• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunderwolf's Fleet - Methanol Baja

Thunderwolf

thanks fella. sorta on hold for abit due to cash flow issues but i am planning bits still for it.

@ rcbutcher:- thanks, not much in terms of vids though, not done one in awhile now as not got anything to show, link to the channel is in my sig though :)

pictureless update.

went on the hunt on my baja trying to find the reason the brakes don't work.

i did a test awhile back to see how much difference they make, first not using the brakes then again but with the brakes as a far as they would go.

brakes off = approx 20 feet

brakes on = approx 18 feet

this is not good, if you don't know already i have tried to get them to work on and off for the last 3 years (they seemed to give up after 5 tanks).

so far i have replaced the linkage with the yamadude linkage, made setting it up easier but didn't help the brakes alot.

then added a Turtle Racing brake mount which takes out the plastic parts in the brake system, this didn't do much either.

finaly i have put a savox 1258mg servo in there, which in fairness did help but no near good enough.

now i have been told the replacing the ninja star that goes between the 2 brake disks with a 3rd brake disk (so there are 3 disks pressed together) is ment to have helped alot of people get some use out of the brakes, as i had one left over from redline (i bought 4 disk, 3 for redline, 1 to replace the star on shiela) and today i have cleaned up the rear abit (bit of oil from the exhaust coming loose afew runs back) and put this 3rd disk into the brake system.

shall be testing it sometime between now and sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

went to a bash last sunday with the baja, hong nor and the marder.

the hong nor got off lightly, i stop playing after the motor screws came loose and the motor shifted and lost mesh, no big dead there.

the marder had some issues with the brakes, after trying to get them to be more balanced i finaly got them to both work but now i have an issue of them sticking, as the brakes only stop the front wheels this made steering a problem, in the end i ended up hit some concrete and broke the front bulk head, only the plastic bit so no big deal but the brakes need to be dealt with before i run her again.

baja was great for most of the time then the engine just died, when i went to restart her the pullstart had little restance. i have just now taken off the fan cover and cowl, found 2 bits of metal lingering around the pullstart area, one is a chip off one of the blades on the flywheel, the other i'm not sure yet, i can turn the flywheel fine with little resistance, i had the plug out but it was too dark to see if the piston was moving, after afew complete turns it just jammed, something is now stopping it moving all the way but i don't know what.

looks like i need to take off the flywheel and the engine head to see whats up, but as of now i have no idea what wrong with it.

• 1 month later...

well i got a new engine coming for the baja soon so i got the rest of the engine out.

i knew already the crank case was shot from the little metal fragment i found in the pull start housing so thought i'd take a better look at it and well.....

DSC08128.jpg

DSC08127.jpg

crank looks ok as do the bearings so i may take them out for spares if they look ok, it turns freely so i think they are good.

i have come up to an issue in the gearbox, its very gritty so i think one of the gears or bearing are shot, most likely the gears as they were in the car when i got it so they have had a hard life.

if thats the case given the new engine i'll put the new gearbox i have on skarlett in it as its got the hd gears fitted.

one of the dog bones is also very bent, looks like an S shape now, its on the side i landed on at the msuk jam so maybe thats what did it, the other side seems ok but i have known they had both been twisted for some time.

well today brought me in search of the problem with the gearbox.

DSC08129.jpg

DSC08131.jpg

seems the engine had other ideas on me just fitting a new one, seems the parts have hit the screw (and with some force) which had been touching the idler gear and the drive gear inside the gear box which was what was making it so rough, gears are 100% fine, look the same as they did when i last looked at them.

2 of the bearings had their rubber shields pop out, just popped them back in and they seem fine aswell but the gearbox case is fairly stuffed.

talking of stuffed i took the dog bones out, one is twisted, the other is twisted and looks like an S

DSC08133.jpg

on a totaly different note i got in the psot a rocker switch which i shall be using to relocate the on/off switch in the radio box, wasn't going to but why not.

Edited by Thunderwolf

see pictures.

DSC08136.jpg

DSC08137.jpg

DSC08140.jpg

came as a long block, has a billet crank case, is 29.5cc and runs on methanol.

fitted the v2 tr clutch hosing which was going to be used on redline/skarlett, also putting on the v2 clutch system.

Too long, make it run!

working on it, require new drive shafts, fuel and oil, and finaly i need to get the cpi pipe painted, none of which i can do untill i sell some stuff

Hmm, why methanol?

because i want to and i can, i have no real reason for anything.

• Like 2

working on it, require new drive shafts, fuel and oil, and finaly i need to get the cpi pipe painted, none of which i can do untill i sell some stuff

because i want to and i can, i have no real reason for anything.

Fair play, I wasn't sure if their was a reason or just to try it or whatever.

Any advantages to the methanol?

pros and cons.

pros are cooler burning fuel, more power.

cons include higher maintenance (purging after the days running) not all 2 stroke oil mixes well with methanol and you are required to leave the engine to warm up for longer before really gunning it (due to cooler burn of the fuel

How much power increase? How much is methanol?

power wise i'm not sure but i will once i start running the car again, won't be a good thing to compair it to the 30.5cc long rod though as it will be on a cpi big bore pipe, not the v2 dom.

price wise is better than most people think, 5litres of methanol (99.9% pure) is around

Interesting stuff, however, I'm thinking that a small engine producing that much power could potentially go bang? Big stylie? Like boom?

Loving the idea and look forward to your updates.

(Not loving the idea of it going "pop", I'm loving the whole methanol thing!)

ok so few parts turned up and i got the baja mostly back together.

DSC08143.jpg

a 2nd gearbox case turned up, gears and bearings swapped over, dumped a healthy load of grease into it and all done

hd dogbones also turn up, quick dremel session on the pins so they fit inside the dark soul tubes

engine is in, came with a airfilter holder (shreadstack style) that allowed the use of a normal carb to be used (a 990 n this case), i have also fitted all the other parts you need to do.

replaced the v1 turtle racing hd clutch system with the v2 version, and i did the same for the clutch housing, i have also taken the brake pads out and replaced with new ones, an old pad also got removed from it metal plate an stuck in the middle, making a low budget 3 pad set up.

DSC08145.jpg

the cpi big bore exhaust pipe and header have been sent off to be stripped back and powdercoated and is all the remains to put on the car before the first start up.

i also have a switch which i shall be soldering up shortly so i can both relocate it to the top of the radio box and make it easier to know if i've left it turned on. more on that another time