• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

is a failsafe needed for a 2.4 ghz remote?

kevden45

Is a failsafe needed for a 2.4 ghz radio control? or are they already built in? sorry if this is a dumb question i'm going to be buying my first nitro car tomorrow probably the thunder tiger eb4 and i am new to this. Also are these cars any good?

A lot of modern radio control sets have built in fail safe settings should you go out of range or start to wear your battery down. It should state in the instructions or product description whether it supports TX/RX fail safe. You can also buy seperate electronic fail safe systems that you install inside your radio box on the car.

However, electronic fail safe systems are ueless if you suffer a battery disconnect as it kills all power to the electronics and the car will scream off on WOT.

Always best to use a rubber band around your carb and throttle servo as a mechanical back up :)

Just do a search on the particular radio gear you want to know about and you should easily find info.

I don't know anything about the thunder tiger you mention though. Sorry.

I'm sure someone will be along who does though :)

I have spektrum DX3S, and its built in

mow

I have literally just had a problem where I lost power to the car, and although I am runninng a 2,4 ghz system, the failsafe did NOT kick in as there was no power to the servos to return them, which left me with my first runaway (second tank of running in my first nitro car) While the batteries are charging I have just installed a rubber band failsafe - so IMHO the answer is a definate YES!

how do u attach a rubber band? im not usin a failsafe atm just aint got round to getting one......so if i attach a rubber band would that stop it running off if my batterys die?

Thanks

It keeps the throttle from opening too far so you dont have a WOT run away.

I attach mine from the far end of the carb slider and across over to my servo horn. What you want to achieve is for the rubber band to close the throttle, or keep it from opening too far. As mentioned in another thread, you can also use a spring.

It does not really matter what mechanical device you use, but it is always useful to have one because electronic failsafes will not work in the event of a battery disconnect. (for example after a nasty jolt from a poorly landed jump)