• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-hard-differential-gear-set/rc-car-products/32854

hardened gears are used in the vorza flux which is 6s -

Not run above 4s myself but others in this thread have used 5s

5 is optimum in my opinion , 6 is just too twitchy :yes: 

Hi all, just a quick question. Does anyone know if the stock diffs in an old hot bodies nitro lightning buggy have hardened gears? They are what the trophy buggies are based on. I have heard the lightning stadium has the hardened stuff, but dont know about the buggies. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Does anyone run the trophy truggy on 6s? If I get the hardened diff gears will it hold up running on 6s?

In all honesty it's not really that well built enough to take a 6s beating that's not saying you can't.. It does break a hell of a lot quicker and maintenance becomes almost every other outing if not every .. 

I ran with a 2200kv motor and just went with the 4s in the end and to me that was where i found it to be its happiest with the odd 5s here and there 

Well that's another ex servo..

Managed to kill the stock TTF servo today, it may have been water damage as I ran it the other day in a lot of water and same today without waterproofing it (planned to run till dead and replace with waterproof anyway - servo started getting slower and slower especially turning left then died completely.

So far the little savage xs is the only one of the three that has had nothing at all happen, I am starting to think you could run a road roller over that thing and still drive it after!

Oh yes, question time..

As said above I have been running in water, and clearly the tires have got wet inside and so unbalanced it very nearly turned the thing over at near full speed.

I was at the park  a mile and half from home, yet again I got there leaving the tx's on the table at home so four and half miles cycled and no tools with me except a small jewellers screwdriver. So I figured the wheels on this thing spin faster than my auto washing machine on spin so I poked a hole in the tyre and spun it up to full speed, water spraying out everywhere and then no more shaking like a s*****g dog - much more gudder to drive.

Is this an acceptable bodge to get water out of the tyres or am I creating a problem down the line?

Pre soaking they were not that bad balance wise.. at full speed very little vibration at all. Today I thought the entire front end was going to fly off! I think the truggy wheels will fit in my prop balancer, the MT4 ones might be just too wide will have to see..

So punching an actual hole in the tire is OK.. My screwdriver made a hole but it was not a whole hole if you see what I mean, it closes up when driver pulled out

OK in the interest of preventing any other numpties out there making the same mistake..

I made a series of holes in the tire all the way round, 6 holes in each tire, figuring this would be sufficient to allow the water to be forced out under centrifugal force with the throttle hard on. It worked fantastically, a surprisingly large quantity of water ejaculated at speed, after a 30 second or so run all vibration stopped and running smoooooth - A job well done :)

That is of course until I looked up and saw the two lovely dirty splatter lines across the bathroom ceiling, it would seem that dirty water ejecting from a small hole at 40mph has more than enough kinetic energy to overcome gravity for well over 8 feet and thus it came to rest when it hit the ceiling!

If you are new to the game then Do not, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to spin dry your tyres over the bath!!!

Oh and the dead servo kills the RX, just fired in a pack to dry the wheels and nothing at all, no lights on the esc, nothing after the beeps.. opened up the rx box and yanked the servo and throttle working fine - nearly had a heart attack when it was dead!

Took the truggy out for its maiden voyage tonight. Well impressed on 4s flipped it a couple of times and had a right laugh

49FCE724-D87E-4DF1-AF22-483E6507BA52_zps

886BAA29-2259-4EE6-A513-56F25104635B_zps

Note no servo saver in the pics that turned up today.

A big thank you to deafty for all your help and advice top bloke thanks

OK in the interest of preventing any other numpties out there making the same mistake..

I made a series of holes in the tire all the way round, 6 holes in each tire, figuring this would be sufficient to allow the water to be forced out under centrifugal force with the throttle hard on. It worked fantastically, a surprisingly large quantity of water ejaculated at speed, after a 30 second or so run all vibration stopped and running smoooooth - A job well done :)

That is of course until I looked up and saw the two lovely dirty splatter lines across the bathroom ceiling, it would seem that dirty water ejecting from a small hole at 40mph has more than enough kinetic energy to overcome gravity for well over 8 feet and thus it came to rest when it hit the ceiling!

If you are new to the game then Do not, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to spin dry your tyres over the bath!!!

Oh and the dead servo kills the RX, just fired in a pack to dry the wheels and nothing at all, no lights on the esc, nothing after the beeps.. opened up the rx box and yanked the servo and throttle working fine - nearly had a heart attack when it was dead!

That's funny, Im sure you use certain words to get us thinking different things though  :yes: ....maybe it's just me being a typical man hey lol

Should have a running video in a few days hopefully

@Peaky.

Glad I could help source some parts for you.

What motor is that?  How does she perform?  I don't wanna say the wrong thing here but she looks a bit skinny.  Hows the torque and what gearing you using?  Is that stock position for the servo (flux) or..

NB:// your front brace is missing in the pic too,  most of us do a centre brace as well (see a page or 3 ago ;) ).

Didn't know you were going with alloy arms.  You may need to go M4 bolts in the diff housing if you keep em on.

