• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Soft vs Hard Cased LiPos

willb

I've got both types and to be honest it you are careful there isn't much to choose. In a car like the Slash were the pack is securely mounted somewhere it won't get hit soft cased would be fine.

However, decent soft cased packs are a rarity. Most are either ebay cheapies that don't last or meant for aircraft and slightly the wrong sized, not high enough C rating etc etc

I dont use hard case lipos anymore your limited by mah and cell count also they tend to be pricer and not many companys make them I use maxamps, flightmax, turnigy, tornado, poly-pro, polyquest none of those are hardcased and they take a beating in my Slayer, Savvy Flux, E-revo etc.

I've just ordered 2 Turnigy 5000mAh 2s LiPos for my Slash at $20 each (not hard cased)! I'm going to line the tray with a small amount of foam to give them a little extra padding for the rough landings! For the price I paid I wont be too fussed if they die quickly but here's hoping they wont.

I double heat shrink my soft lipos makes 'em nice and sturdy!

I wouldn't go anywhere near a soft cased LiPo in a car without a home-made hard case used. Heatshrink won't stop a flying bodyclip or sharp bit of grit piercing it. I've seen triple heatshrunk NiMH cells have the shrink torn through in an Associated B3 and thats a close fitting body, and the battery well protected....

Not worth the risk at all.

The slash does have a sunk battery housing place so maybe I'll get lucky? I was going to line the top and bottom with foam so they are a bit better padded.

You can cut foam with a knife....which is sharp... Its not about padding, its about protection from things hitting the pack and puncturing it.

Hi

I have never used lipos but the hardcase lipos look a bit brittle but what do i know.

Nothing. :good: Hardcase LiPo packs are incredibly tough.

i doubt anything would puncture it, would have to be very unlucky

i have run soft cased lipos for almost a year now and have been bashing the rustler/slash pretty hard and have had no problems yet

same, i run them in my 8ight and CRT and have no problems whatsoever ;)

I wouldn't go anywhere near a soft cased LiPo in a car without a home-made hard case used. Heatshrink won't stop a flying bodyclip or sharp bit of grit piercing it. I've seen triple heatshrunk NiMH cells have the shrink torn through in an Associated B3 and thats a close fitting body, and the battery well protected....

Not worth the risk at all.

not saying it wont but iv yet to have any major damage on any of my soft case lipos usually most the small rocks are picked up by the rear wheels

Soft case lipos are surprisingly tough, but obviously are more prone to being pierced. I wouldn't worry about using one if the battery tray offers good protection

Edited by bb2120

I need to buy a few LiPos for my brushless Slash.

How well do soft LiPos stand up to some hard bashing at skate parks and places (easily 20ft jumps/drops)? Would I be better off buying hard cased?

Hi

Here`s my ten pence worth...

1) hardcase protect your battery

2) You could change car / buggy / truggy and the battery tray not be as protective so soft lipos wouldn`t be suitable.

3) Isn`t it best to be safe than sorry

4) There is no major difference in price

Just my opinon i`d go hardcase everytime!

Regards

Ive already proved i know nothing about lipos so what would you reccomened for use in a 1/10 buggy/truggy with an Ezrun brushless set or can it even take it.

Thanks

Also depends on what you are after.

A 5000mAh 15C pack would be fine if you want mega runtimes, but a 3500 30C will offer more punch and performance, just for less time.

I think it depends on your application, you will be hard pressed to find hard cased lipos that provide power needed to run the MMM 6s with good runtime, as the motor needs 120amps and with the so 2x 3s hard cased lipos would be too big to work 5000mah at 25c min, but a nice TC could do fine with a 2500mah 20c lipo.