• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

1 minute ago, Iain .R said:

It's the wheels I bought as replacement till I sorted the carnage wheels out . The wobbly ones are off Gaz till I sorted out the rubbish inserts so now iv put the original wheels back on the wobble has gone   

So new barings   not needed 

New hub hex   not needed 

To go with my  3 packets of alloy  tie rod ends that dont fit my cars   M3 x1 M4 x2 . 

Video says the same.

They looked like they are broken.

Are you fit to glue tires yourself?

These are the wheel I have and all cars are very happy:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-4PCS-Wheel-Rim-Tires-For-HSP-1-10-Monster-Truck-RC-Car-12mm-Hub/324331868616?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Inserts:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Armaflex-Pipe-Insulation-Lagging-Black-Nitrile-Foam-Class-O-2m-76mm-19mm-Wall/202623606704?epid=17030369917&hash=item2f2d4edfb0:g:VmsAAOSwf6FciNrK

( Must cut yourself )

• Thanks 1

@DavidBH Hobbywing max10 or Castle sidewinder 4 combo with 3200 - 4000kv motor, higher kv more speed less torque. Castle have much better modulation and programming, hobbywing are bomb proof.  (I tend to go for lower kv as you can always pinion up and volt up)
This is why i cringe a little when i see anyone recommend a cheap brushless combo. They are good for a little while then die leaving you with a dead truck and no fun.

cansize.thumb.PNG.672491911dc4b4a66de3a2a66bca60ad.PNG

Here are some motor sizes the max 10 with 3652  sits nicely in the middle, anything longer would need the chassis cutting.

You really do get what you pay for with motors and esc's ive found and they are worth the investment. 🙂

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Redback said:

@DavidBH Hobbywing max10 or Castle sidewinder 4 combo with 3200 - 4000kv motor, higher kv more speed less torque. Castle have much better modulation and programming, hobbywing are bomb proof.  (I tend to go for lower kv as you can always pinion up and volt up)
This is why i cringe a little when i see anyone recommend a cheap brushless combo. They are good for a little while then die leaving you with a dead truck and no fun.

cansize.thumb.PNG.672491911dc4b4a66de3a2a66bca60ad.PNG

Here are some motor sizes the max 10 with 3652  sits nicely in the middle, anything longer would need the chassis cutting.

You really do get what you pay for with motors and esc's ive found and they are worth the investment. 🙂

I have the 3652. Fits perfectly.

Old one out, new one in.

That's it.

With your statement I think I made a mistake with the 4000KV motor.

But well, let's see. At least I can pinion down.

What I like about the Max 10 combo is that the price is equal to the FTX Carnage brushed/brushless price difference.

But you get a much better combo than Etronix and you can still sell the old one for a tenner.

Getting a brushed Carnage 2.0 with that combo is a better value for your money.

• Like 1

@DavidBH:

I think I have the same GoolRC in my other Carnage which I bought recently.

Mine is working fine.

But then not very long.

After about 30mins heavy bashing everything kept shutting down.

That day I was driving for 2 mins and carry for 10 mins.

It's overheating despite 2 fans.

And I was only running it with 2S Lipos.

I believe, even if you got yours working, you would not have been much happy with it.

On top, it's not waterproof at all as they claim. Not even splashproof.

Once I know how to program it, I will try to reduce the power to 50%.

Then it is a good car for friends to try and learn RC racing.

IMG-5183.jpg

Or I throw in another Hobbywing combo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidBH said:

That doesn't look good. What was the problem so I know when it happens to me

It's the hex on the wheels are worn  as the hex on the carnage is 12mm  (just for example)   the wheel hex is 12.05 so its loose    so when I put the original carnage wheels on it's a nice tight fit . 

But the wheels did there job . I dont know if i can use them again 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jens said:

There can be numerous causes:

- stones

- pinion slipped

- wrong mesh

I had stones before and recently a slipped pinion.

That's how I solved it:

The slipper clutch is not really useful when running brushless on 2S Lipos. Even worse with 3S.

I ended up fully tightening the slipper clutch.

Anything less it has a survival rate of 1-2 bash runs.

But it increases the risk of drivetrain stress & damage somewhere else.

After changing the spur, fix the cup that holds the center dogbone with blue threadlocker (Loctite). Let it cure for a day.

Align and fix the pinion keeping a distance from the spur. Use blue threadlocker again. Also let it cure for a day.

Pinion & spur are not perfectly round. There is always a variance of 0.1mm or so.

You need to find the point were pinion & spur are closest.

Set the mesh by putting a piece of paper between pinion & spur and press the pinion against the spur.

Turn the spur to make sure that it turns smoothly. If not, reset the mesh at the point were the spur turns with some resistance.

If the mesh is too loose the gears will wear down.

If the mesh is too tight, the pinion will get loose and starts sliding.

1 day curing for the threadlocker is not really needed, but I am playing safe.

That is very detailed and appreciated, thank you! 

