• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

When Should the Clutch Engage

nheather

I've just replaced a troublesome engine on my son's hyper 7. The new one appears to be running more consitently though I haven't got it set right just yet.

One thing that seems odd, but I can't quite remember how it was before.

At what point should the clutch engage. It now needs very high revs to engage, maybe 3/4 throttle - I'm sure before, the buggy would begin to creep forward if I had the idle set a little high.

Wondering whether I've installed the clutch incorrectly.

Cheers,

Nigel

if engine is running rich then clutch enages late as revs are sluggish, could be shoes fitted wrong or clutch shoes are worn.

May be a little rich but it is reving very high when clutch engages.

Clutch is little used so not wear.

This leaves, fitted wrong, which I'm more than happy to beleive, though I've had a look at the instructions and can't see that I've down anything wrong.

I fly Nitro Helicopters and the clutch bell on those has a lining. The clutch bell on the hyper 7 is just metal - is that right?

Cheers,

Nigel

May be a little rich but it is reving very high when clutch engages.

Clutch is little used so not wear.

This leaves, fitted wrong, which I'm more than happy to beleive, though I've had a look at the instructions and can't see that I've down anything wrong.

I fly Nitro Helicopters and the clutch bell on those has a lining. The clutch bell on the hyper 7 is just metal - is that right?

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes mate just plain metal. You havent got the shoes on backwards by any chance have you? if the Clutch Bell was tight (ie dosent spin freely) it should move in lower revs so really thats all i can consider

Edited by nosripper

Clutch bell spins freely - that right isn't it?

I double checked the install direction and it matches the manual.

You may have misread - the clutch isn't engaging until the revs get very high - throttle barrel open over 50%.

Like thye spings are so strong they are stopping the arms from flinging out - but I've looked at the videos and I have the spings installed correctly.

What size springs are fitted to the clutch 0.9mm or 1.2mm etc. As thicker springs need more rpm normaly used to stop engine bog.

No idea what size - they are the ones that come with the Hyper 7.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

If its a standard Hyper then the shoes are normally plastic not metal. Metal is normally an aftermarket fitment so the springs my be thicker ones. My lads Hyper has plastic shoes. Measure the spring thickness I use verniers if you have them.

The simple answer my be the shoes have just worn out.