• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPi Trohpy 3.5 -----> Poor Mans Vorza

toys4x4boys

OK, so the idea is to create a usable, 8th scale, that will be a suitable upgrade for a current Stampede owner.

Not looking for immense speed, just a durable basher with a bit more control for jumping.

How it looked on arrival, a nice clean example, as described by the seller.

asbought.th.jpg

Stripped and Cleaned, well not too clean, it is going to get used !

newwing.th.jpg

Motor Mount, RC Monster designed for a lightning buggy, but it's a good match as expected, minimal shimming required.

motormount.th.jpg

Battery Tray, unknown make, but fits zippy 3s packs nice, and fits the space I had.

1211650.th.jpg

Shell, this is a copy on the Ansmann Virus shell, cheap and cheerful. Out with the liquid mask and airbrush, and an evenings work. Stickered, just enough.

1211631.th.jpg1211636.th.jpg1211641.th.jpg

T-Bone racing bumpers, these are meant for a Vorza, but fit perfect.

1211665.th.jpg1211666.th.jpg

Outside Posing, quite pleased with the look so far.

1211664.th.jpg1211667.th.jpg

Just waiting on motor and ESC arrival now........................come on postie.................

Anything designed for the Lightning will fit the Trophy,its a rebadged Lightning Sport as is the Truggy version,just a rebadged Lightning Stadium Sport,Good solid buggy the Lightning,they had a lot of fans when they were available with a good spares support,i'm sure it'll be ideal for what you want Graeme and the shell looks ace bud...wink.gif

HobbyKing 150a ESC's arrived for both cars, so they are now fitted and the shells persuaded to fit.

I made little flat platforms fo rthe ESC's bolted to the chassis, the ESC's are servo taped and cable tied.

1211678.th.jpg

1211679.th.jpg

Motor arrived for my HotBodies too 2000kv XeRun, still waiting on the Trophy motor 1900kv

1211681.th.jpg

1211680.th.jpg

Need to check gearing, I've got 12t, 13t, 18t mod1 pinions, will just see what temps are like.

you got your ESC;s fast, or had you ordered them a while back?

They went into the HK post on the 25th, arrived yesterday, Hobbyking cheap post :good:

hi mate can you tell me the dimensions for the battery tray cheers.

150mm x 55mm 'ish

Always had leccy's too. Savage, Stampede, Slash, MERV couple of Rock Crawlers

Now a matching pair of 8th scale buggies...............

Remember, he who dies with the most toys, wins ( and also has to be burried in a popers grave, but hey ! )

:rofl:

Always had leccy's too. Savage, Stampede, Slash, MERV couple of Rock Crawlers

Now a matching pair of 8th scale buggies...............

Remember, he who dies with the most toys, wins ( and also has to be burried in a popers grave, but hey ! )

:rofl:

lol yeah, me i think just gonna stick with the marder now. keep that runnin and maybe hop it up. anythin you could suggest i could do to make it better.

lol yeah, me i think just gonna stick with the marder now. keep that runnin and maybe hop it up. anythin you could suggest i could do to make it better.

Buy a baja :rofl:

No in all seriousness the best things to get would be the ally engine mounts, alloy servo saver and the alloy gear carrier. A tuned pipe is another option to let the engine breathe.

Nice job on the conversions Graeme, if you don't mind me asking?... How did you mould the shell over the ESC? Did you just use heat and the push it out with something?

Nice job on the conversions Graeme, if you don't mind me asking?... How did you mould the shell over the ESC? Did you just use heat and the push it out with something?

Cheers Carl, they'll do for us I think, just need to run them, and decide if we need some 4s packs.

For the shells, yes, exactly that, put a heat mat over the ESC, put the shell on, applied the gas soldering iron with diffuesed tip, gentle waring and pressure.

Doesn't take a lot, I used a scrap piece to figure the process out first, how much heat etc, but it really is just warm them.

I did the clear one first and was a bit generous with the heat, so it's a bit funky, the painted one I was more gentle with and it's a better job.

Got a couple of test runs in today.

I've only got 12t, 13t and 18t to choose from, so tried the sacraficial 12t first, as you can imagine it accelerated well, but got up to full revs far too quick.

Was going to try the 13t , but didn't think it would be much different, so went with the 18t.

OK, that's more like it, did half a dozen or so full speed passes, and brought it in, not even warm yet.

Now, where do I go form there, I'd orered 14,15t in to have a choice, but proably should have gone 15,16,17t ?

Oh and all this on a 3s pack.

The concensus of opinion is that 14t should be about right, as I didn't have one I tried the 18t I did have.

And as it ran OK, that's my thinking that I should have bought a range of sizes further up the chart.

I ordered the pinions before running the 18t, I'll probably just order more. Can never have to many options.

I've not run off road yet though, so that will probably all change.

Ran a couple of 3s packs through the HB today, motor not more than warm, ESC cool, Batteries only warm, mostly full throttle speed runs on sand & grass

Sorry for the video quality, only had a phone with me.

Can't wait to see it on the 4s pack mate.

That sure does shift on the 3s so 4s will be :good:

Look forward to seeing it properly at the TM bash