• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Possible project... advice needed :)

RooBoonix

Hey guys,

I really like the look of some of these drift cars, and I wouldn't mind getting one myself.

But as I don't have the money just to buy one I wouldn't mind a project where I can just buy some parts as and when I can, plus I would like the car to be able to just have normal road wheels put onto it and be run like an onroad too (obviously some minor changes will have to be made but you know what I mean)

I don't want an awesome "perfect" drifter, but I just want something that drifts ok/well but is fast if I put some road wheels on?

Plus, it has to be cheap! So I would like some recommendations on what car to base it on? Are there certain rollers that are cheap that would be ok? I have no idea :)

Thanks in advance,

Cam

Hi mate I know you said you want a project but I have a full set up for sale, its the ads section. One car completely ready to drift one tourer which requires very minor work both these are TT01 and also an HPI E10 which is a project.

Hi Roo,

Been thinking the same sort of thing myself. Have a word with Bez, he has a TS4E chassis ready for sale, with loads of spares, and it won't to expensive.

From what I can see with drifters, the main difference between a drifter and a "normal" road car are:

1) Diffs are usually locked to help promote wheelspin. Achievable with blutac, etc, and unpicking the gunk when required or swapping Diffs. I think Bez's roller has spare diffs. If I wasn't concentrating on my Hypers and Lunchbox II project, I'd have bought it off him, because I am thinking drifter for next project.

2) Wheels are normally changed for sets with low grip tyres - have a look at http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-accessories/for-cars.html. It may be worth buying and mounting the shell first, because a lot of shells need wheels with an offset to fill the arches nicely. There's plenty of choice of drift/grippy tyres out there, seeing as most 1/10 have 12mm hex iirc, getting the wheels and tyres to swap around is not going to be a problem.

3) Suspension is set to bias the car's handling towards putting the back end out - ie harder rear suspension, softer front suspension. This means you will in the long term need either adjustable shocks ftw, or at the very least multiple spring sets so you can swap over and be tuned for whatever you want to do at the time, either drift or standard road. Again, that roller that Bez is selling has a choice of shock and spring sets with it.

The other thing to remember with drifters is... they drift. They drift into things as well, unfortunately! You may wish to consider making sure that whatever chassis you go to, it's either been upgraded with ally turnbuckles, etc - or that they can be purchased as time and pocket money allow. Bez should put me on commission, because I'm gonna mention that chassis again - it's got all the ally bits already done on it.

The last thing that seems to be a "must" for the drifters is the look of the shell. Take your time with this, there's a lot of emphasis on realism. R2 hobbies sell cheap shells as well - but look carefully at the descriptions, as some of them do NOT come with stickers for headlights, etc. There are some bargains to be had, and with a little forethought there are ways of making your own sticker sets - plenty of companies sell the self-adhesive photo paper and lacquer to waterproof the finished results. Just a little time, patience and practice with a good craft knife and bingo - a tidy shell.

Hope this helps, dude.

• Like 1