• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

(Updated 1st Oct 2012 page 4) Gutted - need advice about where I stand! :-(

Carpmart

Yes I have indeed!

Have they said that it wasn't broken when it was sent? If so, I'm pretty sure you will be able to claim through the insurance (as both sender and receiver claim the same thing) - that's what it's there for.

Response from seller below:

Hi Harvey

Just saw your email and can assure that the kart was completely intact when packaged and I took every care to protect it

while in transit and as you know I even put a label - HANDLE WITH CARE FRAGILE

I can only think that the parcel was dropped on its belly which has caused some flexing to the front of the chassis

I will go through my stored pictures of my various models and see if I can come up with some photos of the front end and will try to think of some way of how you could tackle repairs

Obviously if you are claiming against the courier, you will need a statement of condition from myself

I am truly sorry that this has happened and will endeavour to help you in any way I can

Regards Robin

Response from seller below:

Hi Harvey

Just saw your email and can assure that the kart was completely intact when packaged and I took every care to protect it

while in transit and as you know I even put a label - HANDLE WITH CARE FRAGILE

I can only think that the parcel was dropped on its belly which has caused some flexing to the front of the chassis

I will go through my stored pictures of my various models and see if I can come up with some photos of the front end and will try to think of some way of how you could tackle repairs

Obviously if you are claiming against the courier, you will need a statement of condition from myself

I am truly sorry that this has happened and will endeavour to help you in any way I can

Regards Robin

sounds like your dealing with a decent guy, tbf if it was damaged before posting i guess he wouldn't have gone to such great lengths to package it well

• Like 2

How on earth do I answer these questions on the claim form? Until I or someone else tackles a repair, in a way I haven't worked out yet, how do I know if its even repairable? It could be a long slog where I actually end up having to fabricate, or have fabricated, a whole new chassis.

5. Is it possible to repair the item?

Yes

No

6. If the item is repairable, what is the cost of repair?

Proof may be required. If not repairable please put "NA"

How on earth do I answer these questions on the claim form? Until I or someone else tackles a repair, in a way I haven't worked out yet, how do I know if its even repairable? It could be a long slog where I actually end up having to fabricate, or have fabricated, a whole new chassis.

5. Is it possible to repair the item?

Yes

No

6. If the item is repairable, what is the cost of repair?

Proof may be required. If not repairable please put "NA"

if you need it repairing,can you get it plastic welded,i use to get my motor bike panels repaired,they can do a few diferent plastics,

Maybe, but I looked this up last night after Nitroholic suggested the same and I'm not sure this is the correct type of plastic or if it would actually take the stress, based on the load the chassis will see, just at that very point, when running.

because its a custom item i would tick no put N/A and then claim for the full value of the item/insurance

Is that slightly disingenuous as I don't know if its possible?

Hi its not really somthing that can be repaired,more a replacement if the chassis is a part you can get,a repair is more likely a last resort on that.

Goldman

Good point, so actually the answer is no its not repairable.

I have noticed no one has mentioned this, how did you sign for this package?

I ask because I used to work for a shipping company whilst at Uni and if the package was signed for before checking, any damage found would be at the fault of the person who signed for it and no claims could be made, the way to get around this was to sign "unchecked" which stated you are accepting the package in a unchecked condition meaning if you find any breakages you are not at fault.

I am aware that this may not be the case with all carriers but that may be something to bear in mind, hope you get this sorted out. It will be interesting to see this running :)

Edited by Feedtheinferno

@inferno...

when buying from a business seller signing as unchecked makes NO DIFFERENCE at all......

Sale of Goods act states you have a "reasonable time" to inspect the goods.

You do not have to inspect them when the courier is on the doorstep and what you sign on the paperwork makes no difference to your rights.

above is irrelevant as well in this case..... If there is no apparent damage to the packaging - I can't see the courier accepting any responsibility. Go through the procedure and provide as much evidence that will support your claim, but I think I know which way this is likely to go. (sorry).

It's perfectly fair to put 'no' in the 'is it repairable' section.

If you can get a quote for a replacement chassis, then put the value in. Claim for the maximum possible...then it is down to the courier to negotiate it down. Offer a cheap option and they may take it...only for you to find out that the

• 2 weeks later...

So, just to finish the story off on this one. On careful inspection I saw remnants of old glue (yellowed in appearance so old) which I then couldn't honestly attribute the damage to the courier, so I didn't!

I contacted the seller and despite some initial resistance, he agreed to take the kart back and issue a refund. I got the cheque refund on Saturday and I'm now down just for the carriage both ways, so about

Edited by Carpmart
  • Like 3