• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything Savage XS

.AJ.

Finally manage to get some cash together from selling a few bits so I've got one step closer to having my xs up and running by buying and installing my new servo. Went for the Savox SW0231MG waterproof high torque which prob is a bit overkill for the xs but as it's 15kg it could be used in larger cars later on. It was a squeeze as the servo witenagemot come out the side not the borrow and have a rubber bit at the base which hit the cover so I had so squish it in there but all snug now and I have steering!!

• Like 1

finally here are the build photos from this week , just been really busy so havent had chance to put them up 

i started to get parts through the post on Tuesday which i meant to get months ago but i eventually got round to it 

• New shell & paint 
  • Slipper pads 
  • New Screws 
  • 7000k Diff oil 
  • rear diff plate 
  • traxxas rod ends 
  • The connectors are for my charger 
  • Tyre Glue 
  • Body clips ( always losing them :yes: )
  • Diff grease 
  • Gear box set (for the little tiny black spacer ) 
  • HD Gear box cups  :hahadance:
  • HD Diff cups 
  • Proline gladiators 

gallery_17801_2086_84524.jpg

gallery_17801_2086_53507.jpggallery_17801_2086_2765.jpg

So with all these parts i got to work 

I firstly took apart the re oiled the bearings and oiled the gears , re assembled and added new hd cups  :whistling:

gallery_17801_2086_100918.jpg

I them attempted to glue tyres and rims for the very first time , they came out well i think as i watched jang rc's video on youtube as a guide.

I bought some ca tyre glue and got to work.

gallery_17801_2086_19187.jpggallery_17801_2086_95177.jpg

around half an hour later and nearly gluing my fingers together once they dried 

walla only with one little defect ( i took them for a test tonight and they didnt budge so a good job from me  :whistling: )

gallery_17801_2086_90523.jpg

Stripped the front and rear diffs down and cleaned out all the old grease that smelt really weird :yucky: , anyway cleaned the diff cases and stripped the actual diffs down to clean and fill with new diff oil. 

gallery_17801_2086_119088.jpggallery_17801_2086_77626.jpggallery_17801_2086_13393.jpg

Ow i treated myself to a 12 in 1 hex driver set to replace the numerous allen keys i have been through i thought i would get something proper 

gallery_17801_2086_55189.jpg

Anyway back to the re build  :whistling:

I re assembled and smothered the diff case & diff in mob grease , ow and new HD cups as well  :yes:

gallery_17801_2086_12112.jpg

Attached the rear end whilst putting new black shock socks on  :nasty: , there was some play in the centre shaft so i cut up some fuel tubing and put abit in each end.

its nice and snug now so i will see how holds up.

gallery_17801_2086_97445.jpg

Same with the front end so no need to  :spam: with more pics but basically the same as the rear end. re attached it and whacked on the new wheel/tyre combo which looks sweet i reckon  :naughty:

gallery_17801_2086_130735.jpg

Before anyone says the front and back are different , yes i know the rear are old as i got off a friend but are hardly worn so i got another set to complete the truck.

I didnt take anymore photos but i re stuck down the esc and routed the wires to the rx box put on the shell and took it for a spin down the local car park. first blip of the throttle and it was pulling wheelies all over the place as the tyres are really gripped as it was grip rolling left right and centre.

The slipper clutch needs tightening up abit as it was slipping and i need to get hold of some traxxas turn-buckles as the stock tracking is pants but for now it will do.

i have really missed the speed of the xs and am glad to have it back up and running, all i need now is to give it a proper bash to see how these hd parts hold up.

Going to painting the new shell in the next few days and will be re gluing the old tyres so i can use them when i need to chuck it over some huge jumps or what ever  :clapping:

the truck is how i want it for the time being , will be getting the turn buckles when they come back into stock but apart from that its right where i want it for now 

until next time 

thanks for reading  :back2topic:

• Like 2

Your XS is looking awesome Leo :thumbsup:

It makes me want to get my one running but I'm afraid it looks like I might have to sell mine due to 1:1 car problems :confused:

cheers mate i meant to fix mine months ago but just have been really busy , im glad i finally got round to it though. my wallet feels abit lighter for it though  :sly:

just keep it as long as you can as you will regret selling it afterwards 

well i took it for a spin yesterday  :xd: awesome is all i can say  :hahadance: , i was about 15 mins in when i lost drive to the rear wheels so i went to inspect it and i found that the screw shaft that is on the slipper assembly came out the cup joint. 

