• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

When you put it back in and centralised it did you have it powered up and the trim set to central on the tranny before fitting the horn? It's not uncommon for the horn to be a couple of degrees of tdc, the trim on the tranny should only need a little tweeks to bring it back, I don't use the Hpi tranny on mine but use it on my sons maverick no problem 

5 minutes ago, JamboV6 said:

When you put it back in and centralised it did you have it powered up and the trim set to central on the tranny before fitting the horn? It's not uncommon for the horn to be a couple of degrees of tdc, the trim on the tranny should only need a little tweeks to bring it back, I don't use the Hpi tranny on mine but use it on my sons maverick no problem 

Yep, did all that.

This photo doesn't show it very well but if you look at the quadrant which I think is also the servo saver, it's straight and therefore so is the steering. But (again it's not clear in the photo) the horn is off centre. It's leaning to the left of the picture.

Servo.thumb.JPG.120d5e23142b12b95e1a2d8d8279adcd.JPG

19 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

Ok so the servo is in and working great. But it will probably be coming out again. I probably should have gone with my hunch but would be interested on the thoughts of everyone else....

I was told on the phone to centre the servo to line up the horn vertically. The problem is when the steering is centred on all three cars the horn is actually off centre itself. So my intent was to install one tooth from 12 o'clock. But I didn't. I was hoping there would be enough play in the servo adaptors to slide the servo sideways to compensate.

Now it's all in, to get the car to run straight I have to apply quite a bit of trim on the transmitter. And the transmitter will trim the wheels much more one way compared to the other.

I just wondered what everyone else does when replacing a servo on a Firestorm.

Cheers.

Your first instinct was correct, slightly off centre.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamboV6 said:

You can pop off that turnbuckle (the connecting rod between the horn and servo saver arm) and lengthen it slightly that will compensate for the offset 

Can I? I did wonder that as it looks like it's done up tight and wasn't sure whether it was there for adjustment.

Yeah, but I'd unscrew it fully first and just check the length of the thread as it's quite short. One full turn should give you the adjustment you need, if you need any more you might need to swap the screw inside to a longer one first. 

Edited by JamboV6

2 minutes ago, JamboV6 said:

Yeah, but I'd unscrew it fully first and just check the length of the thread as it's quite short. One full turn should give you the adjustment you need, if you need any more you might need to swap the screw inside to a longer one first. 

If I'm going to pop the turnbuckle off I may as well just take the servo out again and move the horn one spline.

The screw supplied with the servo is different to the one fitted at the factory. It has a much coarser thread and a Philips head. I used it as the thread was already cut in the servo shaft and I didn't want to risk stripping it. The thread is probably more suited to nylon to be honest. So the servo has to come out to get on the head with as screwdriver.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JamboV6 said:

Sorry I was referring to the screw thread inside the turnbuckle, it is two ball cups, one either end with a grubscrew connecting them. 

Yeah I knew what you meant. Was just making the point about the screw as not sure why they would be different. The shaft on the new servo is a different material as its grey and seems a little harder.

Adjusted the horn earlier. It's better but because I slid the servo itself over earlier on the side adapters to compensate it's gone a little the other way now. But it's good enough and I am able to trim sufficiently in both directions using the transmitter. Just more one way than the other.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to help out an RC novice.

34 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to help out an RC novice.

Thats exactly what this thread is for, also have a read of the first post if you haven't already ;)

• Like 1

After tinkering with my sons' cars over the last few days I can see me adding a few bits and pieces to mine sooner than I first thought.:rolleyes:

Nice vid everclear. Have you ever watched the Dude Perfect RC episodes on youtube? They drive a Traxxas across a lake!

50 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

After tinkering with my sons' cars over the last few days I can see me adding a few bits and pieces to mine sooner than I first thought.:rolleyes:

Nice vid everclear. Have you ever watched the Dude Perfect RC episodes on youtube? They drive a Traxxas across a lake!

I've seen a few of their vids. What parts are you getting tempted to add/change?

