• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New car

leeski

Hi all im thinking of buying myself and my son a new car each ive already got a stepup stinger brushless but im thinking of getting two traxxas rustlers just brushed for now but wondering can i upgrade these to brushless later and are they any good the brushed versions cheers in advance.

The brushed Rustler is pretty much the same as the VXL version except for the brushless system, so yes you can upgrade to it. However, for the money Traxxas want for it you could also get the following:

Losi Desert Truck (cheaper, great radio)

HPI Firestorm ( just as strong, but better handling)

LRP Blast Truggy (4wd)

Ive seen a few others the thing thats drawing me to the rustler is the waterproof electrics as my lad wants to be out in all weather, also just out of interest on my stinger brushless im just using nimh batteries not lipo will the difference in speed between the two be really noticable as the battery you get with the rustler is bigger than the one with my stinger.seen some videos of the brushed rustler and it doesnt look much slower than my stinger.

The brushed Rustler on 8.4v probably isn't a huge deal slower than the brushless Stinger on 7.2v. However, stick the 8.4V pack in the Stinger (or upgrade to lipos, the effect is similar) and the Stinger will fly past the Rustler.

As mentioned, the Rustler is only waterproof in its stock form. Start upgrading and you lose that. The brushed esc can support better motors than the supplied Titan, but nothing on a par with a good brushless. Getting a waterproof brushless means a Traxxas VXL system (which is severely overpriced as a stand alone system), or going for an Ezrun (splashproof) system and steering round the biggest puddles.

As a result i wouldn't worry too much about the stock esc being waterproof as you'll be changing it pretty soon.

Water proof electrics are less of a requirement on 2 wheel drive as you are unlikely to be doing that sort of offroading.

Most systems dont mind the odd splash of water.

If its chucking rain you are not going to be outside with your RC car.

Being brushless is way more fun than being waterproof. :D

Edited by Dust Cloud