• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

Hi all. New to this so apologies if this has been covered. But I've recently brought a second hand firestorm.  No box or anything. I assume it's not the rapid one. I've no idea on its age. It's fitted with the firebolt 15t motor and sc-15 esc. 

What does all this mean? 

having just bought a firestorm second hand myself I can confirm the esc is lipo compatible but only up to 2s. To change the esc setting for Lipo you could Google it or alternatively...

1. Turn on your controller.

2. On your esc, hold down the button right next to the on off switch (there will be a little tool in the battery compartment of the controller which works for this). While you hold that button down, turn on the esc and it will do a short and long beep. Release button.

3. The LED should now blink once, repeatedly.

4. Press and hold the button again until it long beeps again, then release. This takes you into the battery choice. This is indicated by the number of times the GREEN LED flashes. Once = NIMH, twice = LiPo and 3 times = life.

5. To select the battery type of your choice, quick press the button. Once you are on the required setting (stock battery is NiMH so you would want the LED to blink once, repeatedly), then press and hold down the button again.

And that is programming the battery type. There are other menu settings however you may want to try and find the documents online. Or if needs be I can take a picture and send it to you. Just let me know :)

• Like 2

Nope, getting a bit fed up with the ball ends constantly popping off though, time to order some ese ones. I think I'm going to take the Firestorm out of action for a while while I get some parts together, it's looking a feeling a bit knackered.

I'll post up some video footage soon :)

• Like 2

Its not until next week that I am going to be trying out the generic / unbranded esc and motor (brushless) from ebay as posted further up, but I thought i'd ask for more advice in advance, in case it turns out to be a bag of ****.

I was looking at this combo which looks pretty decent. Any thoughts? Anyone had previous experience with them? Am I still better off buying the motor and esc seperate?

THANKS =)

edit - heres the link because im retarded and forgot it the first time lol....

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/247128/

p.s. I'm on a budget as i'm still very new to the hobby. ideally no more than £30 for either ... each.

Edited by Shokka

Have a look at this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Best-GoolRC-Waterproof-3650-4300KV-Brushless-Motor-60A-ESC-for-1-10-RC-Car-T5V1-/401248284371?hash=item5d6c42eed3:g:XtgAAOSw-0xYXPq~

Basically Hobbywing clones. John in Derby has the 150a/3800kv (I think it's that kv) in his Outlaw.

• Like 1

Got the 3660 3800kv in the Outlaw but also waiting for one of the 3650 3500kv waterproof systems which is the same as linked to except for the KV rating to arrive for the Hooligan.

Impressed with the 3660 motor and ESC in the Holligan. Very, very smooth at slow speed, no cogging. Hope the 3650 system will be as good.

John

• Like 2

great, good to know. thanks very much guys.

with that combo and similar ones. are they pretty much ready to install and run? simple swap out of the old ESC and Motor and away you go? or are there other things I will need?

Edited by Shokka

12 minutes ago, Shokka said:

great, good to know. thanks very much guys.

with that combo and similar ones. are they pretty much ready to install and run? simple swap out of the old ESC and Motor and away you go? or are there other things I will need?

You'll need to install your choice of battery connections, and re-calibrate the tx to the esc but other than that it's plug 'n' play!

• Like 1

is re-calibrating the tx controller specific or ESC specific? i.e. do the instructions on calibration stay the same for the tx no matter what the ESC or the other way around? not too sure as mine came pre bound.

50 minutes ago, Shokka said:

is re-calibrating the tx controller specific or ESC specific? i.e. do the instructions on calibration stay the same for the tx no matter what the ESC or the other way around? not too sure as mine came pre bound.

The ESC will have instructions for calibration.

• Like 1