• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

GUIDE - How to start your nitro rc car easliy

cuzza2k8

Hi, this is my first guide and hopefully it will help you start you nitro rc car.

This is how i start my car with ease first time.

First - Check your fuel and Priming

The next thing i do is check my fuel tank has fuel inside it, if it hasnt refill it.

DSC_0033.jpg

Once you have refilled your fuel tank with fuel, you then prime your engine which makes the fuel come throught the pipes into the carb. To prime an engine put your finger over the exhaust pipe and pull the pull start untill you can see the fuel just outside of the carb.

DSC_0034.jpg

This will ensure fuel will get to the engine when you start the car. If you do this too much and find you engine is flooded ( pull start jammed ) then take out your glow plug and turn the car upside down and give the pull start a few tugs untill no more nitro is coming out the engine. Then install your glow plug back into the engine with the wrench and start your car again. There is no need to re prime your engine as it will have enough fuel it now.

Second - Heating up the engine

The last thing i do to ensure my car will start first pull is to heat up the engine with a ahair dryer, this will bring the engine temp up therefore much easier to start. Once you have heated up your engine witha a hairdryer start you car outside in the garden and get it up to its normal running temprature. Now once you have done this stop your engine turn the electrics off and put a sock over the cylinder head, this will keep the heat on the engine so it is easier to start at the park.

Third - Checking your glow plugs

Ok now if the above do not work, then it is possible that your glow plug may be dead or your glow starter isnt charged.

DSC_0035.jpg

To check this get a wrench and take the glow plug from the engine, once it is removed plug the glow plug into the glow starter and if it doesnt glow up the glow plug i possibly dead.

DSC_0036.jpg

To make sure its your glow plug and not your glow starter take another glow plug and plug it into the glow starter, if the new glow plug still doesnt work this means you either havnt charged up your glow starter properly or its dead, but if the glow plug does light up that means that your original glow plug is dead.

DSC_0037.jpg

Hope this helps :P Also this works for me even in the freezing cold. Also this is my first guide/tutorial so any tips would be nice

Thanks

Edited by cuzza2k8
  • Like 1

Good little guide there although there is no need to check your plug before you try and start it.

Best do the other 2 things you said and try and start it in your garden.

If it doesnt start THEN check the plug :)

Also, if you flood an engine, once you have removed excess fuel from the engine you do not need to prime it again.

There will be plenty of fuel in the engine for starting it ;)

Good idea about the sock, I think I will do this next time I take mine out for a bashing.

Edited by revorocks

• 1 month later...

err how do you stop the engine? lol

im gnna start my nitro for the first time, gnna follow what u have said but i dnno how to stop it?

also how do i charge my glow starter, i have the starter, a charger but i cant see anywhere on my starter to put the plug into!?!?

err how do you stop the engine? lol

im gnna start my nitro for the first time, gnna follow what u have said but i dnno how to stop it?

also how do i charge my glow starter, i have the starter, a charger but i cant see anywhere on my starter to put the plug into!?!?

You can cover the exhaust (with a thick rag or tea towel) or pinch the fuel line that goes to the carb.

You put the end of the charger into the end of the starter where you attach it to the glow plug

• 2 weeks later...
You can cover the exhaust (with a thick rag or tea towel) or pinch the fuel line that goes to the carb.

You put the end of the charger into the end of the starter where you attach it to the glow plug

I've always just used my finger over the exhaust. Never been burnt, but I am made of Adamantine...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
i thought it could damage the engine of you blocked the exhaust.i use a small plastic wedge to jam the flywheel. is not a good way.

Hi all, new as well, ..

Does it actually damage the engine .. to block the exhaust?

One more question?

I just got a voltage and intensity tester for like 10$ or less..

Can I use it to check the actual charge of my glow starter?

Which numbers should I expect?

Thanks

F

Cheers,

been reading a bit.

It is a two strokes engine with oil in the gas suff.

Indeed the nitro stuff is adsorbing water; bad for the engine.

Stop it the way you preffer but take care about the next step.

soon

F

Yep,

Two engines:

GX12 from an old Kyosho machine.. with kick start.. the one you have to pull.

RBconcept X12, using a starter machine..

The GX12 runs like an angel. Kick start, glow stuff, temperature. Forget about:

It runs. I got troubles with the pipe line. Checking it.

The RB one needs patients. The guide above gives you hints.

Do not check 3 times your plug and your plug heater.

Also forgive a bit the standard guide. Just patient.

In my case, when I thought I give up, the engine started.

Very nicely, nice sound.

