• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Computer Problem

timaaay

I dont consider myself to be a compete computer nub, but this one has stumped me and I need to sort it as soon as I can.

Basicly, I can't get my desktop to boot up. It just powers up for a few seconds then turns itself back off. About one time in twenty it decides to stay on and boot up as normal, at which point I can do everything until it just cuts out. This can happen at any time. I've reset the BIOS to factory, removed the battery and moved the CMOS jumper over to clear it, no difference. I managed to check the temperatures through BIOS the last time I got it to boot up, they were fine.

Removed/ swapped:

Graphics card

Hard drive

Ram

PSU.

It did this few months ago but I cant remember how I sorted it.

Am I right in thinking the motherboard has gone? Could it be anything else?

Edited by timaaay

Normaly its the cpu causing that. I have had a few of my computers die the same way. it gets to a cirtain point and because the cpu is folting its overheating and turning itself off.

but alas I have also had this happen when the motherboard has started folting out.

But in my opinion if its one or the other both need changing.

Get a new CPU and motherboared.

If you have anouther rig that you can disect. start swaping parts out 1 at a time. and see if you can fined out exactly what it is that is going wrong.

Are the components still under anywarrenty or anything?

You can rule out ram. as long as you have the small speaker connected to the motherboared, most motherboards will give you a series of bleeps and they will tell you whats wrong. if if its a newer ASUS motherboared they have a lcd poster on the back or one that sits on the desktop to tell you whats wrong.

1 of my old pc's was havin the same problem. tried changin the cpu and nothin so in the end i just put an old ram stick in the wrong way round and turn it on to find out what would happen, that kinda disapointed me coz all it done was cook 1 small componant with a small poof of smoke

Nope, no other desktop I can use. I'm on an old laptop atm and need to get this sorted so I can do my college work. Dont really have the money for a new CPU

Probably going to order a new motherboard tonight then.

There's no point just randomly replacing the motherboard. It's just as likely, if not more likely, that it's a RAM or CPU problem. People have just said "it's the motherboard" because they happen to have had that problem themselves but you've told them nothing which should make them think that it's a motherboard issue.

Remove 1 RAM stick at a time and see what happens.

If you're getting the same problem with each individual RAM stick go into the BIOS settings (press F10 or DEL at boot) and undervolt & declock the CPU slightly. If it works with now then the CPU is the problem.

If you can get your PC to start then run a blend test on Prime95 to check if it's a CPU problem and Ramtest to check the RAM.

Edited by Samari

id head my bet its a dodgy ram stick. I had that with my gaming pc, and i put it down do my graphics card as it kept causing graphical glitches when playing games, so i got a replacement card :whistling: BFG kindly sent me there top card as a replacement :lol: and it still happend. So i tried removing ram sticks and bobs your uncle it worked ^_^ still i prefer the way i did it as i got a

id head my bet its a dodgy ram stick. I had that with my gaming pc, and i put it down do my graphics card as it kept causing graphical glitches when playing games, so i got a replacement card :whistling: BFG kindly sent me there top card as a replacement :lol: and it still happend. So i tried removing ram sticks and bobs your uncle it worked ^_^ still i prefer the way i did it as i got a

you say youve swaped ram.. but maybe both are iffy? or maybe ones been a dud for a while.

it could be a problem with the boot sequence. If you have a windows disk you can pop it in and it has a repair function that will check the boot.

You could always download linux or something free, if that boots then its not a hardware issue. You can even install it to a usb device so theres no chance of lossing anything :)

Spent half an hour talking to Zakkieboy on chat. Been through everything, running the mobo on its own outside the case , reseating the cpu.

Long story short, turns out the power switch on my case is faulty :rolleyes:

Cheers for all the replies though. :good:

Spent half an hour talking to Zakkieboy on chat. Been through everything, running the mobo on its own outside the case , reseating the cpu.

Long story short, turns out the power switch on my case is faulty :rolleyes:

Cheers for all the replies though. :good:

LMAO all that trouble down to the cheapest component on the pc:rofl: ahwell atleast you know now:)probably a good thing you didnt order that new mobo then:)