• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My hyper black with .21 picco.

martin

Decided today on getting a new engine for the hyper as it doesn't tick over well when warmed up it has to be on a fast idle, the compression/pinch is none existant and slowly dying a horrible death, how the hell it starts up is beyond me lol, needs new carb seals and piston and liner just put a new turbo fan in and front bearing last week but hey ho, so if anyone wants a spare mill let me know, it also has a sullivan tiger drive 1 month old worth £30.I decided to go economy and reliability so got the picco, i've seen these go and performance ain't bad at all.

PICCO21.jpg

Only cost me £80 from my hobby shop i know him well so he let me have it at this price, had to make some engine mount spacer plates so roto start clears the chassis other than that straight in, going to break it in tomorrow on heat cycle then let it rip, just look at the state of my hyper, that was mint this morning all gleaming with gt85 spray, 1 hrs bash with my eldest son and theres pigeon feathers dirt everywhere, will clean it later in the week when break in is finished as it will only get splattered in oil from a richer setting, let me know what you guys think of the p3 .21b, i don't think top end will rev as high as my .21 hyper 3 port but bottom end is supposed to be good and mid range.

marty :thumbsup:

I have the same engine mate. Picco don't make these anymore as they sold like hotcakes and they were a basic engine in Picco's eyes even if they outsold the higher priced engines.

So what do they actually go like mate and how much fuel has gone through yours, yes the model shop did say they don't make them anymore, i had other low budget engines in mind for bashing like the ansmann force .21, sts .21 and the go .21 but this one took a shine to me straight away and wanted to try a picco as they are good quality engines, im guessing i should be able to get parts if i need them?, if not another new engine lol.

marty.

Well done 2 tanks today doing the heat cycle, after the 1st tank i removed the engine took off the back plate and you would not believe the amount of swarf (metal particals) that was in the crank back plate and casing, these engines are tight, swilled it out and re oiled and did the 2nd tank a few hours later, so pleased i inspected the engine after the 1st tank as it could have scratched the piston i have always done this on my engines had a bit of metal in the lrp.30 i had but not as much as this picco, its running rich and the initial accelaration is very responsive will start tuning it this week taking it easy and not rev it to hard as its tight and dont want to stress the conrod, but i must say this engine is looking good for £80.

A very pleased marty :yes:

Yes its common every engine i hav erun in has had swarf in this is because of the tightness/pinci thos is why the heat cycle method is the best way of break in to gett he liner to expand rapid, i use tin foil this time of year so it can run rich but get up to 200f still, sorry for bad wording using my phone.

I've run 11 gallons through mine in the past 18 months. Their great engines and very simple to tune. I did have a collar type washer made up that fits over the exhaust port to stop the rubber seal tearing though.

11 gallons thats some going mate well done, i got 8 gallon out of my .28 thundertiger engine before the inner bearing collapsed.started tuning the picco today and i had to do the lsn half a turn in and left the hsn as it is as its hitting high rpm ok although i have yet to hit peak rpm and wont yet until i have got at least 2 litres through it, this engine has way more grunt than the hyper 3 port, all four wheels are spinning on tarmac and the fastrax alloy clutch and thick springs make it take off at higher rpm really well and it looks like it will rev high which is a bonus, temps are staying at 220f not like the hyper which would only tune at 260f, will do a video of it in action when the engine has slackened off a bit so i can nail it.

Got to love Picco engines they are fantastic.

Mine operates at 220f all day long.

Its been in my buggy for around 2 years and still has great compression.

I would recommend one of their tuned pipes for it though. you will definitely notice a difference.

As for performance, I have the grunt pipe attached and you can notice it when up against stock Hypers, Infernos, Virus', etc...

Similar top speeds but on a gradient is will pull away from most buggies.

Well guys its had a bit of a thrashing today had nearly a litre through it and all i can say is wow this thing has serious bottom and mid range power and gets to flat out very quick, it doesnt rev as high as the hyper 3 port i am still running a tad on the rich side still but i think the hyper 3 port would still have the edge but on a track this engine would blow it away.Took the plug out and the coil is still shiny and a tad of oil on it temps went up to 230f at the very most, have still got to hit peak rpm yet but it is to early yet to try it as its still tight.

just wondering guys im getting the jp3 pipe for crimbo, black dust proof wheel nuts and getting a clear shell to spray black (yeah its going ninja) lol, but what does the standard hyper tuned pipe consentrate on bottom, mid or top end?, because at the mo it seems powerful as it is.

marty.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update on this picco engine, its a corker of an engine so much punch at bottom and mid range and still screams high rpm, i timed it on fuel consumption, once it was up to running temp i filled it up to the max and started thrashing it, the tank lasted just over 12 mins which is amazing to me as it has so much power on tap yet is so eco friendly got to give it to picco on these engines, its my 1st picco engine but deffo not my last.

marty :thumbsup: