• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Monkey's HPI Baja 5B

bodgemonkey

I'll get some photos when my parts arrive :) I always mean to take some snap when i go out but its hard to control and video at the same time :ph34r:

I've been looking at Cabbie's thread in B***, it seems simple enough with the right tools, i just need a bench drill as dad's old one is broken.

I'll get some photos when my parts arrive :) I always mean to take some snap when i go out but its hard to control and video at the same time :ph34r:

I've been looking at Cabbie's thread in B***, it seems simple enough with the right tools, i just need a bench drill as dad's old one is broken.

it really isnt as simple as it looks... you got to get the ports and timing right or its knackered, there's people out there who have 20+ years of experience, a little thread and some tools aint gonna do it :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok had her out today with R46 and Sonik. Had a good 45 mins out of her and the engine decided to seize!

Weird as it was running 25:1 and pretty darn cool, but the bottom end is really ancient so a rebuild is a must!

A picture of it today chilling with the RS4 MT

DSC01739.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

You think the shocks are a bodge?

You ain't seen nothing ;)

They give the rear shocks more stiffness, makes it handle better and makes it not bottom out over big mounds.

Also, my car has cost about 1/5 of yours ;)

Everything except the main chassis is sitting in some dilute oven cleaner :lol:

Rebuilt the diff using some silicone grease, much smoother action now, will get pictures of the de-adonized bits when they come out of their soaking.

Got everything deadonized, most bits bar the chassis have been polished up, will do that tommorow, i left the brace orange because i want something to stand out on the chassis :P

2.4 fitted on, tommorow shall see it as a roller, wednesday i'll polish up the engine.

To polish it i'm using a brush that attaches onto a drill bit with either fine or coarse brushes. Attach drill to vice and wipe it down after :)

Pre polish

IMG_0250.jpg

After polish

31012011196.jpg

Picture doesn't do it justice, will have to take more pics!

Edited by nosmonkey

Got this in the post today courtesy of kieranbolton!

IMG_0258.jpg

Few hours later, some swearing, and a bit of internal crankcase modding (smoothing out the sides, making the ports a bit larger as it still has the Zenoah G23LH bottom end)

Et voila! Tyres complete with mud from the last 3 bashes, cba cleaning them :lol:

IMG_0259.jpg

Had it out idling, loads of compression, idling great, bit rich on the top end for now and it is much louder than the CY 23 head i had before, expect full run tommorow :)

List of bits i'm getting next

- New filter

- Rear springs

- Metal pawl

Just to make it that teeny bit more powerful, and more reliable :)

Edited by nosmonkey