• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder's 1st Baja - Sheila

Thunderwolf

I've heard that about the RPM covers as well, no good with the MSD plug leads.

5T Plug guard all the way, fit it forget it and it's a bloody good handle as well :good:

its a tad ugly to say the least too lol

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so i've put the colour sheme change on hold for abit.

i no longer want this engine i simply don't trust it so if anyone want to buy it from me drop me a pm and we can talk.

so i'm looking at getting a new engine, as its more costly than the colour change i'll prefer to do this first.

question is do i get a 30.5cc engine or go for the higher rpm of a 26cc... time for some research

its tempting.

currently its a 29cc, but with the "porting" job it has and the modded crank i realy have no idea what it is right now, while the head and piston would make it 29cc as stock i don't know if the crank makes it a 30.5 or otherwise, nor do i know what type of porting job has been done, maybe a full mod or somone thought they would go for a diy job and wing it.

th eengine works very well, but when a 26cc stock baja engine with a ss pipe, loaded with much more alloy than my baja and still has better acceleration and top speed while using the less grippy stock rear tyres you begin to question things lol.

for the record i run a rear dom, 9500rpm clutch spring, 18/56 gearing.

which reminds me i can take this moment to replace the bearings in the baja and rebuild the diff....seeing as i will take most of it apart anyway, bearings and diff not touched since buying her :whistling:

which reminds me i can take this moment to replace the bearings in the baja and rebuild the diff....seeing as i will take most of it apart anyway, bearings and diff not touched since buying her :whistling:

This could be the reason you get beaten by a 26cc with an SS pipe. If you've got a dodgy diff and worn bearings, there will be lots of drag in the drivetrain, sapping the power of the motor.

Matt

This could be the reason you get beaten by a 26cc with an SS pipe. If you've got a dodgy diff and worn bearings, there will be lots of drag in the drivetrain, sapping the power of the motor.

Matt

yes indeed, while i'll replace the engine anyway i expect the lack of exhaust bolts also played apart so rather than fix one thing and hoping things get better i think doing most of the things i should have done afew months ago in one go and taking out asmuch slack as i can will be better in the long run as it will also mean i can do other things to the car.

problem with the baja is to get to the diff i have to take apart most of the rear end so while i'm at it i'll be looking at everything thats damaged and putting in afew things while i'm at it, killing multipule birds with 1 stone...

currently its a 29cc, but with the "porting" job it has and the modded crank i realy have no idea what it is right now, while the head and piston would make it 29cc as stock i don't know if the crank makes it a 30.5 or otherwise, nor do i know what type of porting job has been done, maybe a full mod or somone thought they would go for a diy job and wing it.

What's the squish measurment when you put it together ?

Is the head machined for the crank or do you stack gaskets ?

Poor squish ( too big or small ) and the best ported motor won't run for toffee :lol:

What's the squish measurment when you put it together ?

Is the head machined for the crank or do you stack gaskets ?

Poor squish ( too big or small ) and the best ported motor won't run for toffee :lol:

can you dumb that down abit for me mate? :lol:

Squish is, the space left in the head when the piston gets to top dead centre.

The right amount of squish is critical

so

28.5cc Motor is

36mm Bore + 28mm Crank

If you add a +2mm stoker crank, to make it a 30.5cc you need to make more space in the cylinder as the piston will go further up

You can do this by machining some metal out of the head, or adding a thicker 2nd head gasket to raise the head up.

Now, if neither are done properly, it's like the timing being really off in your car and it pinking, but a lot worse.

And you'd be down on power, revs and general grunt over even a stock motor, wether yours is ported or not :lol:

Now that's probably not the problem as I'd like to think the motor is built right, but it could be a cause of low power.

Specially if you don't know the motors history.

i can't be totaly sure, i know the head gasket is one of them green things as i replaced it myself along with the piston ring.

when looking at the insides i don't recard seeing any marks on the top of the combustion camber to indicate any tooling work, i know there was some on the ports but that was it.

i belive i'm the 3rd owner of this engine, god knows what its been through before i got my hands on it.

• 3 weeks later...

finaly gotten around to getting the tyres switched over to the new wheels.

front tyres are in good nick still so no sence changing them yet and the stock front tyres seem ok to me anyway.

the front inner foams on the other hand are another story, they have just fallen apart just by getting the tyres off, granted they have been in there since i bought the car so its no bigger, but its just somthing i need to replace.

rear foams and tyres are all ok so nothing bad there...

also got my new engine paid for, just got to wait for it to arrive.

quick update.

new front foams ordered today, should have them monday, i'll show you lot the wheels then....

also ordered afew more sparkplugs after going through 3 of them last bash (small ramp, large, air, landing on roof)

i got 2 items coming from ddm, should get them by the end of next week.

after i get that lot all i need is for th enegine to get here, and it looks like it will be cutting it very fine for the msuk jam, fingers crossed it get here in time otherwise shiela is staying here :(

well abbots pulled thorugh as always, got some sparkplugs as i know i will break some at the bash, may buy afew more as i broke 3 in the space of an hour last time.

i opted to get hard foams from hostile rc for the front wheels, much like i got in the rear (only these are not belted), much better feal to the tyres now...

100_1412.jpg

i still got afew bits to come yet but th eonly thing i need is the engine, anything els is just a bonus

Edited by Thunderwolf

first time i looked at this thread, seen the first pic and the one above, all i can say is WOW!!!! its amazing, loving the shell and then wheels are awesome, i think blue wheelnuts to match the beadlocks will be cool too :) oh yeah and what about an ali fuel cap?

Edited by RooBoonix

i think blue wheelnuts to match the beadlocks will be cool too :) oh yeah and what about an ali fuel cap?

silver is there for a reason, it part of the colour scheme.

as for the fuel cap....you will have to wait