Will come in handy for when my gears arrive and I go to put it all together. 

Cheers! 

11 minutes ago, DavidBH said:

my fingers hovering over the hobbywing 3652 on modelsport. Trying to decide what else I may need to take it to £99 for the free p&p. Assortment of screws maybe..... better battery strap oh the choices. Maybe a spare front bumper again!

Hi m8 what bumper are you in need off  as I have 3 I think it is carnage bumpers if you need one .you can have one  

That's if any others need any carnage or outlaw  bumpers . Free  just the postage .  

• Thanks 2

I Iain R thanks for the offer yes I would take you up on that. My son smashed the first one but the chassis was also damaged. The front is all stuck together with glue and some pipe lagging to help impacts next time, but I think I will need to move to new bumper and new chassis next major crash. Once I get that new motor I am sure it wont be long before something else breaks just buying a load of different hex head screws and other spares in anticipation.

How do you want me to get the money to you?

David

20 minutes ago, DavidBH said:

I Iain R thanks for the offer yes I would take you up on that. My son smashed the first one but the chassis was also damaged. The front is all stuck together with glue and some pipe lagging to help impacts next time, but I think I will need to move to new bumper and new chassis next major crash. Once I get that new motor I am sure it wont be long before something else breaks just buying a load of different hex head screws and other spares in anticipation.

How do you want me to get the money to you?

David

Sent you a message m8 . . 

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DavidBH said:

my fingers hovering over the hobbywing 3652 on modelsport. Trying to decide what else I may need to take it to £99 for the free p&p. Assortment of screws maybe..... better battery strap oh the choices. Maybe a spare front bumper again!

Get the battery plug of your choice pre-fixed: +£4

Get a programming card: +£8.54

Note that the ESC comes without plug to give freedom of choice.

8 hours ago, DavidBH said:

ok order for the hobbywing made and a programme card for it and some screws just to get free delivery. Fingers crossed will get the money back from Ebay for the awful goolRC

Good choice for the programming card.

You can reduce the power each time your son takes over. :-)

The hex hubs arrived to day last then 20 hrs after I bought them . Fantastic service.  

Well fitted them and before I did I checked the thickness the old to the new  and the old ones was at least  1/4  thinner than the new ones . So yeaa I guess there well  worn  lol . 

Odd thing  the original  pins  fitted the NEW hex hubs better than the new pins do . So if left the original pins in the slots fitted in to the hex hubs  

The NEW pins fit perfectly in to the old hex hubs . . 

6 hours ago, Jens said:

Good choice for the programming card.

You can reduce the power each time your son takes over. 🙂

think that may be each time I take over !!! 😀 Forgot to spec the deans connection on the ESC woke up this morning and a quick panic email, thankfully the guys at modelsport https://www.modelsport.co.uk/  spotted it and now its coming with the deans connection on it. They are very efficient and have been an absolutely excellent company to deal with, highly recommeneded. Wish I could say about the company that I bought the GoolRC via on ebay, their latest is go to a local shop and get it fixed and they will pay for it. Only open shops are supermarkets so makes me think they are not UK based. It will be an interesting conversation at customer first in ASDA when I ask them to fix the motor 😂😂😂 Refund requested via ebay now.

New motor comes Mon/ Tues so a quick set up and learn how to use a program card etc. and I will be off again. May need those bumpers !!!

Edited by DavidBH

2 minutes ago, DavidBH said:

think that may be each time I take over !!! 😀 Forgot to spec the deans connection on the ESC woke up this morning and a quick panic email, thankfully the guys at modelsport spotted it and now its coming with the deans connection on it. They are very efficient and have been an absolutely excellent company to deal with, highly recommeneded. Wish I could say about the company that I bought the GoolRC via on ebay, their latest is go to a local shop and get it fixed and they will pay for it. Only open shops are supermarkets so makes me think they are not UK based. It will be an interesting conversation at customer first in ASDA when I ask them to fix the motor 😂😂😂 Refund requested via ebay now.

New motor comes Mon/ Tues so a quick set up and learn how to use a program card etc. and I will be off again. May need those bumpers !!!

The MSUK people are really cool and very helpful!!!

Can I give you an advice about those sellers?

I had a number of similar experiences.

If you repair it will cost more than what it is worth it.

Do you think they will give you the money for that?

I have been promised a number times things like that.

None have been kept.

After I had a talk with an ebay person, I follow what they recommended:

Start the return process. Reason: Defect. That way they must pay the return postage.

Then they will ask you to pay for the postage and promise to give you the money back. They won't.

They will ask you to repair. Don't.

Then they will offer a partial refund and you keep the defect item. Don't.

Once the return process has started, time is running against them.

Because if they don't resolve the matter, ebay will step in. Then they have a problem.

So, just wait and ask them to send you a prepaid return postage label.

They might say, that they can't: Not true.

Just relax and let the time work against them.

Do you still have the ebay link for your GoolRC?

I can have a closer look. You can send me a PM if you want.

