• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cheaper bodyshells (anyone interested?

Oh How Original

Yes if people want updates and save this thread to your bookmarks to check back on progress etc... If the wood isn't too expensive I should have a machine up and working by tomorrow night :) thankfully I have easy going parents who don't really care if I use their hoover either :lol:

And yeah I don't have any plastic really, only thing I have is a 4x4ft sheet of 3mm thick perspex... Not really a "scrap laying around" sadly :lol:

2mm Lexan is WAY too thick for a shell, it will just tear... The max I would go for is 1mm.

The jconcepts 'tough' shells are .89mm so of you go for a 1mm shell you'll still be above what is considered standard.

This sounds like a Good idea. Just make sure you start from scratch. Stealing interlectual property is not cool... A unique body Is much better than a clone any way :)

Haha alright dude, as long as you have the transformer up and running, getting the plastic/lexan isn't an issue

I suppose you could use a tesco bag no? ;)

Edit: as a tester that is, to see if it works, lol dont want my body shell to be made out of a tesco bag :D

Edited by NABSTAR14

That is actually a good idea... I have also been thinking of making totally custom ones, same height, length and width as a standard shell, but like hot rods for onroad cars, and like monster truck style of hypers etc... Also had an idea for a Rage style buggy etc...

And yes out of a bag or something is a very good idea!

Not sure if it would be safe to use plastic sheeting in my oven though with the fumes, if anyone has any ideas?

Not been able to find any information about it, although I have seen some other people doing it.

That's the same SC as I'm planning on buying, that or a Traxxas Slash, so I will no doubt be making stuff like that too.

Although I am thinking about making a couple of different sized "frames" also, I'm starting with a smaller one to test it so it doesn't cost me a bomb if it doesn't work.

Going for Hyper size.

Cheapest I have found those shells is

Just remember to add a little bit of money to the end price to cover you for if the hoover goes wrong or your heating system! It won't need to be much but theres no point in you putting yourself out of pocket and you will still be cheaper than everybody else!

What Bazzokajoe said about making the shells a bit more individual is a great idea, especially for the lecce shells, maybe taking the mould initially from a shell then start adding scoops that can be cut out to create nice air flows to help cool the motors and create nice cool air for the esc's! I can see you getting alot of interest if all goes well, I mean look at the interest you have already just off of here!

Edited by Dec

Sounds interesting! I was just browsing ebay for something a bit different for my hyper 7 - to no success I may add!

I will have something off you especially if you can make it a bit more unique :thumbsup:

I hope I do get a lot of interest and it works, although I think I would leave the airflow side of things to a later date, purely because different people put individual parts on different places on their chassis.

I have already had a bit of a brainwave about personalising them... A bit more personal than your choice of colour too, but keeping it under wraps for now so the idea doesn't get stolen :P

So yes they will be VERY unique I guarantee you that.

I have also priced the wood, and it's going to be even cheaper than I first budgeted for (about

I hope I do get a lot of interest and it works, although I think I would leave the airflow side of things to a later date, purely because different people put individual parts on different places on their chassis.

I have already had a bit of a brainwave about personalising them... A bit more personal than your choice of colour too, but keeping it under wraps for now so the idea doesn't get stolen :P

So yes they will be VERY unique I guarantee you that.

I have also priced the wood, and it's going to be even cheaper than I first budgeted for (about

Edited by Dec

Jigsaws are easy to use just take your time :)

I'd definitely be interested in a couple of shells mate :)

Aye my Dad said the same, sadly he's going away in the morning for a few weeks, so I either put the project on hold for a few weeks or have a go myself... I'm just going to have a go and take it easy, I know how to do it, and the lines don't have to be uber nooby straight :lol:

And sweet, the more the merrier :)

Will be doing updates on here tomorrow if I manage to cut things out and stuff, and let people know how the initial build goes.

Most large stores have a cutting service either for free, places like Travis Perkins or places like some B&Q stores which charge a very small fee, as for the Jigsaw, you should have no worries on that one, just make sure the blade correctly locked in and sharp, GOOD LUCK!!! :thumbsup:

Aye I'm getting it from Homebase who do the service for free, as basically all they have to do is cut the big board I'm buying width ways 5 times, piece of cake, it'd take me all day to get through it :lol:

• Like 1

Aye I'm getting it from Homebase who do the service for free, as basically all they have to do is cut the big board I'm buying width ways 5 times, piece of cake, it'd take me all day to get through it :lol:

RESULT!!! :thumbsup:

Dads also just said if I'm not too confident about using the jigsaw (as I don't even have a bench of anything to use) then use a normal saw, and just have to make a few holes with a drill... Might take a bit longer but think it'd be the safest option :lol:

Fair Enough!!! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Also if anyone has a Baja body handy, could they measure it for me?

Need the length and width in cm/mm please... It seems like people are charging ridiculous prices for these in particular, so I am going to price a big enough frame to hold a Baja body in one go... Might be able to start doing them at