• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

THanks Chewbacca,

Hobbyking currently out of stock though. 

guess I will have to wait....

One more question, I have just replaced the plastic wheel hubs (12mm) with metal ones.

Problem is, the metal ones are slightly thicker, meaning that I now can't tighten up the wheel nut as far I used to be able to.

THe front ones are ok, when fully tightened the thread protrudes through the nut.

But with the rear ones, the thread does not quite poke through the nut when fully tightened.

To be honest, I suspect it will be fine,

Has anybody else had this problem?

Cheers

Hi mikeald.

If you are worried about the nut falling off you can get nuts which are more low profile and flanged to hold onto the rim better (such as the xray xb4 wheel nuts) but if you are looking for abit of added saftey I'd use some threadlock on the rear wheels :)

• Like 1

I found star washers to be the cure for loose nuts. They're cheap but effective.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-X-4MM-BZP-EXTERNAL-SHAKEPROOF-SERRATED-M4-WASHER-STAR-LOCKING-WASHERS-HLW20-/360603856939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53f5aa302b

Edited by chewbacca
  • Like 1

Hi Diago, thanks for the reply.

However, I do apologise, I meant that I am after a metal 65t spur gear.....

Any ideas?

Thank you

I think the link is a few pages back, a guy (sorry cant remember his name) posted up some 74t and some 64t ones,

ahhh ok, I will take a look...

Also for those interested, I contacted CML distribution today, regarding what lube to use in diffs.  I.E grease or oil.

Here is the reply:

"

The FTX Vantage does not have a gasket to seal the geared diffs so we do not recommend oil for those.

A good grease will do fine, something like the Team Associated AS6588 black grease. "

So, black grease it is for me.....

Although as my car is new, I am assuming that the diffs are already well lubed....

Edited by mikeald

ahhh ok, I will take a look...

Also for those interested, I contacted CML distribution today, regarding what lube to use in diffs.  I.E grease or oil.

Here is the reply:

"

The FTX Vantage does not have a gasket to seal the geared diffs so we do not recommend oil for those.

A good grease will do fine, something like the Team Associated AS6588 black grease. "

So, black grease it is for me.....

Although as my car is new, I am assuming that the diffs are already well lubed....

Never assume anything.

THanks Chewy,

Worth a look inside then?

I have some of this: black grease, any good do you think?

https://www.rocol.com/products/tufgear-heavy-duty-open-gear-lubricant

Cheers

It's never a bad thing to open up the diff/s on an rtr just to make sure there's grease. Likewise, check all screws, bolts etc.

Yeah, it's thick and slippery, slap it in. 

great.  THanks for clarifying...

I just need to figure out how to strip the buggy to access the gearbox!!!!

You're welcome.

Lots of screwing required lol

THats my speciality  :thumbsup:

Although it would have been helpful if the manual gave clear instructions on the disassembly/reassembly order...

I am sure I will work it out though, and I will take pictures along the way...

I am assuming I will need to pretty much strip the entire back end?

Trouble is the manual is more a guide than an instruction book. 

Yeah, take it all apart fella, it's a ball ache at first but you'll thank yourself eventually.

Will do Chewy, probably next week now, I will report back.

I have just fitted my camera mount, for Mobius action cam...

Its not too bad....

I tried to attach a photo, but cant work out how to do it!?

Can anybody tell me please?!?!?!?!

Also, my pair of proline slingshots arrived today (for use on sand), they fit great on the rear of the vantage.  But will not fit on the front as they rub against the steering linkages.

Edited by mikeald

Will do Chewy, probably next week now, I will report back.

I have just fitted my camera mount, for Mobius action cam...

Its not too bad....

I tried to attach a photo, but cant work out how to do it!?

Can anybody tell me please?!?!?!?!

Also, my pair of proline slingshots arrived today (for use on sand), they fit great on the rear of the vantage.  But will not fit on the front as they rub against the steering linkages.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/182152-how-to-post-pics-on-the-forum/

ok, just took the vantage out on a massive sand dune, with the proline paddle tyres on the rear.

It was going great for the first 10 minutes!

THen - Stripped spur gear and tips of teeth on pinion gear all bent!!!!

I do have spares, but have not replaced them before.  Any advice welcomed....

Also, this got me thinking that it really is far too simple for this to happen.  Surely there is a way to stop it or at least reduce the possibility of this happening?

THe spare spur gear I have is plastic, but I really need a metal one from somewhere.....

In all fairness the sand was very fine in the dune.  Maybe firm but not wet sand would be kinder on the car????

Did you check/set the mesh before running it? When you replace the spur and pinion, make sure there is just a very slight gap between the two. A good tip is to put a piece of paper between them, push them together till the paper is trapped, tighten the motor screws then remove the paper. 

Fine sand is ok if there is not too much oil/grease exposed. Firm sand is ok if it's not too wet. Steer clear of sea water unless you're into a full strip down afterwards.

There are some that run ally spurs but I'm happy running plastic. 

Hi chewwy,

Nope I did not set the mesh before running.

It has been fine on grass/dirt, so I assumed meshing was ok...

I am running the spur and pinion dry - no grease or oil at all.

THanks for the tip with the paper.  I am hoping to sort this tomorrow in work (during official break times of course) :whistling:

Te sand was very fine, and was simply flicking up everywhere!  So the gears really did not stand a chance.

I am planning on using this buggy a lot on firm sand that is not wet. 

I really hope it will be ok.

Any advice on how I actually remove the spur gear?  Do I have to remove a load of screws just to access it?

Just found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/65T-Aluminum-Spur-Gear-for-Turnigy-Vandal-FTX-Vantage-Carnage-Banzai/131483839979?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30004%26meid%3Db77fd771b1cf4833841b681adb698c4e%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D131462345752

I think this guy is a member on here?

Thank you

Edited by mikeald