• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Where can you buy FTX Vantage Upgrades?

I know why the steering on my buggy was shockingly poor. The previous owner had damaged the actual controllers steering mechanism and glued it back together which limited the turning ability. I realised this when the poorly glue parts fell off and i had much much better steering. Though the controller is a bit fudged.

Any recommendations for a decent 2.4ghz controller. Budget of around

How have others got around the steering limitations when turning left? I noticed the steering linkage hits against the servo. They have designed it with a little groove to allow more movement but it still limits turning by about 30-40 degrees.

Graxon, What do you mean bigger hole? Sorry if that's daft i just don't follow.

Thanks for the link I'll check them out.

as for the bearing, with your example of 5 10 4. i would need to trim the 4 to around a 2. thats not teh actual size im just using your example. The Rear hub would not accomodate a larger bearing and the CVD wouldnt be able to take advantage of the larger whole because of its conical design.

I fixed the steering thing. I just removed the top right lug from the servo and removed the top half of one of the servo mounts. It now turns much better than it did before.

Luke I have a brand new etronix tx and rx that I got with my carnage for sale, you can have it for 20 delivered if you like..

Does any body have the Carbon chassis for the vantage? If so could they see about scanning it or posting me a photocopy of it?

I've been thinking of making a lexan one but i would rather do it from the carbon chassis as a template. I'm thinking either 4 or 5 mm Lexan.

Cheers

Luke

It would also be interesting to know the weight of the carbon chassis.

Edited by luke662

hey luke,

sounds interesting! i'm looking at getting some hop ups home made too...

i wouldnt mind sharing drawings etc....

i'm getting spare front and rear shock support plates this week and i'm gonna look at draw them up on CAD and get the profile laser cut.

from there i will add the metal plate in front of the plastic component as a reinforcement.

Hi Rhum,

I was going to do the shock towers in lexan as well. I thought about doing a similar alloy reinforcement job like you mentioned above but I was concerned that with no flex at all the breaking point of the car would go from the shock towers to the gearbox cases.

I'm happy to share anything I design, draw or make with you.

A Lexan chassis will chew up your gears in no time. The way the 4wd system works means front/rear flex will cause the mesh to alter. The stock chassis is very stiff in that direction, but a flat plate Lexan one, even 4-5mm would be.

Si, You are right that will happen with a flat pieces. Though my design wouldn't be completely flat. Also i have bought a Carbon Top plate to keep the chassis as stiff as possible.

The reason i ask for a scan or photocopy of the carbon one isn't because i plan to do a direct rip of it. Its just easier for me to create a base stencil from. The design I have in mind will allow for screw driver holes to be put in places were i feel they should be added to ease the maintenance of the car.

Luke,

thats exactly what happened to me this week end...

the rear shock plate snapped but it also stripped the thread inside the diff gearbox.

i bought new plates as well as diff gearbox.

i'm now looking at getting a M3 thread repair kit (helicoil) for the diff box.

i'm looking at a maximum thickness of 2mm stainless plate to be bolted against the rear shock plate, this way there still should be some flexibility left in the shock plate.

I had thought about using some alloy or steel but the problem with that is the additional weight would make it slightly more top heavy.

As the car likes to roll at the best of times i ruled this out as a solution. I have the sway bars fitted and the flipping has cut right down though so maybe if you fit the sways and did this you would be ok.

• 2 years later...

Have a look on modelsport they usually have all the ftx upgrade parts, as I have a brushless vantage with some upgrades in the post from msport uk...

Edited by racerDan20

So you don't have one yet and haven't even tried one yet but you know they aren't even 'half decent', and now you 'know why they are cheap'? I suggest buying one first before coming to that conclusion. They are decent cars. Some mods improve things but that's the same with any car.

I have the FTX Edge and it's brilliant and taken loads of hammer. A very good starter car.

Got to agree, why not just run the car and enjoy it?

It will never be in the same league as better quality stuff and it will be frustrating trying to get it there.

I have bought the alloy bodied shocks, carbon towers, sway bars and fitted socket head stainless bolts throughout and thats it......probably spent

I love my Carnage, especially since I bunged a Brushless combo in. My Ackerman plate is still in one piece. 

CVDs do work on the rear although they may not be up to the job for long, I bust a pin last Sunday. Having said that, I've busted front pins too.