• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Worth going alloy?

hbro789

Do you think its worth spending the money on alloy parts?

My car (1/5 baja) is all plastic and I want to get some alloy on it to make it a stronger car.

My engine mounts need replacing so I will be buying alloy ones of them as I think that is a must have upgrade.

Are there any other must have alloy upgrades? I know some people will just say fix whats broken but I hate going out, something breaks then can't use it for a good 2 days.

Rear top arm on the gear side, saves it pushing into your gears.

http://www.mtroniks....id/13/H1503.htm

Diff case if it isn't already

http://www.mtroniks....id/13/H1514.htm

Oh and these if you are still running stock rear hubs

http://www.freeprawnracing.co.uk/ftx-7555-rear-hubs-2-ftx7555.html

That's about it.

Edited by toys4x4boys

The front end was something I'm going to leave plastic, incase I crash I would rather snap plastic than bend the car

I'd recommend the alley hubs bud, I found that the upper and lower arm are suspectable to strip clean there threads, assuming we're talking FG's here?

I'd recommend the alley hubs bud, I found that the upper and lower arm are suspectable to strip clean there threads, assuming we're talking FG's here?

They are indeed It was the first thing to go on my marder, I have got some alloy hubs as well if you after some.

Dont forget ally = weight so you will need extra power from the engine to achieve the same performance and better brakes to stop it!!!!

I have kept mine fairly standard to keep the weight to a minimum but upgraded the brakes, added a tuned pipe and a few other minor mods. My 4wd bug also has a 26.9cc DDM ported head kit and it flies!! The FG plastics are among the best out there and can take some abuse, yes they break or wear out now & again but are cheap to replace and I reckon if you are crashing with enough force to break plastic parts then ally parts would also be seriously damaged.

They are indeed It was the first thing to go on my marder, I have got some alloy hubs as well if you after some.

alas I'm no longer an FG owner, however if this HPI baja doesn't come together soon as I've just about had to do everything worth doing, now including a new stage 2 head by Steve at Ross mod as mine was shot, I may jump back in bed with FG's, their simplicity suits me just fine. hey watch the sale section as I may put it in there for sale/swap for some FG onroad.off road goodness

alas I'm no longer an FG owner, however if this HPI baja doesn't come together soon as I've just about had to do everything worth doing, now including a new stage 2 head by Steve at Ross mod as mine was shot, I may jump back in bed with FG's, their simplicity suits me just fine. hey watch the sale section as I may put it in there for sale/swap for some FG onroad.off road goodness

I'm doing the opposite of you and leaving fg lol

It's a tough call to make, I used to race a marder then leopard race. From the tank back it was all alloy (except the steel rose joints) and the front was all plastic (except the hubs and servo saver) I very rarely broke anything and just replaced bits that wore out. I used a 26cc oddified tuned engine and a samba pipe. The whole package suited what I was doing with it - Racing. Dwarfy has a lot of valid points for keeping it plastic and experience with bashing so like I say it's a tough call.

If you are going the alloy route make sure you get genuine FG alloy rather than the cheap cr4p because if you do that you may as well stick with plastic.

It's a tough call to make, I used to race a marder then leopard race. From the tank back it was all alloy (except the steel rose joints) and the front was all plastic (except the hubs and servo saver) I very rarely broke anything and just replaced bits that wore out. I used a 26cc oddified tuned engine and a samba pipe. The whole package suited what I was doing with it - Racing. Dwarfy has a lot of valid points for keeping it plastic and experience with bashing so like I say it's a tough call.

If you are going the alloy route make sure you get genuine FG alloy rather than the cheap cr4p because if you do that you may as well stick with plastic.

true enough, from my marder days i found the plastics to be pretty tough, tougher than say the hpi baja stock equiv, my marder had alloy front hubs, engine mounts large and small and a alloy gear carrier, for me it was enough as it was as tough as old boots, if anything did break it was usually my fault and cheap to replace as their is a mountain of stock FG parts on ebay

also i took alot of ally off my fg marder...well its a baja now ....only thing ally on the fr now r the bulk heads....and hubs if i can get a pair....got plastic atm but they aint gonna last long i reckon.. :009: ...on rear got the engine mounts,diff holder,hubs and upper/lower arms and shok tower all in gen fg ally......but i do have the shok tower,diff mounts in plastic but doubt i`ll use em....last few outtings i`ve not been so worried about bending it up and been doin a few more jumps with it.....

Edited by evssv

r they gen fg ones?as i had a pair of them cheapy ones off e bay and one of em jus bent up after a massive roll over... :doh: .....and i dont mean the lotto kind either..... :lol: ..

Haha they are indeed cheapy ones :lol: I never ran with them for more than a day. They even look like cheese!