• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

titan 12t motor failure

duncslow

Hi all, after much thought I have bought a traxxas rustler for my lad, only had it 2 weeks,ran 8 sets of batteries over 4 days, last week the motor failed which was replaced free of charge from mighty models in Sheffield. the new motor has only lasted for 3 sets of batteries at a steady pace to run it in. On both motors it looks like the brushes have fallen out/apart. Am I doing something wrong or is there a design fault with the titan 12t.

Regards Chris.

You're not doing anything wrong. It's just how they are. In my opinion the worst motor ever sold in an RC car.

Grab one of these kits:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbywing-EZrun-Brushless-60A-SL-ESC-Ver2-8-5T-Motor-/130536757922?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6498daa2

You'll get more power and it'll last for ages. Dinball on ebay are RCmart:

http://www.rcmart.com/

Great service and prices. Expect anything from a one to three week wait for the parcel though, shipping from Hong Kong is pretty hard to judge.

Thanks for the replies, im going back to the model shop to see what they can do, really annoying as my lad is gutted cause he thinks its his fault. Cant really afford to go brushless, just spent 200quid on the car and batteries. so im going to stay brushed at the mo. Not racing with it its just for fun so I really need a reasonable quality replacement.

regards Chris

Thanks for the offer CurtisRider, Im going to see whats said at the shop and if I come back with another titan then I will buy yours as a spare mate. will let you know at the weekend.

Thanks,

Chris

The Titan motor is a 550 size. This means it has more winding in it, making it the same as a 14T 540 size motor. It's also very mild and slow. So that motor on the stock ESC might be pushing it.

woops my bad, i thought these were 540 size :blush:

Dont see why, had the tl01b for 10 years, only got through 1 motor and a pair of front uprights. Its totally worn out though now, hence the upgrade to a traxxas. figured it would last longer than 2 weeks but unfortunateluy this is not the case.

regards Chris

One part worn out in 10 years?! lol. It must have been running slicks for 9 of them!. Only Joking... :thumbsup:

Okay I get it. Not a very helpful reply from me initially... :whistling: I've got 2 Traxxas RTRs, so here goes.

The problem you have is that motor is regarded as junk. Good while it's working, but it doesn't last long. They are high maintenance motors that will need cleaning and lubing after each run (at least that is what I would do).

You can either keep sending it back under warranty, waiting weeks every time and upsetting your son, or you could upgrade. I'm a firm believer that if something breaks, upgrade it so it doesn't break again. Try the Ezrun 35A 9 turn combo and you shouldn't have to replace that for a long time. Unfortunately though the combos are running at

Edited by KingJulian

• 1 year later...

Right, thats another 12t titan motor fallen to bits, it has lasted since I last posted, just over 12months of abuse. Now Im after a cheap brushless set up. not for racing just for fun. I have seen a few on ebay and am completely lost as I dont understand the technicalities. can anyone recommend a set up for me that isnt going to break the bank. 

regards Chris

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-Trackstar-1-10th-Waterproof-Brushless-System-80a-ESC-540-2pole-5200kv-/141031593981?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&var=&hash=item20d62357fd

I use this combo in my rustler :). Its under 60 quid and waterproof and on 3s and 86/21 gearing it is insanely quick.I run the setup on stock gearing and use 4500 nihms for when the boys run it,still plenty of power,but you really need to run 2s,to get the best out of it.:)

Oops Wrong setup.I meant to post ther 3000kv set that i run :whistling:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-Trackstar-1-10th-Waterproof-Brushless-System-80a-ESC-540-2pole-3000kv-/130963171285?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&var=&hash=item6428a50973

I use the lower kv motor as it has loads of torque,and doesnt heat up so much when using high power lipos.You can safely run an 86/23 setup on this combo with 2s and nihms and drop to a 19 pinion for 3s (50mph+) :thumbsup:.