• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Willashcroft's MST FS-01D VIP

willashcroft

So, here we go.

Last weekend, I attended my very first D1RC round in Colchester, Essex; my first proper experience of drifting on a track, on a rostrum, with other drifters. Being so used to messing about in car parks drifting, on home made tracks was a huge difference to where I was, with outer clipping points, inner clipping points, and zones to drift across. After a fair bit of practice, I managed to qualify 3rd, and eventually finished 4th, due to not being able to make the incredibly long striaght in one drift (whilst trying to follow the guy in front!) 

I got talking to a few people I'd spoken to online, both with MST drifters. One of them had an MS-01D VIP, which felt like a really planted car, really nice to drive, however It drifted just how a normal 4wd drifter would. I then had a go with the FS-01D, which felt like no other drifter I've had a go with. So well planted, I managed a full lap in one continuous drift, transitioning perfectly through every corner. I've had my trusty Cyclone for nearly 2 years, and I thought it was capable. Until now. 

The main reason i've gone with an MST is because it's designed specifically for drifting. Not a touring chassis that has been adapted. They are also a UK company, with excellent customer support, and spares are easily available, and won't take a week to arrive! 

The only bad thing is; I'm actually picking the chassis up on the 13th September, which is going to be one hell of a wait! :(

So, the FS itself: Every option part fitted, never ran. VIP yo? 

1147953_156120201248170_832251771_n.jpg?

Edited by willashcroft

13th of September! That's a long time to wait.. must be a good deal

I've always wanted to try the FS-01 out, maybe next after my MS-01D pro, gonna be while tho as I'm loving my MS atm :D

Good luck with it! ...When you get it xD

13th of September! That's a long time to wait.. must be a good deal

I've always wanted to try the FS-01 out, maybe next after my MS-01D pro, gonna be while tho as I'm loving my MS atm :D

Good luck with it! ...When you get it xD

Incredibly good deal, I've been ordering things for it already!  :sweeeet:

The best thing is that it has every part on it that I would have bought anyway, I just need to get my electronics in it, get it running okay, and drift it at Players car show (Indoor RC drifting stand!) the sunday after getting it. Can't wait! 

f8ck me thats a long wait. I ran mine again after 2 weeks of it being in bits and boy did I miss it. The only advise I give you is make a note of your settings before you change ANYTHING. Unlike the MS, the FS is quicker to punish you if you tune it incorrectly. It will still drift but life gets harder quicker.

Enjoy it man, I don't think I could still give my FS up.

Out of the box, they are great. The thing was like butter when I got it. Just so smooth it was great and still is.

I'll be joining ya and competing in the winter series so should be good fun. The FS is still rare these days. Most people run the MS or the XXX so think ours is the most special. Mine is one part away from VIP. Just need the alu shock tower caps for the bottom but being lazy.

Out of the box, they are great. The thing was like butter when I got it. Just so smooth it was great and still is. I'll be joining ya and competing in the winter series so should be good fun. The FS is still rare these days. Most people run the MS or the XXX so think ours is the most special. Mine is one part away from VIP. Just need the alu shock tower caps for the bottom but being lazy.

I think they are completely different in terms of handling, the weight distribution is most like the full size counterpart, with the motor being so up front. Transitioning wise, it's amazing how well you can flick the back end round with so little effort, and put it where you want in the apexes.

• 4 weeks later...

Haha have fun taking the WHOLE front end apart. SUCH a ballache working on the chassis especially when work is needed doing at the front.

Come to think about it, ive done it so many times, it takes me no time. The trick is taking off the left bulkhead only. :)

Haha have fun taking the WHOLE front end apart. SUCH a ballache working on the chassis especially when work is needed doing at the front.

Come to think about it, ive done it so many times, it takes me no time. The trick is taking off the left bulkhead only. :)

I was hoping to not have to not take the front end apart, but as it comes with 2.0cs, I doubt I'd be doing much drifting! Going to stick with 1.5 for now.

I was hoping to not have to not take the front end apart, but as it comes with 2.0cs, I doubt I'd be doing much drifting! Going to stick with 1.5 for now.

its weird since when you run it, you will notice what I did, it feels like once step up from whatever cs you run.

I'm running 1.6 and when you look at the angle it comes out with, it looks more like 1.8. I can twin easier with rwd and 2.0 users. 1.6 runners tend to be able to power out of coneys far too quickly so be interesting to see how you get on once you get running.

If you ready by the 28th sept, MST are having their own comp! :-)

its weird since when you run it, you will notice what I did, it feels like once step up from whatever cs you run.

I'm running 1.6 and when you look at the angle it comes out with, it looks more like 1.8. I can twin easier with rwd and 2.0 users. 1.6 runners tend to be able to power out of coneys far too quickly so be interesting to see how you get on once you get running.

If you ready by the 28th sept, MST are having their own comp! :-)

I'm completely new to cs, always ready 50/50 :o And I'm having to build it up by Sunday! On A drifting stand at players! :o

Oh yes! By far the nicest handling chassis I've driven! I'll try and get some footage of it, ive found that the 1.5cs is just about perfect, but I may have to try other settings.

Sorry I didn't bother with Players. I got up late and then got even lazier. >_< Go 1.6, its perfect for the FS. :) Saves you getting new belts too. :) How did you do?

I want to try out 1.8 but still a lot of work to do on the chassis and setup first.

Ah, no worries, aha. I spent most of the day getting used to the chassis, It's literally a dream to drive, I attempted to drive it on 2.0CS, and I couldn't even manage a full lap :lol: And I'd bought a 13t front pulley already, so I just fitted 1.5 and ran that all day. It may have been a little better on 1.6CS come to think of it, but Pulling off long smooth corners with opposite lock on all the way round felt so smooth! Can't wait to get some more use out of it and get more to grips with it :D 

Ah, no worries, aha. I spent most of the day getting used to the chassis, It's literally a dream to drive, I attempted to drive it on 2.0CS, and I couldn't even manage a full lap :lol: And I'd bought a 13t front pulley already, so I just fitted 1.5 and ran that all day. It may have been a little better on 1.6CS come to think of it, but Pulling off long smooth corners with opposite lock on all the way round felt so smooth! Can't wait to get some more use out of it and get more to grips with it :D

Well get yourself down to Soul RC at some point man! Its just out of this world. ^_^

Give me enough notice and ill bring the team down too :)