• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI, Kyosho or Thunder Tiger On-Road?

mayzie12

Hello, just joined the forum! Seems a very good place to get advice here which is good as i am needing some

I am looking for a new Car and have narrowed it down to three. The HPI RS4 Nitro 3 EVO, Thunder Tiger Tomahawk MX and the Kyosho Pureten.

I have had a thunder tiger before a TS4N (Converted to 2WD Though) and would love to have another but i cannot find anyone selling them new anymore, i have also had a couple of HPI Engined cars but all off road but i have never had a Kyosho car at all and i was just wondering what they were all like in terms of quality and speed that sort of thing and if 4WD is really needed. I am not new to the hobbie and have done these for a good few years so not really worried on how hard they are to control.

If anyone has these cars i would love to know what they think and opinions etc. as i just need more advice to make the final decision.

Thanks in advance Craig :)

welcome to the forum! :good:

the rs4 gets my vote! had an older rs4 and it was great (also had the off road version the mt2)

also as its made by hpi spares are limitless as well as *shudder* hop ups ^_^

Hi Craig

Just one thing, don't be tempted to get a cheap Smartech or suchlike.

Not that you said that but just in case. :good:

I bought one on eBay and you get what you pay for. Luckily I only paid

Your mind made up, it has to be nitro?

Think about if you want to up grade the car at a later date and have a look at both the choice and prices (HPI can get scary in my experience).

Not totally made up but i have always been a bit sceptical about Battery just the fact that you need to keep charging them and have many batteries while with nitro its just fill it up with fuel and off you go. And yes i have had 2 previous HPI Cars and i have never tuned them due to the price, but since ive already had 2 on road cars i do have a good set of spares and other upgraded parts i picked up along the way.

Does anyone know about the Kyosho engine and its Chassis being mainly plastic? it it less rigid? or is it just a cheap chassis?

HPI is a very good make, so the rs4 would be good. Thunder tiger and kyosho are also great makes, just spares arent easily sourced.

Smartechs winner pro onroad car is very good, i like smartech i have a buggy.

I have had a acme cyclone for about 2 months, it was great, not a single fail run. Not one part broke and i used it 3-5 a week! I loved it that much, but sadly i was offered

i'll leave out pureten no good, an power switch is located in ultra dodgey location under chassis so any little debris catches it run away whistling.gif

rs4 ok had all of them(belt drive too shaft drive) an wasn't really taken by them at all whistling.gif ts4n better

tomahawk mx aka vx got one tremendous car fast like a bullet, parts easily available good.gif

modelzone has special offer @ mo (an best palace to get spares too)

http://www.modelzone...k-bmw-wtcc.html

Also team assiocated Ntc3 good

smarttech,acme,hsp tourer 100% look otherway their chassis filmsy, engine pants, the drive of it is like a brick on wheels laugh.gif

Edited by R46

smarttech,acme,hsp tourer 100% look otherway their chassis filmsy, engine pants, the drive of it is like a brick on wheels laugh.gif

Honestly the acme cyclone pro what i had was great!:D handled really well and drifted well. The top speed was amazing (2 speed). The team infinity 15 started 1st pull every time.

Not one breakage. Come on

"smarttech,acme,hsp tourer 100% look otherway their chassis filmsy, engine pants, the drive of it is like a brick on wheels laugh.gif"

Couldn't agree more with R46.

Things like grub screws into soft plastic and crap handling. I had one, a winner pro that just needed cleaning....

Happily it's on my shelf with a bent chassis. Which is made of cheese.

had 2 cyclone pro (with 2 speed needed it really) the price reflects quality of it IMHO, mine had infinity 18's horrid to tune LSN made no difference to tune what so ever confused.gif engine ran hot an no actual speed to say wow, their upgraded exhaust system don't even fit correctly rofl.gif

Dan13 your all about acme models helpsmilie.gifoneday your eyes be opened to proper rc's sooner the better GOD PLEASE laugh.gif

Looks like it shall be the Thunder Tiger then.

Thought it would as i have had a few previously and knew they had cracking engines. Also its a good price only a little more expensive than the kyosho and is a bit cheaper than the HPI

Sadly though Modelzone is out of stock at 149.99 although i can get it elsewhere for 179.99.

Might wait a little to see if they come back in stock before the offer is over.

Thanks for all the advice and help Guys :good:

i have had a ts4n, very good car but spares for me weren't the best to get a hold of.

out of the 3 u choose then u should go with the hpi rs4 3.

extremely tough, i have the ss version (kit)

i loved it that much i spent alot of money on alloy parts for it.

its a shelf queen now as i dont want to ruin it.

To me I don't really get the concept of shelf queen when it comes to rc cars, if I buy expensive or even cheap rc cars I would use em without a doubt rather than displaying it and not using it at all.

If you are going to display or make shelf queen I strongly suggest doing glueing & modelling (cars/planes/boats/trains watever) mate.

To me I don't really get the concept of shelf queen when it comes to rc cars, if I buy expensive or even cheap rc cars I would use em without a doubt rather than displaying it and not using it at all.

If you are going to display or make shelf queen I strongly suggest doing glueing & modelling (cars/planes/boats/trains watever) mate.

each to their own.

some ppl are disgraced of what i keep as shelf queens lol

Had a great great bash at marshes, R46 u comming over this weekend?

once weather good should be there good.gif

had ts4n since 2000 till today an parts are easily had smile.gif But mayzie12 not getting a ts4n opted for tomahawk mx/ vx good.gif better choice then rs4 3 by miles whistling.gif

Dan mate I am sorry to say this but the reality is that ACME purely sucks, sorry for the comment. It's all about my Hobao Hyper 10 :D

Seriously the attacker is awsome! It cost

nb16 is the worstest laugh.gif very first acme had an ALL models since then tried from them same experience poor ph34r.gif..All you keep referring to is retail price I look beyond that for quality an durablity sad to say acme don't life upto that FACT.

Edited by R46

I know its not as good quality as the other more branded names, but i really like there new 1/8 models. Seriously it all looks very strong and all the metal is thick and sterdy. I agree with hard bashing at skate parks and bmx tracks and also racing they wont take it too well (bent tower/spurs strip etc) but for light to mild bashing (ie parks/bussiness parks/dust country roads and speed bumps) then they are great! I love the look of it and i think its great value. Also i like the SH18 and SH21 engines they are now coming with instead of team infinities. You have to believe me that the attacker and warrior is not like the condor or monste t. This is all i am trying to say. If you want a cheap and reliable buggy to run at the park or a country road then buy one, you wont regret it!:D

Also the reason i bought mine is that i wanted to make it cope with hard ish bashing. I am almost there i have made lots of improvements and its very satisfying.

As for the 1/5 that was mentioned it wont be as good as a hpi baja, but those things are so cheap i bet you could make it as good.

Sometimes with abit of modifying these cheaper makes can be worth it.

Josh thornley isnt working for nitrotek he just likes there products and also he does videos for them to get £100 towards the next acme model.

Edited by Dan13