• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wheels and tyres for a Revo 2.5r

Russ528

Could anyone offer some advice as to which wheels and tyres would fit my Traxxas Revo 2.5r please?

I've looked on here and on a number of websites trying to decipher what is what, but have ended up somewhat confused, as there seems to be so many and loads that don't state offset or diameter. confused.gif

One of my wheels has a hairline crack in it, and the tyres are the originals, so are looking a bit worse for wear round where they're glued to the rim anyway.

Thanks

The best thing to do mate is to get some 17mm hexs off ebay or from Modelsport,that will give you huge scope as to what wheels and tyres to run with.Half inch offset is the norm but upto an inch can be used,I currently run with both half and 1 inch offset wheels but on 23mm hex.If you get the 17mm hexs then wheels and tyres like those on the HPI Hellfire,the black dishes and Aggressor tyres look amazing on the Revo....wink.gif

I must admit, I am also somehwat confused about the actual measurements and such like.

The hex diameter is easy enough...this is the size of the cutout in the wheel where the hub actually fits in to drive the wheel. Both my cars have 17mm which for a 1/8th scale seems pretty standard.

Offset...this is the one I don't know for sure. Is it the distance from the inner edge of the rim to the point where the hex is? If so, then a 1" or 1/2" would affect the amount of clearance available on full lock for the steering and also on the overall width of the buggy. Have I got this right? Wider is better for stability in the turns.

Also, when it comes to wheel diameter, is this pretty much the same for most after market wheels? Quite often this is not listed and would obviously depend also on the tyres fitted. Make too much of a change here and it will affect final gearing.

As long as you don't buy monster truck wheels for a buggy..... is it pretty much all down to personal taste?

Yeah,thats about right.It is down to personal taste to which tyre/rim combo you use on a buggy,personally I liked Hobao swirls with Badlands on my buggies aswell as Hobao angle spikes and white or black dish rims.On a MT it really doesn't matter what diameter tyre used and if you want the same type of performance as stock wheels and tyres give on the Revo,then that can be made up with the gearing.

I run 40 series dish rims with Bowties with 1" offset for grass and dirt running and 40 series Cheyenne rims with MOABs at 7" diameter with 1/2" offset when I want to have a more truck look matched with the Jeep Wrangler shell,both are fine on 15/38 gearing but accelleration is an issue with the larger diameter MOAB tyres and struggles to top out on grass but tarmac and dirt its fine.I also have 40 series Wabash rims 1/2" offset with Crimefighters for general bashing and jumping and the performance with that combo is superb but the truck is a lot more stable with the 1" offset green FSY dish rims I have....wink.gif