• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The rascal has landed!

jonesinamillion

Just a quick question,

The four nuts are £3.50.

The OWB is £11

A new pullstart is only £21.

Will the pullstart come with the above included?

Is there likely to be any more bits I'll be missing or just the above?

I might be better of simply buying a ful new pullstart, or even consider rotostart seeing as I've gotta spend anyway?

Edit - rotostart =£20, backplate = £8, could iliminate allot of troubles!

Edited by jonesinamillion

Pull start fell off whilst bashing, lost all four screws and the middle bits; back on the spending confused.gif

On the pluss side, had her running & got her tuned, running ace, VERY fast, got loads of air and a great little (money eating) truck!

Thats the beauty of this hobby, just gives you a reason to upgrade now....

Glad you finally have it tuned, when it was running it was going some!

I managed shred tyre, tear tyre insert, lose bead lock and snap shock absorber biggrin.gif

OWB & screws ordered, rotostart can wait, just want to get her running again!

Anyway, a spot of advise if possibles (rascal owners)...

Got to give her a big clean, I know how to remove all electrics but not too sure on the engine, is it a big job? what do i need to remove? How is it connected to the drive system? Easy (foolproof!) to put back together?

Is it neccesary to remove engine to clean her thouroughly?

Most importantly, I've got no pull start on, just the exposed starter shaft, will I have to keep water well away from this? can I seal it with vasaline for cleaning purposes or wil l this cause problems for the OWB?

I thank you!

To clean mine I unhook steering and throttle links, unscrew and lift radio tray out. Engine, undo four bolts that go through chassis, lift out. Clean car, clean engine making sure you don't get water in it, dry everything off and stick back together, the mesh will need to be checked when putting engine in but other than that it should be straight forward. Just make sure you take the engine out first otherwise its a prob accessing one of the screws that hold the radio tray in place. When rebuilding, put the engine in last so you can get radio tray mounted ;)

Cheers Alex, only a 5 min job eh, took me 3 hrs to strip clean & rebuild biggrin.gif

What's this ""mesh you speak of?

A few snaps...

Filthy, stripped & cleaned then re-built.

001.jpg

002-2.jpg

003.jpg

And lastly this, saw some shrapnell in my fuel tank, loos like some kind of broken washer / flange. Has a bit of a lip on the inside and a few lines scored on it. Tank seems to hold pressure still but I haven't had time to run it yet. Any ideas what it might be?

004.jpg

PS - OWB landed so should be back working good.gif

Washer has come off the fuel tank lid, seems a common fault on the Rascal, you can call Schumacher and explain the issue and they will most likley ask you to send tank back for inspection and send you a new one. They did this for me in a couple of days. To be honest the best thing to do is run it a few times and see if performance or the tank seal are affected, most likely it will be fine and nothing to worry about.

tank-.jpg

tank.jpg

Mesh - meshing the clutchbell and spur gear so there is enough room to pass a piece of paper between the two without ripping it, if its bad you risk stripping your spur gear but its not a huge issue on the Rascal as it is fairly plug and play mount wise ;)

Looks nice and shiny, get back out there and get it dirty ;)

Edited by a-x-l-e

Yep same washer floating in my tank too - like I say, it seems to hold a seal, did you run yours without?

I can't see as it makes much diference but it must be there for a reason?

Not getting her dirty again, took too long to clean and I like her all shiny, she's not a dirty girl biggrin.gif

I don't think it made much difference if any, the Rascal seemed to perform as expected and held its tune, if the O-rings start coming away that might be a problem but you can probably still get it replaced, mine was second hand and they did it no questions asked ;)

jonesinamillion,

wow it took me ages to read to page 6!....looks like you had lots of learning and fun time with your nitro!

hope things goes well.

btw, keep pull starter as it will save u cash and less hassle too. rotor start u need to carry starter gun or home drill plus u need to be sure they are charged, spare batts etc. its such a hassle if for example u r in a park and ur buggy goes 100m away and if engine cuts out u need to get back to your drill/starter gun to start it up again!

once u get used to pull starter it will be a piece of cake to start! for new engines it will be tight, but soon will loosen up. Tip - stabilizing the buggy when starting..... on the floor, have the buggy face left of u with pull starter in front of u, put ur right foot on the rear left wheel, left hand on TX, blipping slightly and put short fast burst pulls(only a few inches of pull).

Have fun!:rolleyes:

Edited by mikeswrx02

Oh yes, steep learning curve indeed, and still lots to learn!

She's ace, loads of fun, just started running reallllly sweet, too fast... and a money box on wheels!

Best thing about her is she's so powerfull and can do stuff biggers cars can but she's so small too, I can take car, TX, fuel, full tools, extra batteries, lubes & spares all in one small toolbox whereever I go!

New truck wheels en-route, tyre selection to look forward to next.

Big thanks to all who've helped me get this far good.gif

PS - sticking with pull start for time being whilst I've still got a bit of skin left on my fingers laugh.gif

Oh yes, steep learning curve indeed, and still lots to learn!

She's ace, loads of fun, just started running reallllly sweet, too fast... and a money box on wheels!

Best thing about her is she's so powerfull and can do stuff biggers cars can but she's so small too, I can take car, TX, fuel, full tools, extra batteries, lubes & spares all in one small toolbox whereever I go!

New truck wheels en-route, tyre selection to look forward to next.

Big thanks to all who've helped me get this far :good:

PS - sticking with pull start for time being whilst I've still got a bit of skin left on my fingers laugh.gif

yeh this hobby is so damn expensive! u first look at the prices of decent nitros starts around

Afternoon Alex / any other Rascal experts!

Regarding meshing the gears, haven't fired her up since the strip down but the spur gear is definatley tighter to the pinion bell, you gertainly couldn't get a piece of paper between the two!

What adjustments can I make? Can't see anything obviousto adjust?

It's not extremely tight but tighter than it was; advise please (again!) folks....

loosen off the engine bolts under the chassis, and slightly move the engine away from the spur gear, try the gap with some paper,it just needs to mark the paper slighty, then carefully tighten the engine bolts upgood.gif ...u will have moved it over slightly when u removed the engine m8

Un-mounted the engine but couldn't get any more play, it is what it is!

Just fired her up for ten mins in the garden; she started up (and i sh#t you not!) on the FIRST pull!

She's running like an absolute dream, running way too fast, cant get any power down or pull off or even when running, just spinning all over the place laugh.gif

Was just weairng my smoking flip flops when she hit my big toe (I'm still w#nk at driving!) - big toe nail is split in half and lifted off my toe, currently being held together with electrical tape, ouch! sad.gif

Thanks to everyone for getting me this far!

Un-mounted the engine but couldn't get any more play, it is what it is!

Just fired her up for ten mins in the garden; she started up (and i sh#t you not!) on the FIRST pull!

She's running like an absolute dream, running way too fast, cant get any power down or pull off or even when running, just spinning all over the place laugh.gif

Was just weairng my smoking flip flops when she hit my big toe (I'm still w#nk at driving!) - big toe nail is split in half and lifted off my toe, currently being held together with electrical tape, ouch! sad.gif

Thanks to everyone for getting me this far!

ouch no need to go into details of your toe damage! cant eat my tea now :confused: