• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial SCX-10

Zombi

The deed is done, I'm now in the SCX-10 scale club. I've gone with the Dingo kit for a few reasons, including the crazy low price, because I wanted to build a kit, and because I didn't want the stock electronics from an RTR.

I learned a lot from my Yeti build, and with that in mind applied some of those lessons right from the off with a couple of small upgrades for the initial build. I'll keep the specification listed out here on the first page as it grows.

Tekin FX-R ESC
Tekin T-30 Pro Hand Wound 540 Brushed Motor
Savox SW-1210SG Servo
Spektrum SRS4210 4 Channel RX
Castle 10amp BEC
MIP C-Drive Spline CVD kit for Axial AX10
SSD 1.9 Assassin Wheels
Ottsix Voodoo KLR tyres (silver)
Hot Racing Hardened Steel Light Weight Transmission Gears
Robinson Racing 87T Super Spur Gear
Robinson Racing 12T Pinion
Crawler Innovations Deuce's Wild Foams
Axial Front Universals
Loaded Ox Brass Beef Tubes
Loaded Ox 4-link Servo Mount
Yeah Racing Shackles
Pull Pal RW-60 Land Anchor
HeyOK! RX Switch (lights)
RC4WD WARN 9.5cti Winch
RC4WD Winch Controller
RC4WD WARN Premium Winch Hook
RC4WD WARN Hawse Fairlead
RC4WD Tough Armour Wide Bumper
RCOffroad.eu Aluminium Sand Ladder
Vanquish C-Hubs

Vanquish 8 Degree Knuckles

Vanquish Titanium Drag Link Set
Axial Light Bar Set
Pro-line Powerstroke Scaler Shocks

I went with Tekin and Savox again simply because of how their gear has performed in my Yeti. Plus with the Tekin ESC, I already have the Hotwire link to configure it to how I want it.  The MIP spline is indeed for the AX10, and I'll explain more about that when I come to do the install.

The car itself arrives Wednesday with a bunch of other stuff, but some pics of what I've already received to follow shortly...

Most recent picture here:

P1040850_zpsy9untort.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

Assuming you're running this from Lipos, what cell are you looking at?

Only reason i ask is that while looking for a new motor to replace my burnt out 35T Novak i was recommended to move to 3s but to drop down to a 16 or 17t pinion if running an 87t spur. 

To compensate that i'm going to be running the same 30t motor as you have now but have also moved up to a 90t spur with the 17t pinion on 3s. This apparently should give me the ideal final ratio for the motor / esc to run cool but the wheel speed from the 30t and 3s.

Its all too technical for my old brain to fully understand but came from the guys behind Holmes and Team Brood motors so i'm comfortable in their knowledge.

Other than that, lovely spec mate... you going D90 or something else with this?

I'll be running it on 3S. I saw your comments before on gearing on FB. After that I did some hefty research on RCC.com and learned that the combo I've selected for electronics and gearing (87t spur and 20t pinion) will give good wheel speed for ascents and plenty of torque to crawl.

The SCX10 is all new to me remember, so I'm far from an expert on such things (yet!), and thus there's going to be a large portion of trial and error for me. I'll try the 20T pinion, and if it's too fast i'll drop it down some.  

There's only one way to find these things out, and that's to give it a whirl. So we shall see.

3s on a 20t pinion will be silly wheel speed for an SCX10 IMO.

3s would be okay using about a 13/14t perhaps.

I put a 3s in mine with a less powerful ESC, 87t spur and 17t pinion and it was stupid for an SCX10 lol.

Give it a test though it might actually be what you're after, just bare in mind a lot of Americans set theirs up to hit stuff hard lol.

Well with that in mind, I might get another couple of pinions on order from LRC now then. I don't want it to be crazy fast, it's certainly not the point of me buying it.  Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah I would matey, or even consider just running it on 2s.

Mine runs at a nice jogging pace with a 27t motor on 2s with 17t pinion so if you're running a 20t pinion it should be close to the same on 2s.

Completely your choice of course but I did try quite a few different options with mine and 3s was just too much.

I'd also strongly recommend some Axial CVD's and alu hubs/knuckles, you probably already know but it really improves the turning circle :)

Edited by Oh How Original

if your going to be running mip`s grab a rebuild kit as they like to fall apart even when you use the thread lock they supply and tell you to use oh and getextra pins for them aswell the ones that hold the top to the male or female shaft peice as they also like to break espacially if your goping tobe running 3s lipo`s

Yeah I would matey, or even consider just running it on 2s.

