• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

I'm at work at the mo but I'll snap a pic tomorrow for you. Basically you just need to fit longer screws through the little ball things that the rod pops onto, then capture them with a nut. The extra rear brace will need a photograph to explain.

11 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

They're normally £4.73 + p&p per pair for the standoffs alone.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-shock-stand-off-2pcs-/rc-car-products/381068

I will do my last 2 new pairs + M3 x 25mm bolts (standard are 22mm a bit short)  + nuts + some M3 x 9mm washers so they can't pop off for £9.50 posted incl fees.

Will post pic at request :thumbsup:

yeah we'll do that

15 hours ago, sunny said:

No rush mate whenever you can

Here you go. This is how the extra rear brace is mounted, you just about make out the captured ends too.

20160608_105026_zpspfrscsxi.jpg

I think I stripped my rear diff today, I'll put some hardened gears in there this time.

Edit: a couple of other essential upgrades that I'd forgotten about. I bought the HPI 7075 steering arms after snapping 3 standard ones in the first 3 runs and had zero issues since. I've also just fitted Hot Bodies Lightning Pro 3.5mm rear shocks shafts, no bent shafts since fitting them but it's only been a couple of weeks so time till tell.

Edited by everclear1984
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Here you go. This is how the extra rear brace is mounted, you just about make out the captured ends too.

I think I stripped my rear diff today, I'll put some hardened gears in there this time.

Edit: a couple of other essential upgrades that I'd forgotten about. I bought the HPI 7075 steering arms after snapping 3 standard ones in the first 3 runs and had zero issues since. I've also just fitted Hot Bodies Lightning Pro 3.5mm rear shocks shafts, no bent shafts since fitting them but it's only been a couple of weeks so time till tell.

That extra brace is useless the chassis is meant to flex a little and that brace stops that but more importantly it doesn't reinforce the chassis as that's not the area where the chassis bends. The weak areas are between the front and rear braces around the differential, an end to end brace fixes this.

35 minutes ago, crazyfrog said:

That extra brace is useless the chassis is meant to flex a little and that brace stops that but more importantly it doesn't reinforce the chassis as that's not the area where the chassis bends. The weak areas are between the front and rear braces around the differential, an end to end brace fixes this.

What a load of rubbish. I can tell you from experience that it absolutely is effective. I bent the rear of the chassis several times, straightened it, went out, bent it again. I fitted that brace months ago and I bash it harder now then I ever did before and it's not bent once. The front bent once because the anti bend rod popped off, capturing it has stopped that. I've never had it bend in the middle, if you have then maybe that brace wouldn't work for you but to say it's useless is completely wrong.

1 hour ago, everclear1984 said:

What a load of rubbish. I can tell you from experience that it absolutely is effective. I bent the rear of the chassis several times, straightened it, went out, bent it again. I fitted that brace months ago and I bash it harder now then I ever did before and it's not bent once. The front bent once because the anti bend rod popped off, capturing it has stopped that. I've never had it bend in the middle, if you have then maybe that brace wouldn't work for you but to say it's useless is completely wrong.

lmao like I said thats not the area where trophy buggy chassies bend. Adapting a truggy style brace would be effective as a stronger brace as it wouldnt put as much stress on the plastic tabs that hold the brace.

Truggy owners can do the best mod and I dont think this would work on a trophy buggy flux, only the truggy.

CFC558DB-A0E2-4CBC-876F-CDEDFDF81F43_zps

An end to end brace would also work

6 minutes ago, crazyfrog said:

lmao like I said thats not the area where trophy buggy chassies bend. Adapting a truggy style brace would be effective as a stronger brace as it wouldnt put as much stress on the plastic tabs that hold the brace.

Truggy owners can do the best mod and I dont think this would work on a trophy buggy flux, only the truggy.

CFC558DB-A0E2-4CBC-876F-CDEDFDF81F43_zps

An end to end brace would also work

How can you say that's not where a Trophy Buggy chassis bends when I've just told you mine bent there several times?

I own two trophy flux buggies and recondition non working trophy 3.5s every week, I know where they bend.

if yours is bending in that place you need a different type of brace not two weak ones.

IMG_0034_zps7woy1oiv.jpg

So what you're saying is yours hasn't bent there. Mine has so I did something about it which has worked, without fail, since. Why would I want to fit a different type of brace in place of one that's been proven to work so well for so long?

