• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Do nitro touring shells need cooling holes

Andyw

As the above says, does it matter if they are fully closed or would this cause over heating?

Here is the pic, should a hole be cut above where the engine would be, or maybe all the windows to aid cooling? Sorry for the bad IPAD pic!!

car_body.jpg

Edited by Andyw

drilled holes in the front and rear window would do it. or if you want a clean look then rmoving the front and rear windows would work even better. i would think it is needed to give air flow for cooling but i couldnt tell you for sure

• Like 1

Generally I find a 1 inch or so hole cut in the windscreen (hole saw works a treat) does the job nicely, on a touring car you also might want to cut hole in the rear window, about 25% bigger than the intake as the body is close to the ground.

• Like 1

Depends how your engine is tuned i have had it where the engine is so badly tuned the shell going on will cut it out, if you keep your filter as clean as possible and dont run it all day with no rest you can get away with not cutting any holes in it if you have it a little rich some people cut the windows out and replace it with mesh which looks cool and aids the engine cooling

So if I was to cut the front and rear screens out then that should be ok?

Depends how your engine is tuned i have had it where the engine is so badly tuned the shell going on will cut it out, if you keep your filter as clean as possible and dont run it all day with no rest you can get away with not cutting any holes in it if you have it a little rich some people cut the windows out and replace it with mesh which looks cool and aids the engine cooling

I was thinking of this, it would need to be big enough for me to reach the pull start. I'll wait for when the engine is back together again and fitted.

You'd need a hole above the engine to attach the glow starter to your glow plug. Unless its remote start or you got an on board battery rigged up to it or summing.

I was thinking of this, it would need to be big enough for me to reach the pull start. I'll wait for when the engine is back together again and fitted.

Haha, that too, I was thinking you must have a starter box or something.

Not much shell left then really huh? - you'll have a sweet set of wheel arches tho!

Edited by Rich8

So if I was to cut the front and rear screens out then that should be ok?

yeah that would be ok you may get away with not cutting anything out just depends if you dont mind taking the shell on and off again when you start it tune it etc

Starter box? Not that advanced, spent all my cash fixing up a car that I bought on eBay!

Also what do people use for keeping body clips together, I can see that I lose mine really quickly.

Sod that, they would really annoy me. I would rather vent it now.

yeah that would be ok you may get away with not cutting anything out just depends if you dont mind taking the shell on and off again when you start it tune it etc

if you cut all your front and rear windows out then you are taking alot of strength out of the shell,when i was racing nitro saloons many years back i had a 50mm hole in the front screen in line with the engine and 2 holes in the rear window to let the air out ,the car was very low to the ground so you need to get the air flowing thru the car to keep it cool,we used to do 40 minute finals and never siezed an engine due to overheating.

• Like 1

you can get locking body clips like these

brp5290.jpg

They dont come out some people tie them together with string cotton etc so you need 2 to fall out before you loose them etc or could use zip ties