• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything Savage XS

.AJ.

They're much nicer with proper oil in, weight depends on taste, think I last used 10/3 but may have been 30/10 front to back.

Always forget diff oil weights and manage too lose the scraps of paper I note it down on.

That's why I use losi for shock oil, comes colour coded so I can work it out later! :)

• 2 weeks later...

What are the best CVD's? I snapped a rear today (believe it was a GPM)

Also, what oil do you all run in the diffs? I may aswell chenge it while it's stripped.

What wheels/tyres are people running on these? Premounted preferred without having to change gearing too ?

Big joe II here. I also have the gladiators but they suck on grass tbh.

On the CVDs, I stick with the stock dogbones :)

They're a consumable with the HD output cups as the drive pins wear down.

If you do the mods on the front (traxxas turnbuckles, set end points, sort the toe to a sensible angle) then it pretty much stops spitting them out too.

For premounts, usually use SCT ones. Right height and reckon they take a bit of the strain off the drivetrain.

Current ones are trencher copies with natty red beadlock rings. Fancy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Smaller than 1/10, but running 1/10 gear. And they're mental fast, handle ok really. No much ground clearance as you'd expect so not so good on long grass but otherwise great fun. Best of all is they're very portable, stick in a backpack, no lugging a heavy truck over a field to bash. Both my lads have these, one of them has lost interest but the other still gives my custom Savage some competition.

Edited by fornowagain

To give you an idea of size, the wheels and tyres are 1/10 stadium truck but the wheelbase (and overall length) is a couple of inches shorter which gives it it's monster truck proportions.

Be warned it's a hefty little thing though, mine weighs about a pound more than the rustler so it's not something I'd happily carry about in the same way as I do my other minis.

Handling wise, suspension tune is ok (pretty good actually) but initial thoughts will be that it's fairly rubbish. Blame the completely useless RTR servo and lack of grip from the stock tyres.

Hello, I bought a brand new savage xs rtr with the new style radio.

I've bought these things and I'm waiting to get them because I'm from Chile and I ordered allmost all from China and USA.

-Ansmann heatsink dual fan v3
-Hot Racing up rights
-Hot Racing servo saver
-Hot Racing 60T spur gear and 24T pinion
-Fast Eddy sealed bearing kit
-HW WP-SC8 ESC
-HPI Sway bar
-Turnigy nanotech 3S 5000mah (the one for the traxxas slash)
-Pro-Line Titus beadlock wheels with Mashers 2000 and closed cell foam
-BMS-616DMG+HS Digital Buggy Servo

as soon as I get the parts I'll upload pictures.

Also I need a HD drive cups, Hot racing motor mount and integy trans cover assy. (maybe a castle 1410 motor too :D)

Traxxas turnbuckles because the stock ones pop off

Some decent rod ends for the shocks because the stock ones break

Worth reading through this thread, there's some good advice in it :)

yeah I read the entire thread, that's why I bought most of the parts, is there a cnc o hop up version of the traxxas turnbuckles? as for the shocks, will get pro-line power stroke shocks

Never had much luck with alloy turnbuckles, they just snap while the Traxxas ones are cheap and strong.

Stock shocks have been fine for me too once they were fitted with decent ends

In truth it doesn't really need a huge amount of hopups, its just high maintenance because it eats itself. Cost of all that power in a small package :D

That said, I stick with 2s. 3s brings problems and being small its almost uncontrollable on 3s anyway. But it depends what you're after, I like being able to hit ramps square! :)