Someone pointed out that my car takes a beating and asked whether I'd done anything to strengthen it. I answered the question, end of.

43 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

So what you're saying is yours hasn't bent there. Mine has so I did something about it which has worked, without fail, since. Why would I want to fit a different type of brace in place of one that's been proven to work so well for so long?

Someone pointed out that my car takes a beating and asked whether I'd done anything to strengthen it. I answered the question, end of.

I'm saying you're doing it wrong!! Your brace design is weak, cheap and a terrible match for the buggy and I'm going out of my way to discourage anyone from doing it.

From experience none of the dozens of buggies I've fixed and resold have bent chassis there, its always between the front and rear braces. I jump my trophy flux and never had a bend between the rear gearbox and support that wasn't caused by a single weak brace, the plastic tab always breaks first and adding a second brace puts more stress on that weak point.

Edited by crazyfrog
spelling

34 minutes ago, crazyfrog said:

I'm saying you're doing it wrong!! Your brace design is weak, cheap and a terrible match for the buggy and I'm going out of my way to discourage anyone from doing it.

From experience none of the dozens of buggies I've fixed and resold have bent chassis there, its always between the front and rear braces. I jump my trophy flux and never had a bend between the rear gearbox and support that wasn't caused by a single weak brace, the plastic tab always breaks first and adding a second brace puts more stress on that weak point.

I also jump my buggy, as can been seen from the vids I post, one of which resulted in a bent chassis right in front of the rear diff case. That's not the only time it's happened but it's the only one I caught on camera.

All you're doing is stating an opinion based on what you believe will or won't work. I've tried this method myself so what I'm stating is fact based on first hand experience.

I'm done with this conversation. 

Edited by everclear1984

4 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

I also jump my buggy, as can been seen from the vids I post, one of which resulted in a bent chassis right in front of the rear diff case. That's not the only time it's happened but it's the only one I caught on camera.

All you're doing is stating an opinion based on what you believe will or won't work. I've tried this method myself so what I'm stating is fact based on first hand experience.

I'm done with this conversation. 

I'm not stating an opinion I'm stating the facts that you are using the same weak materials with a worse mounting method than stock to those same plastic tabs, which is not a capable method to Brace the car. You should look at mods other people do as your brace mod is poor. 

There is a simple solution as to how you managed to bend your chassis in the way you said you did and that's if the rear brace was simply loose or not connected as a bend in the chassis would simply crack the plastic tabs that hold the rear brace lol.

Edited by crazyfrog
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2016 at 16:55, crazyfrog said:

Who knew that the Hpi trophy originally started as a Chinese clone of the kyosho mp7.5 with all the optional kyosho pats added. 

100_1795.jpg

That's funny, i thought the HPI Trophy platform started as Hot Bodies Lightning

Allan

• Like 1

On 6/10/2016 at 13:13, pug=309 said:

That's funny, i thought the HPI Trophy platform started as Hot Bodies Lightning

Allan

Yup HPI the parent company rebranded the hot bodies lightning 2 to hpi trophy 3.5 and shrunk the engine, its understandable as the D8 is clearly better and the lightning  needed some major changes to make a better car which ended up being the d8.

Here's a pic of the original chinese clone notice the similarities to the kyosho and the differences in the suspension arms. I can assure you the chassis and most parts are the same.

Also notice how the front upper suspension arm brace is metal not plastic :ssh:

Edited by crazyfrog

3 minutes ago, baja5bmad said:

this my new hot bodies with werks b5 engine

Picture0015.jpg

Picture0012.jpg

Picture0016.jpg

Picture0019.jpg

Picture0018.jpg

Looks nice and clean :) For now :lol:

1 hour ago, pug=309 said:

So the trophy is a rebranded clone of a clone of a kyosho...  That's a mouthfull

Allan

Everything is a clone of a clone which is then cloned with a clone for another clone to be cloned and then ooooh they release another clone from a clone of the previous clone that was cloned. Next thing you know the cloners get sued and you can't get the parts to fix your damaged clone that was cloned from a clone by a clone in the first place :doh:

• Like 2

Nice looking buggy.

6 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Everything is a clone of a clone which is then cloned with a clone for another clone to be cloned and then ooooh they release another clone from a clone of the previous clone that was cloned. Next thing you know the cloners get sued and you can't get the parts to fix your damaged clone that was cloned from a clone by a clone in the first place :doh:

Yeah very true

Allan