• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

first rc car

leeski

Hi all after some good advice on here just ordered the stinger brushless just wondering though it comes with pistol grip controller can i change this to a stick type controller as that what i feel more comfortable with and also what run time should i expect from it the battery in the package is only 1800.

With the Stinger Brushless 2000mAh will get you around 10 mins at the most. I'm basing that on the fact that in a five minute race (nearer six with a run down lap) it takes about 1000-1200mAh out of a Lipo pack, but lipos are more efficent than NiMH.

If you want more runtime just buy a few cheap vapex packs (swapping over takes seconds and with practice can be done with the shell on) or if you've got the money to spare a single lipo pack of around 5000mAh and suitable charger.

You can get simple lipo chargers for around £30 - they are a little slow (over 1 hour for a larger sized pack). Fine if you don't mind charging up the night before etc. £50 buys a much faster one that also charges other battery types too.

Lipos themselves start as low as £33 for 3000mAh but for ultimate capacity you want 5000mAh at around £60. And yes, you will have noticed that buying 2x 3000 costs £66 and gives you more capacity still. If you don't mind swapping over packs lots of smaller one is always cheaper.

You can get cheaper Lipos shopping abroad at places like Hobbyking.

Lipo will make your truck run for longer than the equivalent sized NiMH (ie longer run times with 3000mAh lipo than 3000mAh NiMH) because they have a lower internal resistance and hence great efficiency. This also means they make the truck faster too. Unlike NiMH they do not need discharging and can be topped up at any time even if only partly used with no ill effects. Finally they seem to have a longer service like than NiMH's providing more charge/discharge cycles before they stop working.

Yes they cost more - but they are worth it!

Oh runtime - 20-30 mins depends on how you drive etc

Edited by Si Coe

If your just mucking around with it, I personally would just stick with nimh batterys, just get a more jucy one this will give you a lot more run time:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=33811

Or alternatively get 3 of these:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=29046