• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LIPO charging question

mephisto

Hi there,

I've reading the guide about charging batteries but I want to ensure I understood the right thing here so I don't put anything on fire.

I have a Turnigy nano tech 2S 5000mah 25-50c

So I should use 5A to charge it? or 1A? I'm afraid of charging at 5A would actually be wrong as I read lots of places saying to charge at 1A.

Could you please clarify?

I have a IMAX B6AC here and the LIPO option says:

LIPO Charge

0.1A 7.4V (2S)

Should I increase this to 1A or 5A?

How long would it take to charge normally a battery of this type?

Thanks!!!

If it doesn't arrive, don't keep them fully charged for too long, 48hrs max, preferably less than that. Use the storage function to drop the voltage.

Ow, I'm glad you mentioned this, I didn't know this fact. I assumed it would need to be longer than 7 days, will get them to storage voltage soon. Thanks again!

You guys are very helpful :)

Let us know how much charge it takes from storage to full, please. I've gotten some strange results recently but I think for a modern battery you are looking at 3000+ from storage to full (had 3300, 3400 and strangely 4000+())

Let us know how much charge it takes from storage to full, please. I've gotten some strange results recently but I think for a modern battery you are looking at 3000+ from storage to full (had 3300, 3400 and strangely 4000+())

From brand new to full charge it took 50 minutes with 1C, took 120 minutes to discharge to 7.76v at 1A

I'm going to charge it to full once the car arrives and post here the results 

Doesn't your charger tell you how many mah the battery charged up to? My accucel six (with the bmax style software I think) did that for me. It is on the bottom right of the display at the end of charging, 3 or 4 figure number showing mah change...

Doesn't your charger tell you how many mah the battery charged up to? My accucel six (with the bmax style software I think) did that for me. It is on the bottom right of the display at the end of charging, 3 or 4 figure number showing mah change...

I didn't pay attention to it when it did. When I charge them again I can let you know the numbers exactly.

That would be cool

I haven't seen many of these numbers about as I searched for a new 2s lipo recommendation so I think it would interest others also it may give us an indication of how that number or the total charge changes as the lipo are run session after session...

Just my 2c

A 5000mah pack is to be charged at 5a.

A cell at storage charge should sit between 3.8/3.9 volts, and will climb to 4.2v after charging. The lvc on the ESC should have a pack coming off at around 3.4v per cell.

Hth

It's not the voltage, it's the current you set, your 5A (5000mah) pack requires a 5 Amp charge current for a 1C charge rate. The charger will monitor the voltage for you, ensuring that it doesn't exceed 4.2 Volts per cell.

It's not the voltage, it's the current you set, your 5A (5000mah) pack requires a 5 Amp charge current for a 1C charge rate. The charger will monitor the voltage for you, ensuring that it doesn't exceed 4.2 Volts per cell.

Yeah that is right, so it started at 4.9A, now is at 3.1A, 8.4V.

There is a counter of time (15min) and on its side it is about 1200 now which I believe is the MAH capacity charged so far?

Yes, the charge rate will drop once the pack reaches approximately 90% capacity.

The 1200 does sound like the charge taken by the pack. From empty, approximately 3.4 volts per cell, you should see the pack take approximately 4700 to 4800 mah. From storage approximately 1500.

Yes, the charge rate will drop once the pack reaches approximately 90% capacity.

The 1200 does sound like the charge taken by the pack. From empty, approximately 3.4 volts per cell, you should see the pack take approximately 4700 to 4800 mah. From storage approximately 1500.

Precisely, I left them on storage voltage yesterday and charged it now so it took 30 minutes and went to 1570.

I'm going to charge the other battery that is exactly the same and see how it goes as well