• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Monster truck for 6 year old boy

covert

What size of 'monster truck' are you looking for?

The ion Mt will fit in the palm of your hand as it's only 1/18th (ok a little bigger but not much). I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, but if you are after small scale, I would point you in the direction of the losi 1/18ths if that is the case. My kid started out with a mini DT here:  http://www.modelsport.co.uk/losi-mini-desert-truck-blue-/rc-car-products/31323

If he actually wants a bigger monster, I bought my kid a Tamiya XB monster truck, which although more a toy grade than hobby grade, it has the wow factor in that it has big wheels, big shell and looks awesome. It lasted over a year and then I moved him onto  Stampede, which suited him perfectly.

Edited by MrPug

Don't forget to tell them to budget for a decent charger and (depending what you go for) a decent battery pack.

6 yearolds don't tend to be very patient waiting hours on the bundled RTR trickle chargers and some included packs only last 10 minutes tops.

Was in a similar position (with a similar budget) earlier this year looking for my youngest. Best thing I could find for the money was the ECX Ruckus, especially as the v2 comes with a 2amp charger and splashproof electronics

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/autoonline/j28electrix/j28_vehicles/j28-ecx2000seu/j28-ruckus.html

But for a style of rc that used to be universal, there doesn't seem to be many about nowadays.

The best answer is the Traxxas Stampede but it's way over priced these days (probably because there aren't many alternatives).

Other options are the Maverick MT (but build quality seems to be a bit random) or FTX Carnage (but it's more truggy than monster truck).

I got a FTX Carnage for my lad who was 6 when we got it, he loves it and it has taken quite a bashing as he has to drive it! He's run it on Tarmac, grass and also on the beach.

Only problem he had was speed controller caught fire first outing mind was in wettish grass ( but supplying shop just swapped it over no questions)

1800 battery pack lasts 15 mins sometimes a bit longer!

He also uses a Axial AX10 Scorpion goes anywhere and get bout an hour out of the 1800 battery.

• 3 months later...