• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Basically they've fitted waterproof 2.4ghz radio gear, servo and ESC. You'll need a brushless combo to get it as fast as the HPI. 

Hi all,

Great thread, took a while to get to the end!

I want to purchase one of the etronix photon combos for my carnage but can't decide on 9, 10 or 12t. Which would be better suited?

Also I would like to get some different pinions, which other make can I use on this car?

Thanks

Just found the rw pinions, which ones are for the carnage? I'm thinking its the 48dp long boss, is this correct?

Edited by [email protected]

thanks, found them.

any advise on the brushless turn size and what pinion to suit?

the million dollar question mate, have a good look through the thread, i think most people settile for a 16 or 17 ? all does depend on that motor though, 

im running a 5000kv motor and a 17t, but it is on a vantage pro which is a bit lighter, 

anyways its half the fun finding out which works and doesnt i find, which reminds me i need a temp gun !!!

enjoy 

So far on my Vantage my current upgrades are ,

Carbon front and rear shock towers

Carbon top plate

Carbon battery plate

Tamiya TRF 201 48dp spur gears (slightly modded to fit)

Tamiya 48dp pinions

Tamiya TL01B long rear Blue anodized driveshafts

Anodized Blue top Damper holders

3 Racing D3 Sakura 4mm clamp type Blue anodized wheel hex's

White anti roll bars (medium)

White tuned medium springs (Medium)

Tamiya Anodized Blue stabilizer ends

Tamiya Anodized Blue wheel nuts

Lithium medium grease in rear diff

Lithium soft grease in front diff

Tamiya DF03 Wheels

FTX Vantage standard Tyres

Clear Vantage body and wing set painted into a tribute to the Tamiya Astute

Powered by old school 8.4v Nimh custom soldered battery pack, using deans battery bars and deans connectors.

Speed Passion Reventon R ESC with 5.5R Motor

Spektrum DX2E Radio set

Hi-Tec hi speed metal geared servo 

and a few small bits and pieces.

Coming soon is .......

Tamiya DF03 hard type turnbuckle set

Red Soft Anti roll bars

Tamiya K Block 62mm tyre set

and possibly lipo power.

Hope you all like the new pictures :)

James

:)

• Like 1

I tried many different variations of grease before settling on this setup. Works fine with what i have, so may not work for others.

My DF03MS Tamiya Hard Turnbuckle kit arrived today. so got them fitted along with some lovely 3 racing 4.8mm blue ball studs. Fits perfect on the Vantage chassis. Fronts, Rears and Steering ones fitted.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/gallery/image/26795-/

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/gallery/image/26794-sam-0511/

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/gallery/image/26793-/

Just waiting on black DF03 wheels arriving so I can get the Tamiya K Block Tyres fitted.

Thanks

James

Edited by insanejim69

morning gents

I'm new to the forum and the sport 

just recently got back into RC after a 15 year break

I brought I rolling vantage chassis off ebay for 69.99

and replaced the motor to a leopard v2 esc and 9t 4370kv motor with a 23t pinion and a 7.4v 5200mh 2s 30-40c

after the first run I fried the esc but the shop accepted it back and I replaced them for new

yesterday during the second run I melted the orange motor wire off its bullet connector

the speed was ultra impressive but I think I have over powered something

I do have a 3300kv motor and 60a esc sitting in the box waiting for a chassis would this be more suitable for the vantage

where am I going wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :xd:  :xd: :xd:  :xd:  :xd:  :xd:  :xd:  :xd:  :xd:  :xd:  :xd:  :xd:  :fish:  :fish:  :tank:  

Edited by boffy999

morning gents

I'm new to the forum and the sport

just recently got back into RC after a 15 year break

I brought I rolling vantage chassis off ebay for 69.99

and replaced the motor to a leopard v2 esc and 9t 4370kv motor with a 23t pinion and a 7.4v 5200mh 2s 30-40c

after the first run I fried the esc but the shop accepted it back and I replaced them for new

yesterday during the second run I melted the orange motor wire off its bullet connector

the speed was ultra impressive but I think I have over powered something

I do have a 3300kv motor and 60a esc sitting in the box waiting for a chassis would this be more suitable for the vantage

where am I going wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :xd::xd: :xd: :xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::xd::fish::fish::tank:

Morning mate. Welcome to the forum.

1st up invest in a few more pinions.

Get a range from 15 to 19 preferably hw hardened steel. 0.6 mod size start off with the 17. Try and try the different sizes.

I'm running a 5000kv motor with a 17t pinion and it's a little toasty. But not too dramatic.

I'd also cut a hole in the side of the shell so it cools the motor slightly. U would be better sorting this now as when the Summer comes it will be a lot warmer then too.

I also have reduced the punch and timing settings to keep the heat down. But it is a matter of playing about with the pinion sizes until u get a nice balance between the motor esc etc etc.

There is a lot if info in this thread regarding gearing plus other stuff and well worth a read !

Good luck

Tez

• Like 1

thanks for that great reply

I've ordered a 15t 16t 17t  

what will the lower gearing give me is it faster acceleration but lower top speed have I got that the right way round

is there a maths equation to work out the best ratio for the motor esc batt  combination 

cheers kev

Nice one so the game is to balance accelarion top speed and heat in the motor

I know a 23t burns the **** out of the motor so should I work from 15t up an see where I get the best balance

Yup exactly that. Start with the 15t. And work from there. When u find something that's not hot as hell then start to play with the esc settings.

• Like 1