17 minutes ago, Jens said:

None have been kept.

Start the return process. Reason: Defect. That way they must pay the return postage.

Then they will ask you to pay for the postage and promise to give you the money back. They won't.

Because if they don't resolve the matter, ebay will step in. Then they have a problem.

Yep have seen that tactic on Ebay almost since Ebay started selling items. I gave them a few days they said they would discuss with the manufacturer, will also mention the email saying please email this address with a video rather than via Ebay channels so it cannot be audited. Nothing back after 4 days so instigated the return a few days ago and Ebay will step in on Monday and adjudicate. 

I should have carried out a bit more research was trying to do the brushless motor upgrade after teh original motor failure on the cheap. Had seen some good reviews of that motor though but once installed I knew it was not quite up to it due to the issues of faster backwards than forwards etc. Build quality looked ok though. 

Anyway everyone stay clear of this motor its rubbish or I was very unlucky but as others have said not waterproof as a bit of snow flicked up inside and that was the end of it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402289930418 Buy from https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ fast friendly deliveries. I am sure there are other companies out there as well but worth giving credit for the 4th time they have helped me where credit is due. 

25 minutes ago, DavidBH said:

Yep have seen that tactic on Ebay almost since Ebay started selling items. I gave them a few days they said they would discuss with the manufacturer, will also mention the email saying please email this address with a video rather than via Ebay channels so it cannot be audited. Nothing back after 4 days so instigated the return a few days ago and Ebay will step in on Monday and adjudicate. 

I should have carried out a bit more research was trying to do the brushless motor upgrade after teh original motor failure on the cheap. Had seen some good reviews of that motor though but once installed I knew it was not quite up to it due to the issues of faster backwards than forwards etc. Build quality looked ok though. 

Anyway everyone stay clear of this motor its rubbish or I was very unlucky but as others have said not waterproof as a bit of snow flicked up inside and that was the end of it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402289930418 Buy from https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ fast friendly deliveries. I am sure there are other companies out there as well but worth giving credit for the 4th time they have helped me where credit is due. 

Seller is based in China:

GoolRC.jpg(if above link is the one, where you bought it from)

Taking back the motor/ESC would be a total loss for him, since the item was sold out of a UK location.

Shipping it back to China would cost more than its value.

He will try everything to avoid that loss.

It's natural for any business.

Can't blame them for that, because they must sell with minimal margin to stay competitive.

I am glad that your new Hobbywing is coming soon and then you can have fun.

Which KV has your motor?

Edit:

Don't give them your regular email!! If you send a video, create a new email address!! One day after I sent them a video, somebody tried to log into my iTunes account, based in China. And they cracked my password. They will try to use your email to log in everywhere to get your details.

Edited by Jens

Wish I could say about the company that I bought the GoolRC via on ebay, their latest is go to a local shop and get it fixed and they will pay for it.

This is what they always say, there is no way a model shop can replace exploded capacitors or melted mofset's, the people that sell these hobby products do not know or care thus i avoid ebay / bangood hobby hardware like the plague.

19 hours ago, DavidBH said:

What brushless motors/ esc's do you recommend and hopefully not the most expensive ones either! Need to get this back on the road as I had just bought the 3S lipo and the first blast in the snow was so much fun for 5-10 minutes.

I got this and am very satisfied: Surpass Rocket 60A Waterproof Sensorless ESC & 3100KV Motor Combo UK Stock 1/10 from miniaviation_com on eBay.  (UK seller with item in the UK, delivered in 3-5 days)

I have run it on 2S, 4000mAh battery and got max 25 min.  Shortest was 18min when on ice and snow.  No heat whatsoever, reckon it can take more.  I have a heatspreader on the motor and the ESC comes with a fan.  You can also program the ESC with the most ubiquitous card on BG.

And have run it in the snow (see pix in this thread) 

hope this helps

Edited by TRX
add info

think that may be each time I take over !!! 😀 Forgot to spec the deans connection on the ESC woke up this morning and a quick panic email, thankfully the guys at modelsport https://www.modelsport.co.uk/  spotted it and now its coming with the deans connection on it. They are very efficient and have been an absolutely excellent company to deal with, highly recommeneded. Wish I could say about the company that I bought the GoolRC via on ebay, their latest is go to a local shop and get it fixed and they will pay for it. Only open shops are supermarkets so makes me think they are not UK based. It will be an interesting conversation at customer first in ASDA when I ask them to fix the motor 😂😂😂 Refund requested via ebay now.

There on there way m8 posted today 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jens said:

None have been kept.

I can agree with this 100% .. get your full amout back dont take part and send the item back  recorded   but you find they say dont send it back .. 

But I have had more good sales from china than bad     just the bad I remember more .  

43 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

But I have had more good sales from china than bad

Me too. And there are many good sellers. As long as the product is not failing.

So I tend to buy things from China where the chance of failing is low or where I would be able to fix it myself.

ESC/Motor does not fall into that category. :-)

• Haha 1