• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

help needed please!

diamond dog

Hi

I could do with some help with my new(ish) Kyosho mp7.5. I have brocken in the engine as advised on the forum without any problems - then tuned the car (HSN first then LSN) and thought I'd got it running sweet.

However, I am now burning out glow plugs on virtually every run - about 10-15 minutes use. The engine seems to be very hot even though I have a nice trail of smoke throughout the rev range. Assuming I was running to lean I reset the engine to factory setting and re-tuned from there trying to stay on the rich side but on the first proper run burnt out the plug again. On inspection the plugs look very black/burnt but the coil is still silver. Any thoughts?

Thanks

PS I'm using os medium plug no.8

If the plugs are black then the engine could be running slightly too rich. If it was running lean the plugs would be grey/white. I would lean the hsn slightly more making sure there is a good trail of smoke.

What fuel % are you using?

Edited by at106

I am using byrons 20% fuel. If I lean the engine more won't it run even hotter - you cannot touch the engine at the end of a 10 minute run at the moment!

It will run hotter do you have a temperature gauge to see how hot it is getting? Also what engine has it got?

I dont have a temp gauge but using the spit test water immediately boils away. The engine is the stock Kyosho GX21. Just as a side point the instructions state a different factory setting to the one in the forum thread - HSN 3 turns out not 4 as the thread states. This problem is getting very expensive - 5 plugs in less than two weekends!!!

I havn't tried a starting point of 4 turns out on the HSN, maybe I will. I wish I knew the settings it came out of the box with as I managed approx 10 tanks of fuel at these settings while breaking in engine and it didn't kill a single plug. I have read on another forum a suggestion of adding a second shim to the plug - does anyone know what this may acheive and is it worth trying? The air filter has been cleaned and oil applied before being put back in (can you use too much oil??)

It's too lean. It should be too hot to touch after 10 minutes, but not burn out plugs.

The LSN sounds too lean, richen the LSN by 1 turn and see if that improves temps. I had the same problem with my TRX 3.3, so has my friend.

It's caused by a very lean LSN ;)

yep the kyosho engines 21 and 28s can pop plugs all day if the lsn isnt set right,as stated richen the lsn,temps should come down and your wallet should get lighter.

ive had both,the 28 i had the lsn flush, even a 16th turn in, blew plugs,hsn after break in should be around 3 turns out not 4,my 28 was 2.5 out .the 21 i had was 3 turns out