• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Baja light pods - 6V

perruzo

Anyone wanna knock me up one of these?

610x.jpg

I'll take the one in blue, might get an electric shock when the fun starts though :ph34r:

If someone who knows a lot can let me know what resistor i need to prevent a short circuit overheating the nipples i will knock some up - no probs :P :P :P

All done :D

These mothers are bright :blink:

Thanks peruzzo :good:

I told you they are very shiny, now i want you to look directly into them for a few seconds and see how long your eyesight is affected for :ph34r:

Glad you like them mate, and if you or anybody else is concerned about the slight possibility of a short circuit get a 1/2 amp cartridge fuse & inline holder to put in the supply wiring. But only do this is you a a scaredy cat wuss type person who reckon that these things will not work when they are wired up in this fashion. :whistling:

I would recommend some sealing up of the pods if you are gonna be running in the wet at night (possibly a bad combination for the rest of the Baja anyway B) )

Very pleased that people are getting these things working now, seeing some good results.

What have you used as a power supply topper? the main battery?

Edited by perruzo

I told you they are very shiny, now i want you to look directly into them for a few seconds and see how long your eyesight is affected for :ph34r:

Glad you like them mate, and if you or anybody else is concerned about the slight possibility of a short circuit get a 1/2 amp cartridge fuse & inline holder to put in the supply wiring. But only do this is you a a scaredy cat wuss type person who reckon that these things will not work when they are wired up in this fashion. :whistling:

I would recommend some sealing up of the pods if you are gonna be running in the wet at night (possibly a bad combination for the rest of the Baja anyway B) )

Very pleased that people are getting these things working now, seeing some good results.

What have you used as a power supply topper? the main battery?

Out of curiosity i already looked at them head on :lol:

All i could see was 24 beaming lights for about 5 mins after :( that hurt !

Im ganna look into sealing them,maybe some silicone of other similar sealant,only needs a small amount rubbed on with the fingers and then snap the pods shut,

Dont think ill bother with a fuse for now,if all the top manufacturers make them this way and other people i know of have done it without fuses and resistors,then thats good enough for me ;)

Ive run both cables into a tamiya plug which will be plugged into the main rx pack,i might look into running them off another battery at some point,maybe a 4 cell AA pack if it would work,they wont be on 24/7 so dont really need another hump pack imo plus its to weighty.

I have done some for Keenan to run off a 9v battery, they have been on test for the last 3 hours, yes thats 3 hours! they have dimmed down now but i cannot believe how long these are gonna keep working for....

Anyway my new super dooper light pod prototype is nearly finished now but the circuit needs some fine polishing as there are wires going everywhere & all over the place on the PCB but it going to look so cool.....watch this space for the world exclusive release in a few days.....

Thing is with 3rd channel - most baja owners already have a pb killswitch so no 3rd channel is available. I would rather have a killswitch than lights that operate off the rx

Where are you getting the pods from? I could possibly make up a few sets that'd run off the third channel to sell on the bay. :P

Yeah if you need any guidance just give me a shout rofl

Thing is with 3rd channel - most baja owners already have a pb killswitch so no 3rd channel is available. I would rather have a killswitch than lights that operate off the rx

No problem - you could run them off a split cable on the throttle servo so they come on when you accelerate too :P

Or likewise on the third channel so you've got a bright visual indication of what the killswitch is up to. :P

Glad you like them mate, and if you or anybody else is concerned about the slight possibility of a short circuit get a 1/2 amp cartridge fuse & inline holder to put in the supply wiring. But only do this is you a a scaredy cat wuss type person who reckon that these things will not work when they are wired up in this fashion.

You obviously don't know the first thing about how a diode works. There isn't a 'slight possibility' of a short circuit. An LED used without a resistor IS short circuited because a diode has a very low internal resistance, on par with the resistance of a wire. It's not a lamp, it's an electronic switch that just happens to release photons.

it's an electronic switch that just happens to release photons.

StarTrekEnterprise1701A_freedesktopwallpaper_p.jpg

Terry has got one too but his LED's are infra red so he can turn the telly over by scratchin his b****ks :lol:

That had to go, I was interfering with next doors wifi :(

every time I did have a scratch next door was downloading a boy george song, go figure.

