• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything Savage XS

.AJ.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received delivery of a rolling chassis today, I am hoping to get going with a spare vapour pro and motor from a WR8. I have a lot of reading in this thread to do but are is there anything I should check first or upgrade before running?  

Great thanks I will look it up.

Should these trucks do standing back flips on 2s batteries on stock tyres or do you need higher grip tyres? I can't seem to get mine to do it, I have only tried it on a paving slabbed patio maybe it needs to be tarmac?

I had ground assaults on mine

ste001_zpsbc5e570d.png

Sent from my Fingers using the Tinternet

Mine needed proper tyres before it would do that consistently, have seen vids of 2s backflips on stockers but suspect they've got the slipper done up tight as lots of people resort to that to stop it backing off

I had ground assaults on mine

ste001_zpsbc5e570d.png

Sent from my Fingers using the Tinternet

Thanks for the replies, I think I will need to look at getting some tires at some point. Not for a while though as I snapped the front to center driveshaft last night. I figured this was probabally down to the excessive wear on the cup joints, so i have ordered the HD replacments for both ends of the center shafts, the cups on the diffs and the hubs seemed ok so I havent ordered HD versions of them.

I also have a 3s battery that I am tempted to try in this truck, do you need to change gearing to run a 3s?

I use premount SCT sets on mine, softer and grippier than stock but not hugely wide with the hope it takes some of the strain off the drivetrain. Right diameter for stock gearing too :)

Speaking of which, yes, you need to change the gearing for 3S. And be prepared to break stuff :D

well, here's all I've bought so far but not everything has arrived

savage%20xs_zpssfx81jao.jpg

Those wheels are very heavy and may cause your truck to overheat, the tires come with foams so the inserts are not really needed and be careful you got the buggy 2.2 as the 1/10 version I believe is 2.8 and won't fit same with the mashers get 2.2 not 2.8 or it will add to your gearing and overheat the motor plus they won't fit on the rims you got

The fan might not fit unless you give it or the truck a trim as there is very little room

The cups are a great choice and work very well but personally I never had any luck with the hot racing bits as I found them a bit brittle sorry

Be interesting to see how you get on with all these bits when they arrive so keep us posted

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. After seeing it on a savage though I think I'm not so keen on it. The arches don't look quite right to me.

Maybe the Camaro shell instead then.

Lately my XS has been running far from great. I have a huge amount of cogging when trying to set off and my motor gets smoking hot. I have tried different batteries with same result.

I think i need a new ESC. First the caps blew on this one (HW SC8 WP) and now this.

But I really can't decide if i should get a new SC8 combo or a Castle SV3 SCT combo. I'm leaning towards the Castle as I have had a lot of trouble with my current HW (Oh I forgot - The LVC is completely useless on this one).

Anyone here running the SV3 SCT combo in their XS?

The prices are about the same as Modelsport is the only option for me to buy the SC8 (If ordered from HK the import taxes in Denmark is ridiculous and none of the UK based sellers will ship to Denmark).

Lastly - Is the center CVD's worth the price? 

The cogging and the motor running hot sounds like the problem, not the ESC. The ESC is likely just dying as because the motor is pulling too much current as a result.

If I was you, I would pull the motor and check the that the truck rolls OK without binding. If it doesn't then something in the drivetrain needs attention, if it all seems smooth then it may be worth cracking the motor open to check its OK too.

On the CVDs, I've never run them as others seem to have problems with them so I've always stuck with the stock driveshafts and treated them as consumable :)

The cogging and the motor running hot sounds like the problem, not the ESC. The ESC is likely just dying as because the motor is pulling too much current as a result.

If I was you, I would pull the motor and check the that the truck rolls OK without binding. If it doesn't then something in the drivetrain needs attention, if it all seems smooth then it may be worth cracking the motor open to check its OK too.

On the CVDs, I've never run them as others seem to have problems with them so I've always stuck with the stock driveshafts and treated them as consumable :)

I forgot to mention that I've tried another motor this evening (same model as my own, running perfectly with another SC8 ESC in my colleagues XS) - Same result. So it dosen't seem related to the motor. I've checked all the wires etc. and everything looks fine.

But the ESC caps are completely shot. I might try to add a cap bank on the battery wires to see if that helps. But I'm afraid that it doesent :(

you should take the motor out and check the entire transmision, there must be something that is too tight or jammed, that's why the motor can't move so freely and therefore the motor drains a lot more amps from the ESC.

once I locked the wheels from turning and started to accelerate and the motor tried to spin but couldn't, I did that like 4 times and after that the solder melt because there was too much current flowing through there

you should take the motor out and check the entire transmision, there must be something that is too tight or jammed, that's why the motor can't move so freely and therefore the motor drains a lot more amps from the ESC.

once I locked the wheels from turning and started to accelerate and the motor tried to spin but couldn't, I did that like 4 times and after that the solder melt because there was too much current flowing through there

No problems with the transmission as another ESC works fine in the car :(

Will give the ESC one last chance tomorrow by adding a cap bank og 6x470uF low ESR polymer caps. If that doesent help I trash it.

But.... What to get AS replacement?