• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas Slash 4x4 vs ultimate edition

Mo.

So is it better just to get this;

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-slash-4x4-tqi/rc-car-products/367967

opposed to the ultimate?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-slash-4x4-ultimate-tqi-premium/rc-car-products/367969

They're otherwise essentially the same thing, motor and electrics wise with the same top speeds, right?

I hear what you're saying buddy. But it's not a truck I want to get to do mods to, I've got others for that, I want this one to play in wet weather conditions etc. Your upgrades sound like most of what comes with the ultimate, no?

No, the ultimate just has a few ally bits. You'll still need rpm wishbones and better rear CVDs if you want a really tough truck. I've never owned the Losi, but heard great things about it.

As for wet running, the hardware will rust. It's fun splashing about, but requires a lot of aftercare.

My upgrades took a total of 20 minutes to do so and you don't have to do the mods, you can run stock battery or 2s 5000mAh happily and do nothing on the standard 4x4 (non ultimate)! Docking base is the only thing you get on ultimate from my list, the other aluminium bits the ultimate has you don't really need. The only other addition I am contemplating to help is a shroud - did think about the proline undertray but reviews weren't great where as the shroud seemed to cover it all.

My upgrades took a total of 20 minutes to do so and you don't have to do the mods, you can run stock battery or 2s 5000mAh happily and do nothing on the standard 4x4 (non ultimate)! Docking base is the only thing you get on ultimate from my list, the other aluminium bits the ultimate has you don't really need. The only other addition I am contemplating to help is a shroud - did think about the proline undertray but reviews weren't great where as the shroud seemed to cover it all.

I don't agree here, my ally parts have been superb. My mate bought a stock version and kept breaking carriers and knuckles. Now he's fitted the ally parts and the weaknesses have gone away.

• Like 2

I don't agree here, my ally parts have been superb. My mate bought a stock version and kept breaking carriers and knuckles. Now he's fitted the ally parts and the weaknesses have gone away.

OK, but it depends on the driver and conditions atleast, my stock one has no aluminium parts except the bearing adapter but I have only been driving it hard (mainly bashing) for around a month. Whilst aluminium upgrades will be superb fro strength, that additional cost may not be necessary from the start and upgrades can be done if and when needed (if being the point). Runs perfectly well on stock is what I was saying, upgrades etc will depend on how driven and personal preference, that's all.

OK, but it depends on the driver and conditions atleast, my stock one has no aluminium parts except the bearing adapter but I have only been driving it hard (mainly bashing) for around a month. Whilst aluminium upgrades will be superb fro strength, that additional cost may not be necessary from the start and upgrades can be done if and when needed (if being the point). Runs perfectly well on stock is what I was saying, upgrades etc will depend on how driven and personal preference, that's all.

That's all fair comment. Side impacts do the most damage, the ally bits, when combined with rpm wishbones, stop all that.

My new rpm front should arrive today - much needed after a lot of high jumps, many of which are landing on the front bumper! Its the one RPM part that some people have thought is a downgrade - will see this weekend!!

ally hubs + rpm wishbones = bulletproof i smashed mine on 3s, 18t pinion full whack into a lamp post and it hit it dead center of the tyre pinged off it so hard it did a 360 and all that broke was a steering turnbuckle

• 2 weeks later...

Ok! So I've got my slash ultimate! Had quite a bit if fun with it at the local bmx track.

But I want to get some new tyre wheel combo for it. Anyone have any suggestions? Preferably I'd like a premounted set, can be asked with gluing them unless its something really good. I want to go for something that is a little bigger that will give me some more ground clearance. So what are your suggestions?

Something like these I was thinking;

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/pro-line-dirt-hawg-2.8-mounted-on-desperado-black-jato-rear-electric-stampede-rustler-front-or-stampede-4x4-f-r-/rc-car-products/366408

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ansmann-racing-1-8-truggy-tyre-rim-set-dish-terra-white/rc-car-products/37965

Broke an a arm, accidentally drove it in a bench, so bought rpm replacements.

Thanks guys.

Mo

Edited by Mo.