• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

ryt lads been a while since i posted but the buggy was running great then the next day i went to take it out the steerin was of and i switched to a new fuel 18% it takes 15 mins to start and cant tune it atol anyone kno whats up

Edited by conor d

Going to strip all the diffs down in my trophy 4.6 and replace the grease with diff oil

For off road use. Grass and mud and jumping. I think a good combo will be 7000 at from 5000 mid and 3000 rear

I also think that the back shocks feel abit soft even with pre loaders in and think it is bottoming out lol. so was going to get some shock oil but what do i need to buy. Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks liam

Broke my truggy :(

After an argument with a post in morrisons car park truggy 0 - post 1. Broke the front/ rear suspension holder, I stuck in the +1 one from the spares kit for now and thankfully one of the circlips from the rear/ outer hinge pin squeezed on to hold the pin in place.

I have ordered more parts so may swap it out when they come.

While I had the front end off I took the opportunity to replace the bushes in the servo saver/ steering which has taken a lot of slop out, its been on the todo list for days but better things to do like crash it into posts :)

Just exporting a video of the truggy and the mt4 in the car park.. well from the truggy and mt4 as the gopro was strapped to the top of them, will post a link once I get  it on the tube of you but its nowt special..

What are the first mods to do to remove a lot of wobble from the wheels?

replace the bushes in the steering with 10 x 6 x 3 bearings - Just done it and made a LOT of improvement..

My conversion is finally finished yay !!, this is believe it or not, mydoddy's Trophy truggy flux I was lucky enough to purchase from him.

Upgrades before conversion

Motor - Replaced with a HPI tork 2200kv
ESC - Replaced with a Hobbywing 150a 
Servo - Replaced with a Savox 1256 Tg 
17mm conversion all round running cvd's at the front and dogbones on the rear
Innovative alloy diff cups front centre and rear
Harden diff gears in all diff cups 
All steering bushings replaced with bearings
Alloy C Hubs and knuckles up front
Front anti bending rod
Alloy servo horn
Alloy steering assembly
Modified dusty covers
Proline Badlands 3.8 running a 1/2inch off set
Big bore Pulse rear shocks all round
Alloy suspension holders front and rear
Alloy rear knuckles
Custom Chassis brace 

I just love the Traxxas Summit body with roll cage, very tough shell, how hard could it be to mount it on the truggy, easy right, far from it...

First I noticed (well doddy did tbh) that the front and rear arms were looking a little stressed, those arms are just to wide, I needed more strength, plus the Summit body looked daft. So Mydoddy came up with the idea to shorten the width of the truggy, sounds simple in theory until I started to buy the parts, I basically ended up buying the whole front and rear of the trophy buggy, found a good deal and worked out cheaper. My next problem was the shocks, with the arms shorter the shocks just didn't work, I had to use two rear buggy shock towers, found there were no holes for the truggy bumper so had to drill them and mod the front bumper slightly. Once that was all put together I used some wheel extenders to give me some of the width back, with the shorter arms and buggy upper arms, shorter cvd's ect I could instantly tell it was way stronger.

I had a bit of a game mounting the body, I used a mix of angle, brackets, e-revo mounts and summit body posts, what a pain that was..

Anyway, Im really pleased with it how it turned out, it's been a big learning curve.... it handles like a dream too, with what little time I had to test it today, handles much tighter, I thought It may of been top heavy and be prone to rolling but it doesn't, what went from wanting to mount a new body turned into one expensive mod indeed. Its actually lighter now than it was before which was kinda funny, yup I weighed it before...

If I had one little niggle, it would be the body is slightly higher than I wanted but I was governed by the height of the towers...no biggie really.

Just thought Id share it with you guys n gals  :thumbsup: Hope you like it...

Running vid soon ....

6qigiw.jpg

24v5dhe.jpg

jp8oqd.jpg

2z3qwee.jpg
Edited by Rixsta
  • Like 2

That looks fan-****in-tastic mate!!  :sweeeet:

You must be well chuffed with what you've done there! I know I would be!! lol

Thank you, means a lot, yeah I'm over the moon with it.....

replace the bushes in the steering with 10 x 6 x 3 bearings - Just done it and made a LOT of improvement..

Alloy steering assembly helps too  :thumbsup:
Edited by Rixsta

So glad you pulled it off all that doubting now look where your at ... Looks just like i knew it would and has to be a one of a kind now for sure ..Now i can't wait to see it running 

Truly awesome build !!   :thumbsup:

So glad you pulled it off all that doubting now look where your at ... Looks just like i knew it would and has to be a one of a kind now for sure ..Now i can't wait to see it running 

Truly awesome build !!   :thumbsup:

Thank you, couldn't of done it without your advice and yes, I shouldn't doubt myself so much, hope you and your family are well. 

o.O that certainly doesnt look stock... or at least doesnt look like a stock trophy anything lol.

Do you have any info on how much / what mods you did to the dusty shroud?

o.O that certainly doesnt look stock... or at least doesnt look like a stock trophy anything lol.

Do you have any info on how much / what mods you did to the dusty shroud?

Yup, sure is different, kind of a truggy buggy truck...ha.

That dusty cover was already modded when i bought it off Mydoddy, so he's your man to answer that..

Summit shell looks good.

Perhaps it could be called a MDB  ...Monster Doddy Buggy :lol:

how'd ya mount the front mounts?

Hiya mate, I used some brackets from BnQ, the bottom two were bigger upside down L shaped ones and the top ones were...well... this shape L but the other way around

Then I bolted them together, sawed the top off a front Traxxas E-revo mount and screwed that in place using the top brackets, then bent over what was left of the top of the bracket around the mount to make it look better and help the screws hold it down more ..plus it needs to be sloping down a little to give the mount posts a flush fit with the body shell. Then It was just a case of cutting down and sliding the Summit posts into the mount and securing it.. Probably makes no sense at all but it's kinda hard to explain, its solid though and looks better than it sounds haha. To match it up and make it blend in, I just glossed the brackets black with a fine brush...Def more DIY than HPI lol

Edited by Rixsta
  • Like 1

desperate for help!!! No matter what i do i cant seem to get my diff to behave like before! Now the diff fluid keeps leaking out of the screws and if i tighten them up to stop this, the diff binds up! This seems odd as it was fine before 1 particular run on the road lots of wheelies ect. and after that run the diff was locked up. I had before that run never touched the diff so i have no idea why. HELP PLEASE!!! 

thanks

Sounds to me like you didn't refit them them right and it just eat the gears get some new ones and redo the diff from start.. before filling make sure it runs nice and smooth and you can fit it together nice and tight only then once your happy fill it may also need a few extra or a few less shims so add or take away till its smooth but not tight and not loose 

I'll probably get a new set of gears but as I said I hadn't touched the diff at all before it locked up so if anything wasn't fitted right it was by HPI.

I'll probably get a new set of gears but as I said I hadn't touched the diff at all before it locked up so if anything wasn't fitted right it was by HPI.

Sorry i thought you'd replaced the diff grease with oil  ?? . If its just locking up then yes get some new gears the old ones are done.. If your getting new ones look into the hardened ones there only a few pound more and well worth the extra coin..