You obviously don't know the first thing about how a diode works. There isn't a 'slight possibility' of a short circuit. An LED used without a resistor IS short circuited because a diode has a very low internal resistance, on par with the resistance of a wire. It's not a lamp, it's an electronic switch that just happens to release photons.

You obviously don't know the first thing about Dilithium crystals nor flux capacitors or else you would see that the foo foo valve prevents such a short circuit. :lol: @ Hiks

Look atterlatus - me & quite a few others have wired these things up and they work, loads of stuff you have said about them not working has been proved untrue. They do get sufficient voltage off a 9v battery to work on threes, i can also put a resistor inline with these and they still work - which you said they would not. They have been working all night off the 9v battery with the voltage being nowhere near what you said they required.

Whilst i respect some of your electronics knowledge you have come over to me as a divvy due to the way you have worded some of your posts, "you obviously don't know the first thing about how a diode works" is a case in point. Do you actually know me?

Yes you may know more about electronics than me but i actually spent the time to do a tutorial to help people out - not trying to pull them down and show that "i know more than you do" which is how it seems to be coming from you. i may be wrong - you may actually be trying to help but it is not coming across to me like that....you have simply baffled half of us with figures and told the other half that these things won't work...when they obviously do work.

Edited by perruzo

+1 on that perruzo , your guide made me go out and spend a couple of quid on what turned out to be a nice easy project for my baja , well done to ya mate and thanks for the time you put in to help us all out :)

They do get sufficient voltage off a 9v battery to work on threes, i can also put a resistor inline with these and they still work - which you said they would not.

Actually.... I never said they wouldn't. Depends entirely on the diodes used and what their minimum voltage drop is. You've just stated yourself what I've been trying to say the whole time though - you can put a resistor in there and they still work. That's the whole idea of the resistor - it's not meant to make them dimmer or stop anything from working. The resistor just uses up whatever voltage is left over when the LEDs have taken what they need. They get first dibs on the volts in these little circuits.

What the resistor does is limit the current that can flow, rather than the voltage. Without a current limiting resistor you can land up with too much current flowing. With it, you can't. As you've seen yourself, the presence of a resistor doesn't affect the lights. So for the sake of 10p, is it not worth people just dropping one in and knowing they won't be melting anything important? ;)

I'm not trying to make this personal or anything bud, and you've done some great work putting the tutorial together. I just don't want to end up posting an 'I told you so' in a few months time when someone turns up with a melted baja because their LEDs were a slightly different spec to yours.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Aterlatus

If the resistor maths don't add up when they are run in pairs off 6v (as per guide) would a inline fuse not be the best option to prevent over current situation, as they is very little maths involved in selecting a fuse? And the fuse would be easily replaceable whereas the resistor is not as easy to change?

You wouldn't need to change the resistor ;) I've only ever seen one burn out and I haven't got a clue how a friend did it. Probably from running 10 amps through it :lol:

Edit: Maybe someone should try using these? :P

Edited by Matt B

so in a short circuit situation this resistor is going to protect the rest of your baja?. surely if/when shorted it is capable to pull an awful lot of current through that resistor - you mention 10amps - surely then this would overheat the wiring and cause the very burnout we are trying to avoid or would the resistor sacrifice itself?

The resistor would burn out at that kind of current as it would be many times the wattage it can disspate :lol: Now that was in a lab experiment with an unregulated power supply and nothing else in the circuit.

If the resistor maths don't add up when they are run in pairs off 6v (as per guide) would a inline fuse not be the best option to prevent over current situation, as they is very little maths involved in selecting a fuse? And the fuse would be easily replaceable whereas the resistor is not as easy to change?

If it's the maths that scares you then just lob a 10 Ohm in there. Won't be far off the mark and should limit current enough to not melt anything.

The issue with making the maths add up is down to a couple of things. The diodes have a tolerance, so the max/min voltages for saturation will vary even from the design spec. Colour has an even greater effect on the drop, as can be seen from this table on wikipedia. Add on top of that the fact we all know a 6V pack is never truly 6V (especially when fully charged) and things can get tricky. Only way to find out the true voltage drops is to run the diode set with a resistor in series from a higher voltage source and check the voltage across the resistor. Voltage source minus the voltage across the resistor is the saturation voltage of your diode sets.