Mine runs at a nice jogging pace with a 27t motor on 2s with 17t pinion so if you're running a 20t pinion it should be close to the same on 2s.

Completely your choice of course but I did try quite a few different options with mine and 3s was just too much.

I'd also strongly recommend some Axial CVD's and alu hubs/knuckles, you probably already know but it really improves the turning circle :)

Ah yes forgot to mention that Banners is sorting me out with some front unis - he's my hero :)  As for the knuckles, i think he might be bunging me some "High Clearance" ones too. Not sure, as I say it's all new to me! In time I imagine this thing will be as upgraded as my Yeti though - urgh!

if your going to be running mip`s grab a rebuild kit as they like to fall apart even when you use the thread lock they supply and tell you to use oh and getextra pins for them aswell the ones that hold the top to the male or female shaft peice as they also like to break espacially if your goping tobe running 3s lipo`s

Well I run a MIP on my Yeti and have had not a single issue with it, despite hammering it for 7+ months now. I've heard the gel that comes with them sucks so I won't be using it, I'll be using my trusty blue Loctite that's tried and tested.

And yeah, when looking into this the bods on RCC suggest that the AX10 MIPs are the best one for the Dingo. All you need is Traxxas part number 5145, the pins you mention, so you don't have to use the grub screws that come with the MIP kit.  And naturally, I have these on order and will arrive with the car tomorrow :D

Ah yes forgot to mention that Banners is sorting me out with some front unis - he's my hero :)  As for the knuckles, i think he might be bunging me some "High Clearance" ones too. Not sure, as I say it's all new to me! In time I imagine this thing will be as upgraded as my Yeti though - urgh!

Well I run a MIP on my Yeti and have had not a single issue with it, despite hammering it for 7+ months now. I've heard the gel that comes with them sucks so I won't be using it, I'll be using my trusty blue Loctite that's tried and tested.

And yeah, when looking into this the bods on RCC suggest that the AX10 MIPs are the best one for the Dingo. All you need is Traxxas part number 5145, the pins you mention, so you don't have to use the grub screws that come with the MIP kit.  And naturally, I have these on order and will arrive with the car tomorrow :D

i run the traxxas pins on mine they do need some shaving down and a bit cutting of the end but way better than the grub screw`s and the ax10 ones will also work with the honcho length aswell thats what mine are fitted on and i wasnt talking about that pin i was talking about these pins sorry didnt say it better i`ve broke two of them so far luckily i had a rebuild kit handy so i changed it over

http://miponline.com/store/mip10142.html

and the high clearance knuckles work way better than stock i fitted them a few month ago and noticed a big differnece with mine 

Edited by mini-z-awd
  • Like 1

A question to anyone using an FXR or something similar - what gauge wire do you guys use from ESC to battery?

The solder posts are pretty small and i think 12 AWG will struggle. The set came with 14 AWG, but i'm assuming that's just for ESC to motor...

Have you considered 13g? It's a good compromise, I've been using it on all my rc's lately apart from GT12 which I use 16g.

After your Yeti build, I'll be following this with interest. Excellent choice in the Dingo kit too, it's the best value kit imo if you're wanting a kit to build and upgrade as you build.

Edited by The Dark Knight
  • Like 1

Look what just arrived, the final pieces of the puzzle!  I'm out with Banners this evening on a dusk bash, so the build will have to commence tomorrow methinks. 

I won't bore everyone with the details of each step of the build as i'm sure the SCX thing has been done to death already, so i'll just focus on the upgraded pieces only.

P1040298_zps8fv2kh2x.jpg

Other than that, lovely spec mate... you going D90 or something else with this?

Forgot to answer this, apologies. Originally I wanted a Mojave full body kit, but it seems you can't get them now, not even in the US. So I'm going to stick with the Dingo for now and see how I get on with it. I'm going for a military feel to it I think, painting it with Tamiya polycarbonate PS9 green. I wanted to use the TS version Olive Drab, but I understand that anything other than the poly paints will crack and flake away?

Sucks about the Hilux bodies not being available anymore, that's quite surprised me actually as it was a very popular bodyset.

If you're not already a member Mark, sign up to ScaleRC, it's not the most amazing forum, but you'll no doubt pick up a Hilux body there if you stick up a wanted ad.

Originally I wanted a Mojave full body kit, but it seems you can't get them now, not even in the US.

Procure a loan of one, make a plug from it and make a vacuu-form machine to create your own?