Deafty here's some updated pics

A5FDAB22-150D-4AF7-9058-CEAF131CC742_zps

335A54CE-F0B4-440A-94F7-D972136DA123_zps

With new servo saver that didn't turn up till yesterday. The motor is a leopard 1900kv and it is great fun on Tarmac it wheelies everywhere and on our dusty yard at work it's like driving a drift car it's the best thing I have built in a long while. So far it's only had two short outings I'm yet to really put it through its paces but so far so good. It's on a stock spur and a 19t pinion and the temps seem fine. I have destroyed a set of tyres already though but I knew they were on the way out so have got 4 more sets at home to go at.

Put in flysky radio and Savox SW0231MG waterproof servo today. The servo was a tad tall, packed under it with some spacers but the linkage was real close to the case top a couple of mm taller and it would have bound!

Preformed quite well though, not entirely happy it does not seem to centre properly when stationary but did not seem to make any difference running so will see what happens. It must have a bit more throw than the stock servo too, at full lock something was clanking badly so had to drop the endpoints to 75% ish to stop it, unless the bundled tx had already had end points adjusted of course..

The Flysky GT3C was pretty good, a guy stopped asked how far it can go before losing control so drove it a good 200m with no loss of control but could not tell what direction it was pointing without it moving - when I got it back the antenna was still folded down on the TX!

Put 4 packs through it today and three through the Savage XS, nearly 4 hours of driving :D

Muggles, you gotta love em :D

Was at the park at the end of the street this afternoon with The Savage XS and the Trophy Truggy, Savage did not get a run today because it was bloody freezing. Anyway, a group of 4 muggles come walking into the park and stand watching the truggy flying about like a thing possessed doing little jumps and wheelies etc After about 10 minutes watching they walk over to me and strike up a conversation..

One of them asks if I want to sell it as they are looking for a birthday present for the wean for tomorrow. I said no sorry I don't I have only just bought it a couple of weeks ago. So next question is where did you get it.. I told them from the local model shop just before they closed down but you can pick them up on the internet for about

Edited by Louise-Paisley
  • Like 3

I had a similar experience when out bashing with my brushless summit, when I told them how much I spent they called me a idiot and said they got a real car that cost less.

I learned its best to keep moving and stay away from people when out bashing so people can't come up to ask questions.

In all fairness to the general public everyone else who has come to ask about them has been of reasonable intelligence and genuinely interested in the things, not from a "I want one" perspective but interested in how they work, how fast they go etc etc. One guy on Tuesday was extremely interested and I think wanting to get one - Unfortunately I only had the MT4 and savage xs with me and the ESC on the MT4 went belly up, he had a go with the Savage but really wanted to see the MT4 in action, bigger and less toy like I guess, so he said he will catch me another day and see what its like.

This group today I would say fall into the "educationally subnormal group" if you see what I mean :D I have not really got a problem with idiots as such, just I would sooner they kept to themselves :D

• Like 1

Broke suspension holder again, that's twice same holder, same side grrrr last time I put the +1 spare in and ordered a pack so had one to replace it ready.

Also broke front bumper :( new set ordered. It just does not seem to like hitting curb stones at speed for some odd reason.

On the plus side, I fitted the fatshark attutude FPV system and had a run up the street with it, works quite well and better range with the clover leaf antenna sticking out of the roof than when on the Savage XS with it inside the shell. My neighbour stopped for a chat and put the goggles on while I drove it, he thought it was brilliant :)

Can't wait to get it up the park with the FPV on :D

Been having troubles with the rear wheels on my nitro truggy, turns out the rear diff is bone dry. I've freed it up with some wd40 - should the unit be filled with oil?? Should it have a seal? Or does screwing it to the chassis provide the seal?

Nitro diffs only have a little grease in them as they don't have the same power output as a brushless setup. And mine have no seals in either and mine are full or oil with only I tiny amount if seepage so far.

Well after a lot of testing I had to admit to myself (and my wife :( ) that our truggy truck conversion was a fail. (see some pages back)

With the power of the mamba monster and the shorter width it just rolled far to much, it was no where near as planted as my mates truggy..it was ok on gravel as it could slide more but on grass it spent more time on its roof.

What to do ? 

Well I went the other way and made it even wider than stock, its had a full hours test and its like night and day, suspension is far far better, no more rolling, infact you'd have to push it pretty hard to get it to roll, although I did cartwheel it down the field thanks to my son kicking a football, combined with my bad driving and ended up running over it, resulting in an epic cartwheel. Handling wise, I cant tell any difference between stock and my wider version, maybe on a track I would but for the open area I bash in there was no noticeable difference. Bashed it pretty hard, nothing broke, this thing is pretty bullet proof now, not really any upgrades left to do on it. Made some mud guards for her too, they work surprisingly well, keep a lot of mud off the back arms ect..

Very very pleased, now I have a ton of buggy parts and a Summit shell ready for the bay soon, shame it didn't work but I did learn a lot, expensive as it was..

Gave her a complete clean and a brand new set of front and rear arms, love this truggy..

Truggy wide version

x1ef7q.jpg

Edited by Rixsta