This was the offending screw 

gallery_17801_2086_116427.jpg

Gutted was not the word as i knew i would have to order it off ebay which wouldn't be here until next week ,so i thought to be able to get it out again today then i would find a thin enough bolt and just secure it that way for the time being.

stripped it down this morning and found the screw shaft that had come out was lodged between the motor and the chassis luckily  :omgblinky: , basically i had forgotten to thread lock it in like a numpty  :tomato:

Out came the blue locktite and hopefully it shouldn't remove itself again any time soon  :thumbsup: i did find though that the hex head was abit worn so i couldn't tighten it as i wanted if fear of stripping it out, i will be buying a pack of shaft screws and replacing them when they arrive so i can do them up nice and tight 

how can i speed up the process of the locktite drying as i want to take it for another run at some point today ?

Edited by leongordon234

yep they are the ones, you'll never eliminate 100 % of the play tbh, you'll notice the difference straight away when you drive it fast because it will go where you point it now rather than off on a jolly by itself.. As far as the body rub goes I can't comment yet there's no rub on the chassis and the battery tray opens fine too..

here you go rctech132, i asked exactly what you said and this is the reply i got from a wise man

just took mine out for a bash....lost one of those pins that holds the front hub together but the screw was still there.

for some reason the speed controller keeps cutting out and then starting itself again! anyone got any suggetions?

Wheelspin do them for about the same as the MS price.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/17930/

Ta buddy, just bought these, I needed to as he killed my daughters ecx today so I got a new spur for her & these for him, is there any modding they need or are they simply better than hpi's turnbuckles?

Took out 2 trucks again today, only the little Savage kept on trucking :)

So far the Trophy Truggy has killed a servo, pinion grub came out, snapped inner rear hinge pin. The MT4 servo saver bound tight and locked steering, killed a servo, snapped lower hinge pin.

Savage XS - flipped, bounced, cartwheeled 20 feet, crashed into a post, jumped, and launched into a lake - still running. Put four packs through it today one after the other, flat out probably 80% of the time, and the motor was barely warm!

Also finally got the hang of flipping it back on its wheels when it lands boots up, chuffed is me.

• Like 2

Took out 2 trucks again today, only the little Savage kept on trucking :)

So far the Trophy Truggy has killed a servo, pinion grub came out, snapped inner rear hinge pin. The MT4 servo saver bound tight and locked steering, killed a servo, snapped lower hinge pin.

Savage XS - flipped, bounced, cartwheeled 20 feet, crashed into a post, jumped, and launched into a lake - still running. Put four packs through it today one after the other, flat out probably 80% of the time, and the motor was barely warm!

Also finally got the hang of flipping it back on its wheels when it lands boots up, chuffed is me.

are you running your xs on 2s or 3s?

ive just tried mine on 3s and its far too much for me but it did make me smile mor than it normally does lol

backflips require no effort on 3s :thumbsup:

A few days ago I ordered my sc8 motor combo from rcecho so that should arrive withing the next month hopefully! Also ordered some parts from modelsport: traxxas turnbuckles to replace from ones which keep popping off, and some more hexes with pins to replace the broken ones. Can't wait for my combo to get here hopefully it stays dry now!

I still can't decide what motor to put it mine. I've already got a HW SCT Pro esc, I'd like to run a sensored combo so thinking about a 10.5t or 8.5t motor. I'm also going to sticking with 2S, like I've said before, that's more than enough power is these trucks and helps the drivetrain last that bit longer.

Well as you saw from the other day i lost rear heel drive as i forgot to thread lock the screw pin that keeps the center cup in place so i dunked it in the blue stuff and let it set for a few hours  :thumbsup:

gallery_17801_2086_92963.jpggallery_17801_2086_26978.jpg

Whilst that was drying i got to work on my new shell  :hahadance: , a few hours later and walla.

I thought i would try something different with the back of the shell and i think it looks pretty cool as if i wanted some cool on board footage i thought i could video the back as one of the scenes  

I had taken it for a bash before i took these photos hence the roof scratches as on 3 is it flipped itself onto its back haha  :yes:

Enjoy the pics  :whistling:

gallery_17801_2086_98965.jpggallery_17801_2086_58047.jpggallery_17801_2086_72838.jpggallery_17801_2086_72838.jpggallery_17801_2086_40343.jpggallery_17801_2086_167.jpggallery_17801_2086_165123.jpggallery_17801_2086_113425.jpggallery_17801_2086_15617.jpg

Thumbs up from me on the shell too, I like how you've left the rear bed clear :thumbsup:

They are Proline Gladiator 2 tyres, awesome tyres, I had them on my old XS SS but quite heavy compared to the likes of HPI Ground Assaults or HB Powerpins.