I've seen a few of their vids. What parts are you getting tempted to add/change?
Probably brushless motor and ESC. Not immediately required. But can see it happening. I like the idea of being able to program the ESC to with regards to punch and drag brake too. The previous version ESC fitted to the Firestorm appeared to offer this facility but I don't think the new ones do. Rear bumper too. As it's early days in ownership I have no idea what I'd benefit from.

Once the suspension arm on the third one is fixed we'll get out and about for a good thrash around.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

don't be tempted by alloy bits, seriously all the fs needs is tbone bumpers and your away. Some people fit the ese rod ends if they have them popping off all the time but thats it.

Edited by stretch

9 minutes ago, stretch said:

don't be tempted by alloy bits, seriously all the fs needs is tbone bumpers and your away. Some people fit the ese rod ends if they have them popping off all the time but thats it.

It's why I followed everyone's advice when they recommended the Firestorm. I was orinally going for x2 Brushed and x1 Brushless FTX Carnages. But I'm told they need loads of mods to get them robust enough. Whereas the Firestorms are tough out of the box. Other than the suspension arm my son broke hitting a wall (very hard), they do seem like they can take a beating.

So it will probably just be rear bumpers for all three cars and brushless combo for mine when I get used to the car more.  Very impressed with their ability in the snow. As long as we kept them moving they plowed through nicely. By the time we finished the two cars we were using were filled with snow and still working fine.

Our neighbour's son came out with an old 4WD Maverick he's had for years and it stopped working after a short time.

Edited by BoutTime

Ftx don't come close to the fs. The front bumper has saved me loads of times as it partly covers the arms.
I may have mentioned already, but I fitted RPM front bumpers as I wanted them on there before they were driven for the first time. So will maybe get the TBone rears.

2 hours ago, BoutTime said:

I may have mentioned already, but I fitted RPM front bumpers as I wanted them on there before they were driven for the first time. So will maybe get the TBone rears.

Its worth getting the T-bone front ones too, much better than the RPM ones...

I bent a few stock turnbuckles, doing backflips off ramps. So I've got titanium turnbuckles with ESE rod ends, and T-bone bumpers.

I have got RPM rear hubs as they take a slightly bigger bearing, but they are not necessary.

Obviously in not running any stock electrics though as I bought mine as a used roller.

Edited by ostewart

Sorry about the quote, stupid forum keeps repeating my last post and won't let me delete it.
No worries. Any tools/tool kits or spares storage you can recommend? Good bang for buck?

The Firestorm got new bearings throughout today. The 2 screws under the chassis that hold the gearbox had rounded so they got replaced (after much swearing while trying to remove them!) and I had to cut away the rear camber link because of the way it's designed, so that also got replaced. While replacing the gearbox bearings I found this all chewed up

738eda7a01f61b2d4cd5204dab9f2f86.jpg

I remember putting it back together last time I changed the bearings and thinking to myself, that'll need replacing before I bash it again :lol:

21 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

No worries. Any tools/tool kits or spares storage you can recommend? Good bang for buck?

Boxes like these with removable partitions are great for spares. This is just the first one I found, I paid about £5 for mine from Buyology.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-sort-master-organiser/73900?tc=QT2&ds_kid=92700022885049840&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=CjwKCAiArOnUBRBJEiwAX0rG_frJZLEBUHHF7xjVgWPFfdIVIItzYIodg1ySssemu3ShX6p4jG57oxoCipoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMD9truu0NkCFYa3GwodyVQA5A

I use this bag for transporting my Firestorm, it's big enough for car, my spares box, tools, transmitter, Lipos and a temp gun with room to spare. I've had mine for over a year and there's no much as a loose stitch.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-vehicle-hauler-backpack.html?___store=en_us

Tools, I bought a set of Turnigy hex drivers and just replaced the tips with Arrowmax ones as they wore out. The handles are nice to hold. I'm on my way out the door so don't have time to find the link for them but it's these ones -

• Like 1