Really use this guide as a main concept. But run your car.

Cheers

F

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great guide there m8,

but that is why i moved away from nitros i had a hell of time starting them all the time,

in the end i could have had a world record for how many glow plugs i went through in my time with nitro models lol,

Well done tho on the guide :good:

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

very helpful guide, i wished ide read it 6months ago lol, all very helpful tips just dont try a heat gun to heat the engine like i did, can you guess what happened, thats right the pullstart string melted and popped back inside the pullstart casing, i am using the same pull starter after i repaired it.

• 2 years later...

Hi, this is my first guide and hopefully it will help you start you nitro rc car.

This is how i start my car with ease first time.

First - Check your fuel and Priming

The next thing i do is check my fuel tank has fuel inside it, if it hasnt refill it.

DSC_0033.jpg

Once you have refilled your fuel tank with fuel, you then prime your engine which makes the fuel come throught the pipes into the carb. To prime an engine put your finger over the exhaust pipe and pull the pull start untill you can see the fuel just outside of the carb.

DSC_0034.jpg

This will ensure fuel will get to the engine when you start the car. If you do this too much and find you engine is flooded ( pull start jammed ) then take out your glow plug and turn the car upside down and give the pull start a few tugs untill no more nitro is coming out the engine. Then install your glow plug back into the engine with the wrench and start your car again. There is no need to re prime your engine as it will have enough fuel it now.

Second - Heating up the engine

The last thing i do to ensure my car will start first pull is to heat up the engine with a ahair dryer, this will bring the engine temp up therefore much easier to start. Once you have heated up your engine witha a hairdryer start you car outside in the garden and get it up to its normal running temprature. Now once you have done this stop your engine turn the electrics off and put a sock over the cylinder head, this will keep the heat on the engine so it is easier to start at the park.

Third - Checking your glow plugs

Ok now if the above do not work, then it is possible that your glow plug may be dead or your glow starter isnt charged.

DSC_0035.jpg

To check this get a wrench and take the glow plug from the engine, once it is removed plug the glow plug into the glow starter and if it doesnt glow up the glow plug i possibly dead.

DSC_0036.jpg

To make sure its your glow plug and not your glow starter take another glow plug and plug it into the glow starter, if the new glow plug still doesnt work this means you either havnt charged up your glow starter properly or its dead, but if the glow plug does light up that means that your original glow plug is dead.

DSC_0037.jpg

Hope this helps tongue.gif Also this works for me even in the freezing cold. Also this is my first guide/tutorial so any tips would be nice

Thanks

Good little guide there although there is no need to check your plug before you try and start it.

Best do the other 2 things you said and try and start it in your garden.

If it doesnt start THEN check the plug smile.gif

Also, if you flood an engine, once you have removed excess fuel from the engine you do not need to prime it again.

There will be plenty of fuel in the engine for starting it wink.gif

Good idea about the sock, I think I will do this next time I take mine out for a bashing.

I've always just used my finger over the exhaust. Never been burnt, but I am made of Adamantine...

help needed

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, after much anticipation at starting my spanking new HPI buggy, I've spent a highly frustrating afternoon today trying to get the bugger started. Have watched so many videos on possible causes that I'm tempted to stick the bloody thing on eBay! There was no doubt a fair bit of engine flooding going on but even when I'd done all the necessary things to rectify that still no joy. Will persevere and hopefully get the blasted thing going soon, will try the hairdryer trick next time and see.

• 4 weeks later...

the way i prime mine is to take the pipe from the exhaust and blow down that until the fuel gets to the engine. much easier than finger over the exhaust.

Me too, I start my st-1 after it's sat for ages with this method, always works.

Well, after much anticipation at starting my spanking new HPI buggy, I've spent a highly frustrating afternoon today trying to get the bugger started. Have watched so many videos on possible causes that I'm tempted to stick the bloody thing on eBay! There was no doubt a fair bit of engine flooding going on but even when I'd done all the necessary things to rectify that still no joy. Will persevere and hopefully get the blasted thing going soon, will try the hairdryer trick next time and see.

Here is my procedure:

Fill with fuel,

Remove tube to exhaust,

Remove glow plug,

Open throttle manually,

Blow down tube,

Pull starter a few times,

Check fuel us in the bore, (very important as gunked fuel blocks the carb, no fuel, no start.)

Replace Glow plug,

Put fully charged glow starter on.

Pull pull-starter.

Warm engine up leaving on glow starter for a few seconds.

This is my method, I leave my car for months at a time, I do this & in minutes it'll be running.

Always important to check carb settings too.

• Like 1