• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Shorted lipo question

optimus

So, last week I shorted my esc/battery. I thought the esc was dead but it turned out it was the battery that was failing to provide power to the esc. Today I decided to put the said battery on the charger to find out if it would charge and once hooked up the charger stated that there was a broken connection. This gave me the idea to open up the battery pack because if I couldn't fix it at least I could say that I tried...

So I carefully removed the covering until I got to the connectors and sure enough one of the silver tab bridge things between two of the cells was broken. I tried soldering it but the solder did not take to the tab very well but eventually I did get a connection. Anyways, I have since wrapped everything back up with Sellotape (I'll have to get some duct tape or if the battery ends up being usable I'll find something more substantial).

So, my question is, would you use this battery? The metal tabs where pressed/stamped together previously and now they have some solder bridging them. My concern is I do not know if there will be enough heat generated through use to damage/melt the solder...

Broken tab:

1190EFBB-DF64-41C0-A06A-196F894F10FD_1.j

After dumping a load of solder on until some of it adhered:

7A55880C-CD41-4BB2-885F-E3CB3E77D6CF.jpg

It charges but is it safe to use?:

39E53133-9184-4B6B-984E-01323FF0D502.jpg

That's a crap solder joint, as soon as you get up to the power drain of a car (rather than the half dozen amps of a charger) it's going to overheat and break.

Do it again properly, decent soldering iron, clean joint, flux. And so on.

It's definitely not the best joint. I have a antex 25w iron with a 5mm tip. I will try to clean the connection better but the metal just seemed to reject the solder so I'm not sure if it was because of the material the connection is made from or because the connection needed to be cleaned better. I tried rubbing flux in it which is what the brown stuff is...

Anyway, I'll give it another go.

Any ideas where I can get the stuff the battery originally came wrapped in (soft pack so comes in that plasticky shrink wrap stuff)?