• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Reely P190 Nitro to Electric Conversion on a Shoestring!

CurtisRider

Hello, i have just recently joined this site after browsing some other forums and realising this is probably the best! I bought two cars off ebay recently, a Reely P190 and as Kyosho Alpha Pureten for

Ha ha cheers man! Being tight has actually made this far more interesting a project, i am looking at building my own ESC soon (uni supply most components that i need) which will be interesting (uses the guts of a servo and some mosfets).

Mate gave me a better servo today (i owe him a pint), its got metal gears and is tons faster than my previous one! I really want to sort the steering out, i want it to turn more so i will try and figure that one out soon...

Cheers Dom :)

a few changes...the drill switch was dropped as i wanted variable speed rather than on/off that it offered. I built my own ESC using a dead servos main board, mosfet, diode and capacitor. It works but its soft on giving the power and wont give me all of it (its got 30amps to play with so i dont think its underpowering it so it must be some sort of ineffciency with the particular mosfet i am using). I want to try and figure it out as i have an rc plane that i used to fly back when i was younger that needs all the guts in it. Luckily EBO on here is donating me a proper ESC for my car to tide me by til i can get an upgraded system later on :) Absolute legend!

Seeing as the only time i get to use the car is night time, i figured some lights would be a good plan as the car park that i use is a bit dimly lit in areas. There is 2x5mm leds on the headlights, 2x8mm leds on the fogs and 2x3mm leds out back. All the leds are currently powered by 3xaa cells, although they will be hooked up to the 7.2v battery later on once i have sorted the wiring to the new ESC and incorporated a switch

P2282252.jpg

P2282253.jpg

P2282257.jpg

P2282264.jpg

P2282263.jpg

The photos highlight how desperately i need a larger offset on my wheels... all in good time though!

Looks swish, very origional. nice job on the ESC too, any pics of it?

also, you got light buckets in there? if not, bodge some up out of ducktape or somthing, should elminate that underglow neon effect - unless you want that. :thumbsup:

Edited by Cheese85

Cheers man, i shall get some photos of the ESC later for you :) I havent got light buckets no, i didnt even know what they were til i just looked it up! i shall shove some tape over them next time the shell is off!

Photos as requested:

P3012277.jpg

P3012279.jpg

Seeing as i can't afford spare battery packs yet and would rather save for a fast charger first, i figured building up the drill batteries into NiCad packs would give me a few more minutes running time! I have only built one so far (i need some more tamiya connectors) but i have enough batteries to build at least 2 more (havent tested all the cells yet) and i also have an 18v 2600mah makita battery pack kicking about at home thats spare so thats another 2 batteries :D free stuff, awww yeahhhh!

P3012272.jpg

P3012276.jpg

The one thing i have bought though is wheels, mainly cos i didnt see any 9mm offset secondhand ones with drift tyres around

P3012281.jpg

P3012283.jpg

P3012282.jpg

Rears need a washer or 2 to space them. Not the prettiest wheels i know but they were at a bargain price so im not grumbling.

Lastly, a massive thanks to EBO on here who kindly donated me a ESC! My car has lost rather alot of weight now haha. Just need to get myself some bullet connectors for my motor and the car is ready to go again! I cant wait to play :)

Cheers dude :) I will try and get a vid soon, although seeing as i am new to all this i am shockingly bad haha

Now checking some individual cells from some other drill packs to see if they are any good, should have them made up soon :) then i definately need a fast charger haha