• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stick or Gun Transmitter, what do you use and why?

kingscott

Hi all

Just wondering what kind of transmitter controllers people use? and do you race or just bash? why have you chosen the type of controller you use?

I Have always used stick but I've just recently gone over to guns, No doubt about it, I am not as good with the gun's.

Looks to me like most people use Guns these days, but I find I have much less control?

15 years ago when I raced electric 1/10th guns didn't even exist as far as I know! yet now I see that all RTR packs are now gun control, 95% of the top drivers use guns so there must be an advantage!

I suppose its what your used to! I'm pro stick and Ill be going back to it as soon as I get the money for a new set up, but again the selection is seriously limited compared to guns.

What's your thoughts?

don't care, i'm amazing with whatever controller you give to me. i use whatever i've got or comes with the car i'm not too fussed as long as it doesn't break.

when i started i used sticks, never got on with pistol type until i bought a rtr 2wd slash when the first came out, didn`t like it but i wouldn`t buy a stick set-up.

now i wouldn`t go back to sticks, i have a dx3s which is perfect for me, i can throttle and steer with the same hand, leaving me to have a ciggie when im out bashing......

I use wheel TX's, mainly because i like the feeling of turning something that makes it turn, rather than pushing a lever which doesnt quite feel right to me lol

don't care, i'm amazing with whatever controller you give to me. i use whatever i've got or comes with the car i'm not too fussed as long as it doesn't break.

Skills to pay the bills.

What were you BRCA standings for 2010? :b

Skills to pay the bills.

What were you BRCA standings for 2010? :b

i didn't say in which car i've had 4 different transmitters and reciver and my master smacker and i never crash it!!!!! :sweatdrop:

• Like 1

Both me and my wife use gun style, i personaly find them better with a large nitro and petrol models as its easyer to flick a finger to brake than pull down. And the wheel steering is usefull for turning hard.

"NEVER CRASHED IT"

i would find it hard to crash it in the middle of 4 rugby pitches. and maybe it was a bit of a lie i've rolled it and crashed into other cars (they crashed into me though) a couple of times. :yes:

ive used both but personally i prefer stick as its what i started out on and what im most used to :)

mind you ive not seen many rtr / kits these days that come with a stick controller so i may have to make the jump when i get my new toy ordered

i preferr the gun type, it just feels more natural for fast paced bashing, although i reckon racing etc on road i would be more inclined towards a stick as it would have better control to it.

As A newb I seem to have settled on sticks. Mainly cos I already got the TX for my heli's so just banged another model in the memory. Missus uses the pistol that came with my hyper and TBH it feels wrong to me. I seem to have more feel for steering with a stick. Gonna get her a DX3 for chrimbo then have mine back. Might try it for a bit longer, but don't think it's for me.

Besides, using the sticks keeps my orientation going for the helis too. Mind, I'm still crap at both :D

Rob

As A newb I seem to have settled on sticks. Mainly cos I already got the TX for my heli's so just banged another model in the memory. Missus uses the pistol that came with my hyper and TBH it feels wrong to me. I seem to have more feel for steering with a stick. Gonna get her a DX3 for chrimbo then have mine back. Might try it for a bit longer, but don't think it's for me.

Besides, using the sticks keeps my orientation going for the helis too. Mind, I'm still crap at both :D

Rob

oo theres an idea, use a heli tx and set it up so its all on the left stick, leaves the right hand free for a camera or whatever other one handed persuit you may fancy :D

Wheel type for me, all the way when it comes to cars. Oddly though, I find sticks more logical with a boat....no idea why though!!!

Don't like having to keep my fingers on the end of the sticks all the time...just don't find it comfortable driving like that.

oo theres an idea, use a heli tx and set it up so its all on the left stick, leaves the right hand free for a camera or whatever other one handed persuit you may fancy :D

Sorry, but I need BOTH hands... :003:

I have throttle set on the right stick, as it's sprung

I use wheel mainly because I only started this hobby in January and my package came with a wheel transmitter (having a wheel makes it feel more like a car to drive to, sticks are for planes/helicopters in my opinion anyway)

I think most younger people use wheels, the older generation use sticks with crystals and a metre long antenna to hit you with on the rostrum.

the older generation use sticks with crystals and a metre long antenna to hit you with on the rostrum.

only a metre long? must be one of them new fangled types!

noticed that when i started looking at the kits, none of them seem to have the old whip antennas anymore, ah well...

• Like 1

i tend to drive with wheel controllers however i do have a DX6i which i have used in the past for a crawler and might again when i buy an XR10,

I used to use sticks as thats all that was available when i was a kid but since getting a wheel one for crawling i havent really looked back.

I think either is as good as each other if you get used to it, im sure i could go back to sticks without to much effort

only a metre long? must be one of them new fangled types!

noticed that when i started looking at the kits, none of them seem to have the old whip antennas anymore, ah well...

Ah the days when you could whip your competition across the face with your Arial on a cold winters day!!!! Non contact sport my arse!!! ha ha ha

• Like 2

I use wheel mainly because I only started this hobby in January and my package came with a wheel transmitter (having a wheel makes it feel more like a car to drive to, sticks are for planes/helicopters in my opinion anyway)

I think most younger people use wheels, the older generation use sticks with crystals and a metre long antenna to hit you with on the rostrum.

I'm 31 doe's that make me the "older generation" ??? ;)

"when I were lad, we had to chase t cars round t track on bit t wire lad ah tell thee, Non of this fancy gigga megga radio equipment youths use t day"