131057396321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1e83a12a61

• Like 1

each time i see these, its making me want one :(

i used to have one if these or something like it years ago, all i remember is that you could put a penny at the back and it helps does wheelies.

im sure it was these

I thought the Lunchbox could do with some lights :)

2772278aab29aa0f589f08f142c9b9e5.jpg

44ace7be5104ba9abf8b79fb286acb6f.jpg

I'm considering doing the 5th shock mod after noticing how the whole rear axle and motor twists back far enough to hit the shock every time you apply some throttle... :o

Edited by Neil Robinson

I used Ansmann 75mm shocks. Cheap and better quality than the Lunch Box realistically needs. Only downside is the eyes can snap off easily in a crash.

Really, though, type "75mm shocks" into ebay and you get dozens of options.

• Like 1

Just pu tin the fifth shock and replace the broken little springs, handles loads better. still got friction shocks on the rest and will probably leave it that way. Other mods are 17 turn brushed motor, bearings, tyre foams and glue - not sure if they did anything and 2S Lipo

Just done fifth shock mod by replacing two rear socks with cheap oil filed jobbies and reusing one of the stock shocks. Mounted it through the rod that the gearbox hinges on.

Also fitted an uprated servo earlier in the week which helps a fair bit... When the wheels are on the ground anyway!

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

Next job will be a sport tuned motor.

Edited by Neil Robinson

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought my first midnight pumpkin. been interested in tamiya mini coopers for a while and bought this to fit m03 bodies on for some off road action. After build had plenty of parts left over, is this normal. followed the instructions twice in case missed anything out.

Is the mod for bracing the chassis a good idea As I haven't used it yet I am thinking of doing as much as I can to strengthen it before I do .looking to make a frame to support the the bodies and could use this to strengthen the chassis as well

How robust are they? I take it I will need plenty of spares.

The stock chassis is fine IMO.  The front wheels tend to break (in a way that's easy to repair), and a high-torque metal-gear servo is definitely a good idea as normal ones can get sheared easily in collisions with hard objects ... the body mounts tend to go too, but if you're using a different body I guess that's unlikely to be an issue!

Thanks for the reply. The body posts are not an issue as I have made brackets to take tamiya mo3 body posts. I will look on eBay for the metal gear servo. I am having an issue with I think the receiver, when the car reaches the bottom of the garden -about 35 feet away it looses conection. I have tried 3 different receivers and still the same. Anybody got any ideas.