• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How hot can an engine get?

Scozwinker

My Losi XXL was telling me it was overheating on the first break in. It was reading between 125 to 140. Is this too hot because i have heard some people have issues with the telementary on the XXL and I did the water test and it seems about right , maybe a little hot.. Could it be there is little air flow (even though the top is off) as it is going in slow circles?

Thanks for any advice.

Reading online and on youtube people are are keeping the engine temps below 220f. What break in procedure are you using? Heat cycle or just idling through tanks?

This manual has the operating temps explained. Says normal op temp is between 190f to 220f

Edited by Ruhel

I asked my local hobby shop and they said for the first 3 tanks do 25% throttle to 50% on the last tank accelerating up and down slowly... Did my second break in and i was doin 3 second bursts of around 25% and it was almost reaching 150 C :S

Cheers nitro, when I did put a drop of water it didn't boil that violently but about the time it should take which is a few seconds i believe...

Here is a vid I just took, it was supposedly 180 C...

Cheers nitro, when I did put a drop of water it didn't boil that violently but about the time it should take which is a few seconds i believe...

Here is a vid I just took, it was supposedly 180 C...

180 degrees Celsius is 356 degrees Fahrenheit. Thats bad. Richen the engine a bit on LSN.

it can get as hot as it wants untill it seizes.;) A good test is to spit on the head and see if it sizzles like the food in inian resturants.lol If it dont evaporate then its fine.:good:

also temps will be higher as the engine is loosening up..just run it a little richer for for the break in period and when you start driving normal the air can do its job,by that vid,i think its alright and your temp gauge is proberly misleading,

you need to be running in without shell on, also you need to put holes in front window to aid cooling of engine. 180c far to high HSN needs riching anti clockwise

what fuel using?

Since fitting ceramic bearings to my Alpha S852, I'm getting temps of 280-295f and have had no problems. I find the hotter it gets the better it runs. Though I have heard and seen people running their Alphas at 300f with no problems.

Some engines like it and some don't...

It turns out it was really lean some how? No idea because I can't remember touching it but i richened it quite a bit and now it is hovering around the 100 C mark good.gif

thanks all